Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-20-2018, 07:02 PM   #1
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:
Default who knows their way around electric motor repair? need help!

So my table saw motor had a bit of a blow up this weekend. It scared the hell out of me and there was a bit of smoke and burnt smell coming from the engine as well as a grinding noise.

I opened up the motor to check the bearings and then managed to replace the one seized bearing I found. After I fired it back up I am still hearing some grinding noises. Really thought the one new bearing would fix that. (I have a video so you can hear the noise - ill be uploading shortly)

Here is where I need help - there are a couple of more bearings still in the assembly that I don't know how to access. Any help or pointers are greatly appreciated.

working on posting photos and videos at the moment.

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:17 PM   #2
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

motor in housing

seized bearing

there are two more bearings in this assembly but I do not know how to disassemble this.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:28 PM   #3
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

video of the grinding noise as the motor powers down. You can hear it just as the motor comes to a rest.

sorry for the low quality clip but it is just for the noise reference

Old 02-20-2018, 11:48 PM   #4
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm far from an expert, but I've worked on woodworking machinery before. Try turning the arbor by hand. If the arbor bearing (3rd picture) is bad it'll usually feel or sound rough even just moving it by hand. If it doesn't, it might still be good.

As for the smoke/smell, it might've been the seized bearing generating too much heat and melting something on the armature, or it could be a problem with the brushes or the motor windings.

From what I understand, those universal direct drive motors are usually not very serviceable. That said, technically the armature assembly is a unit that's separate from the gearbox. With enough force they should separate which will you give you access to the other bearings. Here's an armature assembly on its own:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/cf4AA...BdO/s-l300.jpg

Maybe try putting it in a vise? If you can set it up so you're pressing the end of the arbor towards the gearbox it should theoretically pop out. Though sometimes there are retaining rings and whatnot holding it together so who knows whether it'll work. You could try finding a parts diagram for the saw and see if you can get any more info from that.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2018, 08:11 AM   #5
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
I'm far from an expert, but I've worked on woodworking machinery before. Try turning the arbor by hand. If the arbor bearing (3rd picture) is bad it'll usually feel or sound rough even just moving it by hand. If it doesn't, it might still be good.

As for the smoke/smell, it might've been the seized bearing generating too much heat and melting something on the armature, or it could be a problem with the brushes or the motor windings.

From what I understand, those universal direct drive motors are usually not very serviceable. That said, technically the armature assembly is a unit that's separate from the gearbox. With enough force they should separate which will you give you access to the other bearings. Here's an armature assembly on its own:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/cf4AA...BdO/s-l300.jpg

Maybe try putting it in a vise? If you can set it up so you're pressing the end of the arbor towards the gearbox it should theoretically pop out. Though sometimes there are retaining rings and whatnot holding it together so who knows whether it'll work. You could try finding a parts diagram for the saw and see if you can get any more info from that.
Thanks for the info, apparently my brother owns a press and I'll try and use that tomorrow to get the piece sperated. Another friend chimed in stating that the gear maybe stripped as well. Next up, get it open I guess!

Thanks for your input.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:08 AM   #6
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wromg thread.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 02-24-2018 at 04:12 AM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 04:09 AM   #7
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Double ppst.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 02-24-2018 at 04:12 AM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:18 AM   #8
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whats a replacement motor worth for one of those.

Sometimes the effort spent to repair can be better utilized on something else.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:49 PM   #9
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Watch some videos from our fellow skookum canuckistanian AvE?

He seems to take apart everything including hundreds of motors

Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote