Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-26-2016, 03:45 PM   #261
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That's awsome Hack & Lube. I've been sending this to people today because i thought it was cool but that was before I knew you opened it. I'll be there for sure.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 04:06 PM   #262
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Hello guys, I've just opened a VR Arcade here in Calgary! At the current time, we have a specifically padded room with two HTC Vives and a maximum of four players per 1 hour session. If this is popular, we will look into bringing in other new VR technologies and more spaces for people to enjoy!

Our plan is to buy every good VR game on the Steam library and allow you to try everything you would possibly want to play. If there's a specific game you want to try, please let me know! Level 1 VR is located inside Level 1 Escape Room which is another fun activity to try.

Calgarypuck members get 10% off each VR session! Just PM me and I'll send you an individualized promo code!

http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgary...=1472171325138
That's great! I hope you do well with this. I wish I had that here.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:01 PM   #263
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hello guys, I've just opened a VR Arcade here in Calgary!

That's awesome man! This website might be of interest to you:

https://vrcover.com/

They are pretty back logged though, shipping might take a little while.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:04 AM   #264
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good luck Hack&Lube, that's awesome
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:01 AM   #265
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Right on Hack! And you're close to Peter's Drive-In. I'm going to go on a VR roller-coaster and hurl a milkshake.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:54 PM   #266
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hello guys, I've just opened a VR Arcade here in Calgary! At the current time, we have a specifically padded room with two HTC Vives and a maximum of four players per 1 hour session. If this is popular, we will look into bringing in other new VR technologies and more spaces for people to enjoy!

Our plan is to buy every good VR game on the Steam library and allow you to try everything you would possibly want to play. If there's a specific game you want to try, please let me know! Level 1 VR is located inside Level 1 Escape Room which is another fun activity to try.

Calgarypuck members get 10% off each VR session! Just PM me and I'll send you an individualized promo code!

http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgary...=1472171325138

You run Level 1? Awesome I love that place, finished all 4 escape rooms - need to try the VR though!
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:41 PM   #267
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

NSFW

Spoiler!
Old 09-03-2016, 04:42 PM   #268
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

So I just got to test ps vr and it was great. The headset was almost weightless and worked really well. I like using the Playstation controller, wish I could have tested with the ps move controllers but they didn't have them.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Superflyer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2016, 10:51 AM   #269
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
So I just got to test ps vr and it was great. The headset was almost weightless and worked really well. I like using the Playstation controller, wish I could have tested with the ps move controllers but they didn't have them.
What did you try?
Old 09-06-2016, 11:45 AM   #270
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

I can't remember the name of the game but they had 5 games and I played one where you drive a tank and have to take out hostiles. The guy in front of me played a space shooter game and it looked pretty cool, he said it was awesome and was a blast as well.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:11 AM   #271
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

If you want to try the Vive, the Microsoft store is dead on weekday evenings. I had less than a 5 minute wait to try it. I was really impressed with it but the demo is way too short (for obvious reason). I can't believe how much I liked Tilt Brush. Makes me very excited for Dreams on PSVR.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:29 PM   #272
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

For strategy/tower defense guys:

Old 09-17-2016, 03:41 PM   #273
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

There were 4 kiosks set up with PSVR units at south centre mall today. I played 5 minutes of Eve Valkyrie, and much like the Vive demo it was cool but too short. I was actually pretty impressed with the graphics given how much talk is about the PSVR being the weak sibling of the VR rigs.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:17 PM   #274
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huh, Palmer Luckey is blowing up reddit and the gaming forums right now. I wonder if he's just hoping to hide for a while but I'm guessing he's done from Facebook and Oculus now.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:59 PM   #275
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
You run Level 1? Awesome I love that place, finished all 4 escape rooms - need to try the VR though!
Thanks man, I'm less involved in the Escape side but stay tuned, work is currently in progress to add significantly to that.

As for VR, if anybody is looking to try something specific, I can look into adding it to the games library but there are some hoops to jump through for some games as we need to apply for commercial licenses!
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2016, 10:23 PM   #276
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Journalists are getting review units of PSVR. All signs point to Wednesday the 5th as being the day the embargo lifts and we start seeing reviews and such. I'm far FAR too hyped for this.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:14 PM   #277
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Can anyone who's tried the PS VR give me a brief rundown on how it compares to the Vive and the google cardboard? Those are the only 2 devices I've tried
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:39 AM   #278
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I can't speak to Google Cardboard, but I have tried PSVR and Vive.

Comfort wise the PSVR is a little bit amazing. I feel I could wear it for the length of a movie without problem. The Vive on the other hand felt like a tight scuba mask. It felt a bit like my cheeks were being forced down. The PSVR sits more like a halo and you can independently move the goggle part closer or further from your face. The weight distributes on your head, whereas the Vive was more on my face.

The controllers on the Vive are out-of-this-world cool. I couldn't believe how real they felt. The Tilt Brush demo i tried really showed how intuitive the design was, as I was jumping in and out of brushes and colours immediately. I felt like a nerdy Bob Ross with a giant palette.

The PSVR certainly didn't track as well as the Vive, but given what they're using that's not shocking. They've clearly had to make concessions to get the price point down, and I think that's where we're going to see it the most. I was expecting the graphic fidelity to be where I saw the difference, but in truth the PSVR looked far better than I expected. I played Eve Valkyrie and Battle Zone and thought both looked amazing.

In the end the Vive obviously has the power and "feel" nailed down. At the same time it has price and convenience working against it. I got out of the PC world because I'm just not patient/smart enough to troubleshoot them. PSVR is much more plug-and-play, and that's immeasurably more appealing to me. I'll happily take the hit in fidelity and tracking to save frustration and $1000+.

If you're a stickler for fidelity and already have a monster PC, I think the decision sways much further in Vive's direction.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2016, 10:03 AM   #279
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I can't speak to Google Cardboard, but I have tried PSVR and Vive.

Comfort wise the PSVR is a little bit amazing. I feel I could wear it for the length of a movie without problem. The Vive on the other hand felt like a tight scuba mask. It felt a bit like my cheeks were being forced down. The PSVR sits more like a halo and you can independently move the goggle part closer or further from your face. The weight distributes on your head, whereas the Vive was more on my face.

The controllers on the Vive are out-of-this-world cool. I couldn't believe how real they felt. The Tilt Brush demo i tried really showed how intuitive the design was, as I was jumping in and out of brushes and colours immediately. I felt like a nerdy Bob Ross with a giant palette.

The PSVR certainly didn't track as well as the Vive, but given what they're using that's not shocking. They've clearly had to make concessions to get the price point down, and I think that's where we're going to see it the most. I was expecting the graphic fidelity to be where I saw the difference, but in truth the PSVR looked far better than I expected. I played Eve Valkyrie and Battle Zone and thought both looked amazing.

In the end the Vive obviously has the power and "feel" nailed down. At the same time it has price and convenience working against it. I got out of the PC world because I'm just not patient/smart enough to troubleshoot them. PSVR is much more plug-and-play, and that's immeasurably more appealing to me. I'll happily take the hit in fidelity and tracking to save frustration and $1000+.

If you're a stickler for fidelity and already have a monster PC, I think the decision sways much further in Vive's direction.

Thanks for the insight, I really appreciate it. When I was trying out the vive I was doing some simple demo where you just bat balloons around and I couldn't believe how real it felt. Truly amazing stuff.

To me that's half of the "cool" factor that VR has going for it. Unfortunately, i don't own a powerful PC and will not in the immediate future so I think the PS VR is the way to go for me. Any idea if there will be more preorders available?
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:25 AM   #280
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So Walmart cancelled my PSVR pre-order because apparently they weren't going to have it available in a timely fashion so they just cancelled the order. Not to freaking happy about that!
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote