Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-02-2019, 05:35 PM   #161
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I wonder if Telsa's software knows about the usage for certain stops and tells you about peak usage? If not that would be handy.
Warning, you have 10% charge left. Also warning, all Superchargers within your range have a 2 hour wait. Have a nice day!

Like that?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2019, 06:09 PM   #162
zamler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
No, but how do you pump gas if there's a power outage?
How do you do anything when the power is out.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2019, 06:32 PM   #163
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
How do you do anything when the power is out.

Presumably if there is a backup generator you can get gas. In the old days some people carried cash.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:49 PM   #164
zamler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Presumably if there is a backup generator you can get gas. In the old days some people carried cash.
And?

If you have a solar setup with a Tesla Powerwall you can store energy and charge your car at home no matter what happens to the grid. Speaking of power grid using battery farms to buffer greatly improves the reliability and also lowers cost. Search up Tesla Australia battery project

BTW Tesla is likely going to move to grid storage at their charging stations along with solar.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:00 AM   #165
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And?

If you have a solar setup with a Tesla Powerwall you can store energy and charge your car at home no matter what happens to the grid. Speaking of power grid using battery farms to buffer greatly improves the reliability and also lowers cost. Search up Tesla Australia battery project

BTW Tesla is likely going to move to grid storage at their charging stations along with solar.

This has gone on to some weird tangent. I was just explaining my reasoning behind why a backup generator might be useful at a gas station.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:10 AM   #166
zamler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This has gone on to some weird tangent. I was just explaining my reasoning behind why a backup generator might be useful at a gas station.
Well you said or assumed a petrol station is "relatively simple" which clearly it isn't. But I found it odd you asked a question that you had previously answered.
Quote:
Aren't gas stations relatively simple though? They don't even *really* need any supporting infrastructure - worst-case you need a backup generator to run the pumps in the event of a power outage. Maybe I am oversimplifying how I think a gas station works though.
Quote:
Don't know why you think it's a weird tangent to compare a petrol station, power failures and charging up your car at home. You are the one that brought up power failures.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:39 AM   #167
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well you said or assumed a petrol station is "relatively simple" which clearly it isn't. But I found it odd you asked a question that you had previously answered.

Don't know why you think it's a weird tangent to compare a petrol station, power failures and charging up your car at home. You are the one that brought up power failures.

I must have missed something; I thought the topic at hand was about scaling up the infrastructure for EV charging stations relative to gas stations.

I only brought up power failures as the reason why a gas station might need auxiliary power (I remember there was a massive windstorm around Revelstoke one summer and we were to fill up because one station was still able to run it’s pumps), but otherwise the operation of a gas station just seems to be refilling an underground tank and pumping it out as needed, so a gas station wouldn’t need much outside of itself to operate - and therefore quicker to build out than a series of EV charging stations along the country’s highways in places the grid might not be as well supplied to handle a number of cars at once.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:16 AM   #168
zamler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm saying we divert the massive resources dedicated to oil exploration, refinement, transport and fueling infrastructure into grid expansion, local storage, solar and the like. The gas station is a very tiny part of fueling our cars.

I think what you're missing is how much energy it takes to get the petrol to your favourite station. If you want to talk about the grid and electricity in general it takes a massive amount as part of the refinery process. And the electricity usage is scratching the surface look what it takes to run an oil refinery. Just the refinery not exploration, drilling, fracking, building of the refinery itself, fuel transport.
https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pnp..._dcu_nus_a.htm

If you want to talk about cost a refinery can cost $15 billion, takes at least 5 years to build. $15 billion would pay for, if my quick math is correct 150,000 charging stations (which contain 10-15 outlets each).

Look at it from another angle, it will not be expensive to convert a petrol station to charging stations. Plus we don't need to do this overnight if it takes 20-30 years that's great. I'm not saying everyone can own an EV overnight and we'll be fine that's silly. In 1908 did people say, nah that car will never catch on where will I get my gasoline? I guess some did....
Old 12-03-2019, 09:47 AM   #169
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
You don't. I hit Lake Louise on utter fumes once because of a power outage in Field and Golden.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:10 PM   #170
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
At the far back of a parking lot next to a pickup truck with a hose and your lips.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:46 PM   #171
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Warning, you have 10% charge left. Also warning, all Superchargers within your range have a 2 hour wait. Have a nice day!

Like that?
Or at least direct you to one with a smaller line that might not be the obvious choice.

Or planning a trip a longer distance and it takes such things into account.

Mind you we already have this for gas, the rules are just simpler.

1. Stay away from Costco