Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 10:22 AM   #4241
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The Flames have given up a lot of draft picks in trades over the years with the Hamonic and Hamilton deals and I'm not sure it's worth trading another 1st round pick (I can't see why they would ask for less unless there's a prospect or roster player they are interested in) for a guy that can be had in free agency in July. We may have to live with the Smith/Rittich tandem this season and hope we aren't the new Dallas Stars who could score but not keep pucks out of the net.
The only real hole on the roster today, tomorrow, and the day after tomorrow is a starting goaltender.

Bobrovsky is a high-end starting goaltender. If we can get him for a 1st round pick plus some smaller bits, and then sign him to a 5-6 year deal - holy crap is that a great deal.

With how young our team is, and how young we are at almost every position - I think now is the exact time to stabilize everything with a high end goalie. Realistically, we don't NEED a 1st round draft pick to come in. Our roster is set, outside of spots to compete for at the bottom of the line-up - and we already have a good number of players to compete for those spots.

Get a goalie. Give this team an honest shot at it because the goaltending we've received from Smith since January 2018 is bad enough to sink a team.

Last edited by ComixZone; 11-05-2018 at 10:30 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 10:23 AM   #4242
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Getting Bob is like the Raps getting Kawhi. You're a getting a top-2/3 guy in the world at his position and while he might not be around past this year god damn it will he help you win now.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:26 AM   #4243
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Would like to see flashes with Bob in the upcoming games that he will get back to his elite self in short order. If the BJs are still listening, then you try and pull that trigger.

I agree that the 1st while would be valuable, may not be needed, and it's likely that the player would not have a real impact within the time window that this immediate core has to "compete" (which IMO is the 4 years including this season that Gaudreau is still guaranteed to be suiting up in Flames silks).
Old 11-05-2018, 10:32 AM   #4244
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Makes no sense for the BJ's to do this trade. I don't see them punting this season by trading BoBo and that's what they'd be doing.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:59 AM   #4245
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:
Flames Flames @ 44 Contracts:

I guess Yasin Ehliz's contract was terminated.

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/stat...28980370944000
Old 11-05-2018, 11:15 AM   #4246
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The Flames have given up a lot of draft picks in trades over the years with the Hamonic and Hamilton deals and I'm not sure it's worth trading another 1st round pick (I can't see why they would ask for less unless there's a prospect or roster player they are interested in) for a guy that can be had in free agency in July. We may have to live with the Smith/Rittich tandem this season and hope we aren't the new Dallas Stars who could score but not keep pucks out of the net.
The Flames gave up a 2015 first round pick for Hamilton but then acquired one in Hanifin this summer when they moved Dougie to Carolina so in my opinion that is a non-factor when talking about moving picks.

The Hamonic trade was a steep price to pay for a 27 year old though and moving a 1st for a 30+ goalie is not the right move either in my opinion. We f we could move a 1st+ for a goalie like Gibson (young and proven) then I would be all for it but I do not think the Flames can afford to have back to back drafts without a 1st and 2nd. I also do not see a goalie with the pedigree of a Gibson being moved by a team either.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:25 AM   #4247
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This is backwards^

The flames mistake was moving picks when they weren't a playoff team in hopes of becoming a playoff team.

Now that they are a playoff Calibre roster is the time to move picks.

Unfortunately, they arguably still need those picks to help push the roster over the edge by getting a dube/valimaki/Andersson in the next year or two while already a contender.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:28 AM   #4248
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

nm
Old 11-05-2018, 11:34 AM   #4249
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
This is backwards^

The flames mistake was moving picks when they weren't a playoff team in hopes of becoming a playoff team.

Unfortunately, they arguably still need those picks to help push the roster over the edge by getting a dube/valimaki/Andersson in the next year or two while already a contender.
It's only November 5th and the Oilers and Canucks current standings could also invoke illusions of playoff calibre. Even with a better goaltender it's going to be tough to win consistently giving up the high grade scoring chances the Flames do. I would like to see team defense improve before getting too far ahead of ourselves with where this team currently is. In addition to Bobrovsky, guys like Varlamov and Talbot are also scheduled to be UFA so there may be some options that don't require assets going the other way. As well there could be other teams highly interested in him that may drive the price up very high. It's really hard to speculate from where we are just what Treliving has for realistic options at this point.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:54 AM   #4250
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

That’s kind of the nature of the beast, though. Right now, Bobrovsky doesn’t want to sign in Columbus and they’re being forced to count on Korpisalo which means he might be available. Varlamov and Talbot are both on their way to becoming UFA. It looks like the Flames have a decent amount of options.

That could change in weeks. We could be left with no suitable options for a starting goaltender on July 2nd, so what do you do? Wait to see if the price goes down or other options remain? Or make a move early and pay more in the process?

I don’t think there is a right answer, but if the Flames don’t have a top 15 starter next year, they’re in trouble.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:04 PM   #4251
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I don’t think there is a right answer, but if the Flames don’t have a top 15 starter next year, they’re in trouble.
I think they're already in trouble.

This team is on the brink of being a legitimate contender. Bad goaltending can destabilize everything. If we can turn the one glaring organizational issue into a strength, the time is now to act on that.

No more half measures. Assuming he is available due to what's going on in Columbus, go get Bob without subtracting anything critical from the NHL roster.

To Columbus:
2019 1st round pick (CGY)
Mike Smith
Tyler Parsons/Jon Gillies

To Calgary:
Sergei Bobrovsky

This gives Columbus some futures for Bobrovsky while also giving them a veteran back-up to Korpisalo.

Cap-wise, I also do wonder just how long Michael Stone will be sitting in the rafters alongside Prout.

Last edited by ComixZone; 11-05-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:06 PM   #4252
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Yeah, we're definitely winning in spite of goaltending so far this season.

That will not last in the NHL. If it continues we'll easily be looking back at a bad week or two week period in the coming months that sees us on the bubble or out and then fighting to get back in like every other year, despite the contender forward and defensive group.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:19 PM   #4253
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

This team is on the brink of being a legitimate contender. Bad goaltending can destabilize everything. If we can turn the one glaring organizational issue into a strength, the time is now to act on that.

No more half measures. Assuming he is available due to what's going on in Columbus, go get Bob without subtracting anything critical from the NHL roster.

To Columbus:
Mike Smith

To Calgary:
Sergei Bobrovsky

This gives Columbus some futures for Bobrovsky while also giving them a veteran back-up to Korpisalo.

Cap-wise, I also do wonder just how long Michael Stone will be sitting in the rafters alongside Prout.
If Bob walks in the off-season that turns out to be a horrendous trade for Calgary unless they win the cup. Bobrovsky is getting 7.5M today and will want at least that much on a long term deal moving forward and I am not sure the Flames want their highest paid player to be the goalie. We didn’t pick on the first 3 rounds last year and do not have a 2nd this year. There are no longer any blue chip prospects in the pipeline so are we hitting the cupboards before we even win a round in the playoffs?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 01:20 PM   #4254
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm more OK dealing away a 1st for a stud Vezina caliber goalie than most here probably would be. It's a pretty big hole right now, and the last piece needed to become a legit contender, and also:

Our top 4 scoring forwards are all 24 or younger, and we have 3 D in our top 6 that are 21 years old and all look like they''l be 1st or 2nd pairing Dmen for a long time.

Hate to not have 1st rounder for two years in a row, but the core is young and good, they need a legit goalie in his prime behind them.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:24 PM   #4255
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
This is backwards^

IIRC when the Flames moved picks to get both Hamilton and Hamonic they were coming off playoff appearances. I know I believed that they'd likely make the POs last year. I didn't think they'd had a particularly strong year and they were still good enough to make the wild card. I figured on improvements from Bennett, Brodie, Brouwer and Elliott from off years, plus adding Jankowski and Hamonic, and they'd improve their record.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:42 PM   #4256
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

To Columbus:
Mike Smith

To Calgary:
Sergei Bobrovsky

You think Gillies and Parsons have the same value? lol. So you make that deal, hurt our future and trade away another 1st and a goalie prospect for an upcoming UFA that can either walk or knows he can demand whatever he wants from BT because the Flames can't afford to pay that for a rental. Ya, great call.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:48 PM   #4257
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
You think Gillies and Parsons have the same value? lol. So you make that deal, hurt our future and trade away another 1st and a goalie prospect for an upcoming UFA that can either walk or knows he can demand whatever he wants from BT because the Flames can't afford to pay that for a rental. Ya, great call.
The only way you part with that 1st imo is with an extension in place for Bob. Otherwise no deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zulu29 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 02:51 PM   #4258
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It would be hard to believe the Flames would give up that package for a strictly UFA without some assurance he will sign here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 02:53 PM   #4259
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I think it’s a good deal IF brad can get him signed. But I agree, bob would have the flames nuts in a vice and could ask for whatever he wanted. Cap space is going to be a big deal this summer.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:07 PM   #4260
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I think they're already in trouble...
I think what you have outlined is an incredibly risky deal that is the very definition of a reactionary move with more potential to hurt the team long term than it would help for a single season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
I think it’s a good deal IF brad can get him signed. But I agree, bob would have the flames nuts in a vice and could ask for whatever he wanted. Cap space is going to be a big deal this summer.
This is precisely why the Flames need to be especially diligent in how they address goaltending over the course of the season. More than likely, there will not be an upgrade available until well into the second half, and most probably not until the TD. I still believe that the best option for Treliving is to ride this out unlessl it becomes unavoidable this year, and we are a long way from that point. I expect a big move for a goalie in the offseason, and not before exactly for these reason:

· it's too expensive now, and probably too expensive at any point of the year
· Smith is likely not as bad as he has shown thus far, and Rittich looks capable of playing more games than last season
· There is not a tonne of urgency to go "all in" this year. The team looks like it could be very good now, but they are also nicely set up for a few years yet, which still buys time to put the finishing touches on the roster that Treliving has built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread