Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 10:10 AM   #2201
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
6 months from now we'll all be saying 'dougie who?'

Who here knows me to be a flames rose coloured optimist or cheerleader?

I maintain, right now, Hanifin is a better 3 zone defender than Hamilton. He will not score as many goals, but that's low on my priority for guys charged primarily with prevented them and moving the puck quickly and effectively out of danger areas. I think Hanifin is already better at that than Hamilton is.

Can't believe the Flames were on the positive end of capitalizing on the high water mark for players.

Hanifin is probably better at moving the puck out of danger more quickly than Hamilton, which is why I compared him to Brodie.

However, he is definitely not better defensively right now. You do realize he has only been playing defence for 3 seasons now, right? I mean, he has always been a defencemen, but throughout his junior career and his year of college, his coaches have never taught him how to be a defencemen. Where did I get this from? From an interview with Hanifin in his first or second year in Carolina.

Repeat - he has only been learning how to defend for the last 3 seasons. I think he will get there, and I do think there is a good chance that in time he will get better than Hamilton, but it won't be this year. It won't surprise me to see Kulak bumped up on the left side for a stretch and Hanifin sheltered somewhat on the third pairing at times. I won't freak out if that happens - there is a reason behind it.

I do think he is excellent at moving the puck and starting a transition.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:11 AM   #2202
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
So you want to use assets to dump Brouwer's salary somewhere else, in order to have the cap space to get assets for someone else's salary dump?

Seriously, why not just keep the problem you already have?

I never said that. I'd rather just bury Brouwer in the AHL for 2 years and get it over with.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:27 AM   #2203
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

For some reason, it is not letting me quote FDW, so let me do it myself:

Flames Draft Watcher said:

Quote:
I don’t think freeing up a roster spot is irrelevant. I think another issue not enough of us are taking into account is that a veteran player often doesn’t handle being scratched gracefully. You think Brouwer is going to be happy and cool with being the 13th or 14th forward? It’s possible he might but it’s as likely or moreso that he pouts, complains and becomes a distraction. The roster spot also prevents other players from getting ice time. Frankly I’d rather have Czarnik, Hathaway or Lazar in Brouwer’s spot. I’m not convinced he’s any better than those guys so I’d rather play the younger player who isn’t on the decline.

The salary argument is merely icing on the cake.

I think a Brouwer buyout makes a lot of sense when you combine all the reasons. I don’t think trading any valuable assets to trade him salary retained makes anywhere near as much sense.

I don't know if Brouwer would pout or not. I don't think anyone on this forum could say it. Would he be angry? I would be disappointed if he didn't respond that way, but actually put and become a distraction? He did get the "A" for being a good leader, so it would be a bit of a leap to just assume that he would pout. If he does (which would shock me), you send him to Stockton.

I also don't think that his contract spot is important. Who would you rather have as the 13th forward? Maybe Quine or Johnson if you feel they are both expendable and finished products not requiring any development times.

Czarnik was not brought in to be the 13th forward. I think he has a roster spot, unless he loses it. Treliving and Peters flew out to discuss his position on the team, and I imagine they told him that he is going to get at least a long look with different line-mates.

I don't want Lazar being a 13th forward - he has great speed, solid defensively and he goes nuts on the forecheck. Who knows? Maybe Peters turns his game around enough on the offensive side that would surprise some here.

Hathaway? Sure... but I don't find Hathaway nearly as useful as a player as when he first broke out. He is poor defensively, offers nothing offensively, and he doesn't play like his nasty self any longer for some reason. I actually think that Brouwer is better than Hathaway, and given Hathaway's age, one can only expect minor improvements and refinements to his game. I don't think he catches Brouwer offensively or defensively, so he is a player I don't care about if he gets waived and claimed by another team.

I don't really want any other player sitting as the 13th forward. Brouwer? Sure. He is an EXTREMELY overpaid player for that role, but the Flames are paying him. As long as he doesn't interfere with any signings/extensions, then does it REALLY matter? Heck, if anything, it shows the rest of the team that you better play hard and live up to your contract or you will be benched too. Again, I can't see him pouting. Not being happy does not equal pouting. Treliving has sat down with Brouwer at the end of every season thus far. I am sure they will sit down with Brouwer at the start of the season and explain that his presence in the lineup is up to him, and if he doesn't perform, that there are other guys they will try ahead of him.

I am of the opinion that a young player needs to play. Healthy scratching someone consistently is a way to eat away at confidence, and these young guys need all the confidence they can find. Play them big minutes in Stockton, or play them at least decent minutes in the NHL. Don't healthy scratch them. That's what older vets hanging onto their NHL careers are for, IMO.

Once again, as long as Brouwer's salary isn't hampering any moves/extensions, then there is little reason to buy him out IMO. Buy him out next year, and you save a year's worth of him being on the books.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 10:29 AM   #2204
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something is going on - I went to edit this post above since I noticed I have "put" instead of Pout, but it comes blank when editing and when I "Go Advanced". Grr.. Anyone else having that issue with Firefox Quantum v. 61.0.1 for Ubuntu? Really annoying.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:12 PM   #2205
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't know what to say to you as you are a little disillusioned here. There's not a new ownership group around the corner that is going to want to pay top dollar for the Flames and be stuck playing with one of the oldest arenas in the league.

Shaw? Have you ever been a Shaw customer? You want them running the Flames?
You do realize a new owner would be interested in actually working with the city to build a new arena right?
Old 07-19-2018, 12:53 PM   #2206
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Would the Flames have made the playoffs last year with Johnson as backup compared to Rittich/Gillies?
Old 07-19-2018, 12:54 PM   #2207
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

^nope. Johnson had a really good run early the season before but then showed his weak spots as the season continued that teams exploited.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 12:57 PM   #2208
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
^nope. Johnson had a really good run early the season before but then showed his weak spots as the season continued that teams exploited.
I agree, but would he have been better than rotating rittich and gillies?
Old 07-19-2018, 12:57 PM   #2209
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
You do realize a new owner would be interested in actually working with the city to build a new arena right?
You do realize that the city isn't going to change its terms just because a new owner comes along, right? That in itself will discourage a lot of potential buyers.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:43 PM   #2210
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
He was worse last season then either or Rittich or Gillies.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:03 PM   #2211
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You do realize that the city isn't going to change its terms just because a new owner comes along, right? That in itself will discourage a lot of potential buyers.
You do realize a new owner would actually be willing to at least negotiate right? A well established Canadian market would have potential buyers banging down the doors.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:06 PM   #2212
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You do realize a new owner would actually be willing to at least negotiate right?
You do realize that a new owner would have to deal with the same City Hall? It takes two to negotiate, and when the mayor says, ‘Vote for me because I am going to put an arena exactly where I want it and make somebody else pay for it,’ that is not a good-faith negotiating position. That's what brought things to a total impasse.

Quote:
A well established Canadian market would have potential buyers banging down the doors.
Not if it means paying $450 million over and above the cost of the team, it wouldn't.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:07 PM   #2213
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

[QUOTE=Not if it means paying $450 million over and above the cost of the team, it wouldn't.[/QUOTE]

Assumed without evidence.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:08 PM   #2214
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So you believe a new owner would come in and take the exact same stance as Murray Edwards has? LOL!
Old 07-19-2018, 03:08 PM   #2215
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitdown View Post
‘No public money without public benefit’, said by someone who does not see any public benefit in having an NHL team. You figure out the math from there.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:10 PM   #2216
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So you believe a new owner would come in and take the exact same stance as Murray Edwards has? LOL!
I believe a new owner would come in and the City would continue to take exactly the same stance it always has.

There is zero, nil, zip chance that a $450-million arena built with private money will ever pay its way in a city the size of Calgary. No prospective owner is going to buy in without an arena deal being worked out beforehand.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:15 PM   #2217
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I believe a new owner would come in and the City would continue to take exactly the same stance it always has.

There is zero, nil, zip chance that a $450-million arena built with private money will ever pay its way in a city the size of Calgary. No prospective owner is going to buy in without an arena deal being worked out beforehand.
That is not what you argued. You argued a new owner would not even offer to negotiate at all with the city. I think you are absolutely wrong about a new arena deal having to be in place, there are many billionaire's that would love to get into a Canadian market and those type of people have no issues negotiating deals.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 03:21 PM   #2218
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think a new owner would require that he had a deal or at least an MOU from the city prior top closing a sale deal. Where a new arena is needed, such a deal typically comes before a sale (or an expansion). Why would an owner buy with such uncertainty?

Unless (and this is a big unless) he is willing to pay 100%. Which is no negotiation at all, of course.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 03:27 PM   #2219
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That is not what you argued. You argued a new owner would not even offer to negotiate at all with the city. I think you are absolutely wrong about a new arena deal having to be in place, there are many billionaire's that would love to get into a Canadian market and those type of people have no issues negotiating deals.
Name three. That would keep the team here, with only the possibility of a successful negotiation, that is.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 03:29 PM   #2220
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is this the arena negotiations thread?