Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-12-2017, 10:22 PM   #201
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Pretty sure wittynickname never said anything about ALL white men, transplant99.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 10:27 PM   #202
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
Racism has nothing to do with a person's thoughts or motivations, racism is about people's words and actions.

It's like being stupid - you don't get to decide you are or are not stupid, people watch what you do and say and then let you know if you're stupid.
Thoughts and motivations dictacte what people say and do.
Quote:
Racism works the same way. No one gets to claim that the continued questioning of Obama's place of birth might not be racist because of the motivations of the people doing it. The ACTION is clearly racist, therefore the people doing it are racists. The action of calling for a ban on Muslim immigration is racist, therefore the person calling for this ban is a racist.
I really hate to do this because I honestly can't stand that this kind of comes off as defending trump. The action of question the place of birth isn't racist, the motivation can be, but getting racist people riled up so they will support your quest for profit while they waddle in their racist misery is a little different. The same applies for the Muslim ban, he doesn't need to hate Muslims to do it, he can be doing it because he knows that if enough people hate Muslims and he caters to them it will benefit him. Trump may very well believe all these things, but I honestly think more than anything he is manipulating racist people.
Quote:
No one ever needs to parse a person's motivations, or hedge when trying to determine if someone is or is not racist. Does the action, or do the words specifically target a disadvantaged racial minority or member thereof? Does it increase their disadvantage? Then that's racism and the person saying or doing it is a racist.
I disagree, while it is malicious and unfair, in this case though I just look at the patterns to trump's actions, he's doing the bad things to (poor)white people too, he's just doing it in a different way and not singling them out or blaming them for things, likely because that doesn't benefit him enough. The action needs to be racially motivated, with trumps formula he could have attacked any demographic without a race reference and achieved a similar result. It's a divide and conquer mentality.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:28 PM   #203
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
Pretty sure wittynickname never said anything about ALL white men, transplant99.
Which ones then?

Instead of painting everyone with the "white people are freaked out", maybe there should be some sort of seperation...like i provided?

I lived in the states for 11 years andI have many white friends there that would be nauseous over these events...are they included?

Its identity politic type crap that serves zero purpose.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:31 PM   #204
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Which ones then?.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest the ones at this rally.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 10:35 PM   #205
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
Racism has nothing to do with a person's thoughts or motivations, racism is about people's words and actions.

It's like being stupid - you don't get to decide you are or are not stupid, people watch what you do and say and then let you know if you're stupid.

Racism works the same way. No one gets to claim that the continued questioning of Obama's place of birth might not be racist because of the motivations of the people doing it. The ACTION is clearly racist, therefore the people doing it are racists. The action of calling for a ban on Muslim immigration is racist, therefore the person calling for this ban is a racist.

No one ever needs to parse a person's motivations, or hedge when trying to determine if someone is or is not racist. Does the action, or do the words specifically target a disadvantaged racial minority or member thereof? Does it increase their disadvantage? Then that's racism and the person saying or doing it is a racist.
This post is racist which makes you a racist. Don't bother trying to defend yourself against that claim because I've decided you're racist and it's not up to you whether you're a racist or not. Racist.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:37 PM   #206
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Because these clowns get so much press when this stuff happens it is seemingly a way bigger movement than it really is. In reality I doubt they make up even .001% of the US population and they sure as hell do not represent the rest of the caucasians elsewhere in the country.
Would anyone be interested in starting a CP crowdfund to pay for Transplant99 to take a trip down to the states and survey minorities about how accurate they believe his assessment is? Even if it were "only" .001% of the population, that's a LOT of people.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:39 PM   #207
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Would anyone be interested in starting a CP crowdfund to pay for Transplant99 to take a trip down to the states and survey minorities about how accurate they believe his assessment is? Even if it were "only" .001% of the population, that's a LOT of people.
yeah, get on that.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:39 PM   #208
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Tiki torches? What a bunch of doofuses.
That has to be bad for the brand. This is the second time in the last while that KKK fools have used this brand of patio decor for this purpose.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:42 PM   #209
Buck Murdock
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
This post is racist which makes you a racist. Don't bother trying to defend yourself against that claim because I've decided you're racist and it's not up to you whether you're a racist or not. Racist.
If you call everyone who you don't agree with racist, the word will lose its meaning. A racist is a terrible, despicable person. Why not try asking some questions or explaining your opinion further?
Buck Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:50 PM   #210
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Tweet of the night:
These are the 72 virgins they promise terrorists #Charlottesville
These are the faces of the people that believe they have special DNA lol. Makes me laugh every time
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 10:52 PM   #211
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
I just read the story on CNN. Hatred and intolerance is alive and well in the states.
Hatred and intolerance is alive and well everywhere. Didn't we just have that anti-Islam protest in downtown Calgary not too long ago?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 10:53 PM   #212
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
These are the faces of the people that believe they have special DNA lol. Makes me laugh every time
What do you mean "the people"?
Old 08-12-2017, 10:59 PM   #213
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
What do you mean "the people"?
Those people at the rally holding confederate and nazi flags
Old 08-12-2017, 11:06 PM   #214
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
Didn't think I had to clarify something that mind-numbingly obvious but welp. Semantics.

Let me rephrase: Today's rally was about its attendees being white people who are pissed off that white people as a whole in America are losing the stranglehold of power that white people have traditionally had throughout American history.

Edit: By the way, if he'd just read a tiny bit more of the original post I made, I stated it pretty damn clearly who I was talking about re: white people.

Quote:
for this demonstration today? This is not economic. This is white supremacists pissed off that people different than them are getting the rights they had all along. That's literally all this is about. They want everyone who isn't a white straight god-fearing person (preferably a man) to stay below them the way they'd been for so many years.

Last edited by wittynickname; 08-12-2017 at 11:11 PM.
wittynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wittynickname For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2017, 11:10 PM   #215
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Those people at the rally holding confederate and nazi flags
Oh, those people...hey wait a minute, what do you mean "those people"
Old 08-12-2017, 11:11 PM   #216
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Oh, those people...hey wait a minute, what do you mean "those people"
I'm talking in a quite literal sense. Those "people" at the rally. Interpret it as you'd like
Old 08-12-2017, 11:14 PM   #217
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:

I lived there for 11 years thanks. I know many a minority there as well, many of them good friends.

In a country of over 350 million people..if there is 350,00 idiots? Its an extremely small amount. It would be nice if it was 0, but thats simply not the reality of the world we live in, but i know you are not part of that already so i understand how you dont get that.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:15 PM   #218
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:

Great...then lets not call them "white America", because they aren't. Agreed?
Old 08-12-2017, 11:16 PM   #219
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Besides the fact that you're willfully ignoring all the telltale signs of racism, I will concede that Presidents should be under intense scrutiny.

If that's you're opinion then I have 3 words for you: Trump's Tax Returns.

No president has withheld them going back for a couple of generations now, and yet this one refuses despite numerous requests, probably because of connections to Russia, but I don't know for sure. All I know is that something so simple shouldn't be difficult to produce...probably on the same level of, oh, I don't know........a birth certificate?

If I want to see his tax returns, does that make me a "reverse racist"? I don't know, I'm just so tired of it all. All I want is for people to start feeling like we're all on the same team again. I don't think that's possible under this administration. It looks like they're trying to intentionally divide the country in order to rule the stupid and steal from the poor. That just sucks.
I truly don't believe this administration is capable of intentionally doing anything.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:24 PM   #220
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Murdock View Post
If you call everyone who you don't agree with racist, the word will lose its meaning. A racist is a terrible, despicable person. Why not try asking some questions or explaining your opinion further?
Whoosh. He was mocking Driveway's usual zealous nonsense.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote