Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2024, 02:11 PM   #13641
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Meh, there should be a fine line between "We are concerned you are being scammed so why are you taking out this money" to "you need to fill out 8 billion forms in triplicate for what is already yours).

My boss deals in cash for some things and he says banks have never been harder to get money out of - a lot of them don't even carry it (or say they don't carry it) so it has to be ordered. And here in GTA increasingly more and more banks are becoming "resource centers" who don't deal with cash at all but just answer questions.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 02:16 PM   #13642
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

What we should be focusing on from banks and it isn’t questions about use of funds.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/mar...anks-1.7142427

Hardly surprising and pretty consistent with the last investigation they did in 2017.

I wish marketplace would do this for other financial advisors like Edwards Jones and the like. This kind of thing isn’t limited to banks. The entire investment industry, including online brokerages like Questrade, is rife with misinformation and dishonesty. It’s disgusting really.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 02:40 PM   #13643
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Meh, there should be a fine line between "We are concerned you are being scammed so why are you taking out this money" to "you need to fill out 8 billion forms in triplicate for what is already yours).

My boss deals in cash for some things and he says banks have never been harder to get money out of - a lot of them don't even carry it (or say they don't carry it) so it has to be ordered. And here in GTA increasingly more and more banks are becoming "resource centers" who don't deal with cash at all but just answer questions.
I feel like the fine line between “we are concerned you are being scammed” and “fill out 8 billion forms” is definitely after one form.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 02:45 PM   #13644
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
What we should be focusing on from banks and it isn’t questions about use of funds.

Hardly surprising and pretty consistent with the last investigation they did in 2017.

I wish marketplace would do this for other financial advisors like Edwards Jones and the like. This kind of thing isn’t limited to banks. The entire investment industry, including online brokerages like Questrade, is rife with misinformation and dishonesty. It’s disgusting really.

There was a good one about what it means. be working with an “adviser” versus an “advisor” and how you should check what letter is in their title. Kind of sneaky.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 02:53 PM   #13645
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

A pretty broad brush you are painting with there.
Old 03-15-2024, 03:43 PM   #13646
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
It's entirely to protect people. The concern is that people withdraw the money for a scam and then come after the financial institution to say "you should've protected me (or my parent or whomever)". I'm a little surprised to see that for $8k, but I guess that's the world we live in these days.
And the bank promptly tells them to go Fa themselves if someone says that. So now you can you have a form that the bank would ignore as if there was no form.

I'm a little skeptical of the virtuousness of banks. My dad was pulling money out to buy gift cards to send to the guy getting rid of viruses on his computer.

We go into the bank with him (Fata TD) get them to put a daily withdrawal limit. They agree. Two weeks later same thing. The bloody Walmart lady got wise and got him to snap out of it. Walmart lady was more diligent than TD moron FFS who weren't able to put the limits.

To protect the customers? get out of here. Its to protect the bank and to put up barriers to get money out of the bank. If its a substantial amount, the security is 'talking to a financial advisor about TD mutual funds'.

Last edited by fotze2; 03-15-2024 at 03:53 PM.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 03:57 PM   #13647
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
And the bank promptly tells them to go Fa themselves if someone says that. So now you can you have a form that the bank would ignore as if there was no form.

I'm a little skeptical of the virtuousness of banks. My dad was pulling money out to buy gift cards to send to the guy getting rid of viruses on his computer.

We go into the bank with him (Fata TD) get them to put a daily withdrawal limit. They agree. Two weeks later same thing. The bloody Walmart lady got wise and got him to snap out of it. Walmart lady was more diligent than TD moron FFS who weren't able to put the limits.

To protect the customers? get out of here. Its to protect the bank and to put up barriers to get money out of the bank. If its a substantial amount, the security is 'talking to a financial advisor about TD mutual funds'.
Funny you should mention that: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/mar...anks-1.7142427

Banks care more about selling products than they do for people’s financial well-being.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 03:57 PM   #13648
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Funny you should mention that: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/mar...anks-1.7142427

Banks care more about selling products than they do for people’s financial well-being.
No way. I cant believe it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2024, 04:05 PM   #13649
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

As they should be as a business. Just as long as they don't lie or make up security rationale for it. Surprised they don't have some other trumped up reasons.

Last week we let someone take out $8k and the person bought a gun and shot a child and spent the remaining money destroying the climate so now we have a form. So if it protects just one child from being murdered and protects the earth, surely you agree its worth it.
Old 03-15-2024, 04:13 PM   #13650
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
As they should be as a business. Just as long as they don't lie or make up security rationale for it. Surprised they don't have some other trumped up reasons.

Last week we let someone take out $8k and the person bought a gun and shot a child and spent the remaining money destroying the climate so now we have a form. So if it protects just one child from being murdered and protects the earth, surely you agree its worth it.
I kind of disagree though. They present themselves like they’re helping people out and protecting them. But then their actions are just completely the opposite in a lot of cases. In some cases it’s not even just poor advice, it’s reprehensible.
Old 03-15-2024, 04:23 PM   #13651
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I kind of disagree though. They present themselves like they’re helping people out and protecting them. But then their actions are just completely the opposite in a lot of cases. In some cases it’s not even just poor advice, it’s reprehensible.
I agree. I just have lower expectations of them than you do. ha.
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2024, 04:48 PM   #13652
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:
icon53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Mine is trucks with no mud flaps. If you drive a vehicle with big knobby tires and no flaps, I'm getting around you every time and I'm not signalling, either. Gfy. No respect for me and my windshield so none in return.
Or trucks with improperly secured loads. I've had enough building materials and garbage come flying at my windshield.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2024, 04:59 PM   #13653
BigThief
Backup Goalie

Exp:

"the constant erosion of our freedoms"
BigThief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 06:04 PM   #13654
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll fill out a form, whatever, but wrgmg is in the past I've had them straight up refuse to give me my own money
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 06:07 PM   #13655
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last edited by topfiverecords; 03-15-2024 at 06:11 PM.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 06:15 PM   #13656
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What really grinds my gears is that I NEVER get ID'ed anymore. Not that I look 18 or anything but I look good for my age. I am in my 30's. There was a lot of places that used to ID anybody under 30 etc, don't even get that anymore. LOL.

I know these days would come and the letter to my younger self would always say don't worry about getting ID'd, enjoy it while it lasts!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 06:24 PM   #13657
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
What really grinds my gears is that I NEVER get ID'ed anymore. Not that I look 18 or anything but I look good for my age. I am in my 30's. There was a lot of places that used to ID anybody under 30 etc, don't even get that anymore. LOL.

I know these days would come and the letter to my younger self would always say don't worry about getting ID'd, enjoy it while it lasts!
Enjoy what while it lasts? I don’t know when I stopped getting ID’d, but it’s not like it’s an experience to miss. It’s mostly annoying?
Old 03-15-2024, 07:19 PM   #13658
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There's a few stores here that ID regardless of age. Makes me wonder if they failed too many Liquor Commission stings or something
gallione11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 07:19 PM   #13659
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't get id'd often, but when I do, it's when I left my wallet at home or in the car
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2024, 07:30 PM   #13660
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I don't get id'd often, but when I do, it's when I left my wallet at home or in the car
You don't have digital drivers licences? It's 2024, no one in Sydney carries a wallet or physical cards.