Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2017, 07:47 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default Friedman's 31 thoughts: US Thanksgiving Edition

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/3...esports-party/

Flames related:

Quote:
13. Couple of other post-trade items that shook loose: Vancouver’s most serious conversations with Colorado took place in August. The Canucks looked into Duchene, but it didn’t work for them and they moved on. I do think Calgary took a long look at Kyle Turris, but there was no match with Ottawa.
Quote:
14. The NHL released numbers indicating scoring is up 12.4 per cent. One year ago last week was the game Johnny Gaudreau took those 20-plus slashes against Minnesota. Watch one of his shifts from that night and compare it to one of his shifts now. The slashing crackdown has made a huge impact and players like Gaudreau are taking advantage.
Quote:
23. There was a rumour about a week and a half ago that Flames owner Murray Edwards had met with Houston’s ownership. That was quickly denied, and then we learned the truth: The Tilson Fertitta meeting was with the NHL. Everyone involved in the Calgary situation needed to take a timeout after a bitter, brutal and nasty election, but the biggest question is, what happens if no progress is made in, say, two years? That ownership group is getting older and Edwards now lives in the United Kingdom.

Ron MacLean said the team gets sold locally, and my default is there is no way the Flames are moving to Houston. But, if you are cashing out, what makes you more money? A sale to Houston or to Calgary with the Saddledome?
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2017, 08:07 PM   #2
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

One can only hope that the Flames are sold locally and that Ken King is immediately fired. The relationship between the current owners and the city/fans is completely toxic now, that group needs to move on and Murray can cut his ties completely to this country
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 04:27 AM   #3
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Murray gets bought out by an other owner or the collective owners before this gets too nasty, Riddell himself has more money than Murray (at least he did a few years ago), Libin bleeds Calgary and would never agree to selling the team if it meant moving it.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:42 AM   #4
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Fata Murray Edwards.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:17 AM   #5
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You could not draw a clearer line between the Hotchkiss era and the Edwards era in the composure of this franchise.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:21 AM   #6
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Murray being a stooge to Bettman doesn't help either. Wish he would sell his majority share to one of the other local exemplary owners
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 08:32 AM   #7
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are some other potential owners (with the necessary resources) that may exist within Calgary?
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:40 AM   #8
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
What are some other potential owners (with the necessary resources) that may exist within Calgary?
Maybe conflict of interest, but would love W. Brett Wilson.

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:41 AM   #9
BeltlineFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
The Treliving family could probably buy in.
BeltlineFan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BeltlineFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 08:44 AM   #10
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Good news to see the cap to 80+ next year as an estimate. Sure the Oilers get some some breathing room as well, but it should help get Backlund done if that's the case.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 08:52 AM   #11
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Murray being a stooge to Bettman doesn't help either. Wish he would sell his majority share to one of the other local exemplary owners
Kind of naïve to think that the other owners aren't on board with the CalgaryNEXT thing and it's all Edwards driving the bus. The other owners are all free to offer more contributions of their own money to a new facility. This isn't a Murray Edwards thing, it's a rich businessman thing. The problem is that without rich owners there are no sports leagues or teams and CP doesn't even exist. There's simply not a lot of billionaires that are going to ride in on their white horse and buy the team and build a new building on his/her dime. It just doesn't work that way and to think otherwise is having your head in the clouds.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 09:01 AM   #12
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I do think Calgary took a long look at Kyle Turris, but there was no match with Ottawa.
Between the Flames looking at Turris, and persisting with Bennett at centre long after it was clear it wasn't working, I get the distinct impression management does not want to re-sign Backlund.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:06 AM   #13
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Between the Flames looking at Turris, and persisting with Bennett at centre long after it was clear it wasn't working, I get the distinct impression management does not want to re-sign Backlund.
Treliving already mentioned they are talking, something I'm sure say Colborne and his agent didn't see when he left.

I think they want him back, but probably they're trying to avoid the term given the push towards youth in the league in the last few years. It's back to the late 80s when 32 was getting old again.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:07 AM   #14
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Good news to see the cap to 80+ next year as an estimate. Sure the Oilers get some some breathing room as well, but it should help get Backlund done if that's the case.
to be honest, i was actually looking forward to more Chiarelli Cap moves this offseason.........
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:09 AM   #15
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Don't know about that. I think their interest in Turris probably peaked after it became clear that Bennett is not an NHL quality center. They didn't want to run with Jankowski as the 3rd line center if they're trying to go deep in the playoffs.

Turris helps take pressure off Monahan to be a play driver in all ends of the ice when the going gets tough. It's be very nice to have an option to swap Monahan out should we need more 3 zone play on the top unit.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:15 AM   #16
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The problem is that without rich owners there are no sports leagues or teams and CP doesn't even exist.
This really isnt true. The sport was created before the league. The players are the product, which the owners have little impact on developing. Cities pay for the arenas. The media companies package the product. The NHL and its owners do very, very little. They don't even take a lot of risk since the salary cup limits player salaries and the players would be locked out in the event revenues fell drastically.

The owners literally do almost nothing. All they do is generate economic rent by owning the right to the stanely cup and being entrenched in major markets
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:16 AM   #17
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think they want to sign him, but the asking price is too high. Having Bennett excel at centre would have helped a lot, but now the Flames might be forced to pay a higher price for Backlund because if they lose him they are going into next season with Monahan and a 2nd year Jankowski. Unless of course they make a trade or sign a UFA. Tavares

Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:17 AM   #18
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC in LAX View Post
Maybe conflict of interest, but would love W. Brett Wilson.
Why? Seems to be more of the same. Trumpeting the Flames talking points about relocation and a new arena..
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:19 AM   #19
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Why? Seems to be more of the same. Trumpeting the Flames talking points about relocation and a new arena..
Yeah I don't see Brett Wilson spending $300 million for a new arena. I really don't see any possible Flames owner agreeing to the terms presented by the city.

Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:25 AM   #20
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't be surprised if the reason Wilson was so vocal during the election campaign is that he's looking to buy into the ownership group but wants an arena deal in place before he does so.