Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2017, 10:05 PM   #261
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm not the biggest Brodie lover but I don't hate him by any means and the only way I want him off of this team is if his play actually gets better and he returns two or three assets. Trade from a position of strength, a concept lost on a lot around here.

But, his big gaffe aside tonight I thought he was terrible, again. For a guy that skates so well he sure gets beat a lot in his own zone, races for pucks and especially wide. This should never happen with the physical gifts he has. He blew the goal last night. Played a 2-1 absolutely terribly tonight, more weak plays among the boards. He is simply not playing good hockey right now, defensively, and this is not a new thing. I would drop him with Stone and let them play 3rd pairing minutes for awhile and take the load off of him at least until he gets his coincidence back.

Decent game tonight, will definitely take the point as Columbus totally deserved to win. That's a good team and will be tough to deal with come playoff time. I like the new personnel on the PK, has looked good the past couple of games. Don't understand the Bennett for Veersteg swap. Thought Bennett looked decent to start and that that line had a few shifts of good cycling. Thought after the change they were just a turn over machine. I'd be happy if Versteeg took a seat for awhile.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:11 PM   #262
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What did Bennett do in the game to get demoted tonight?I didn't see anything that line has been playing good since Jagr has been back.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:12 PM   #263
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
What did Bennett do in the game to get demoted tonight?I didn't see anything that line has been playing good since Jagr has been back.
Gate A is going to Dallas.. Gate B is going to Buffalo........
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:22 PM   #264
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just finished watching the game. Too much dump and chase and then not winning the puck battles down low. I understand the BJ's clog up the neutral zone, but the dump and chase strategy was completely useless, would rather have someone try and carry it in and lose the puck than just give away possession every shift. Smith stole a point. And is it just me or does Bennett go offside more than most players? Maybe that's why he was demoted. BJ's deserved to win this one.
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:30 PM   #265
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradio View Post
Just finished watching the game. Too much dump and chase and then not winning the puck battles down low. I understand the BJ's clog up the neutral zone, but the dump and chase strategy was completely useless, would rather have someone try and carry it in and lose the puck than just give away possession every shift. Smith stole a point. And is it just me or does Bennett go offside more than most players? Maybe that's why he was demoted. BJ's deserved to win this one.
Bennett wasn't having the strongest game but it was more of a Versteeg promotion than a Bennett demotion.

Jackets were zero forecheck, all neutral zone trap. They had a defenceman hanging back to retrieve dump ins while all the rest applied pressure on the strong side as soon as the Flames hit their blueline.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:33 PM   #266
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
Gate A is going to Dallas.. Gate B is going to Buffalo........
Gate 31B.......

Old 11-22-2017, 10:35 PM   #267
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished watching the game. I thought the first was pretty even despite the shot count, very slight edge in the second to Columbus as well as in the third. Overall, this was a close game I thought. Smith made some great saves but I didn't feel like Columbus generated a whole lot either.

Unlucky play on the OT goal and I don't blame Brodie at all for it as it rolled on him. I've been pretty vocal about his horrible season defensively so far this year too.

Overall, a pretty boring game except for that tic tac toe play in the first by the top line that they didn't capitalize on.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:35 PM   #268
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Of all the reasons people have listed for Brodie's blunders, anyone considered his personal life? I don't follow it, but doesn't his wife or someone have a pretty ####ty thing going on? It was the same with Stajan, people ragging on him a few years ago, when him and his wife had a stillbirth. Been there, not only is that #### mentally challenging, but if these guys have spouses they probably have far less time to focus on 'hockey' than would be ideal.
Not at all saying that is the case with Brodie, nor should that matter all that much in a production based profession, but these guys are human, with lives outside the game.
/PSA

Not that I think Brodie has been that bad. Not the full time stud he was a few years ago, but still pretty worthy of a top spot.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2017, 10:38 PM   #269
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well Brodie and Bennett should be a package deal to Buffalo.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:39 PM   #270
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Of all the reasons people have listed for Brodie's blunders, anyone considered his personal life? I don't follow it, but doesn't his wife or someone have a pretty ####ty thing going on? It was the same with Stajan, people ragging on him a few years ago, when him and his wife had a stillbirth. Been there, not only is that #### mentally challenging, but if these guys have spouses they probably have far less time to focus on 'hockey' than would be ideal.
Not at all saying that is the case with Brodie, nor should that matter all that much in a production based profession, but these guys are human, with lives outside the game.
/PSA

Not that I think Brodie has been that bad. Not the full time stud he was a few years ago, but still pretty worthy of a top spot.
Yes, she was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis a while back, and it can't be easy on him mentally. But he really needs to compartmentalize if he's letting it affect his play on the ice. If he can't, then maybe he needs some personal time off.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3130450/f...ing-ms-on-ice/
Old 11-22-2017, 10:47 PM   #271
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Yes, she was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis a while back, and it can't be easy on him mentally. But he really needs to compartmentalize if he's letting it affect his play on the ice. If he can't, then maybe he needs some personal time off.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3130450/f...ing-ms-on-ice/
I'm guessing you have never faced such personal distress, if you think this is simply a matter of him compartmentalizing or taking time off. Life is rarely that simple.

Brodie was drafted in the 4th round into the core of this team. He is here to stay.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:55 PM   #272
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
One thing to consider is that Bennett had more responsibility centering line 4 than playing LW with Janko/Jagr. May well have been Gulutzan seeing something he didn't like about Freddie bu not wanting to shorten his bench.

But knowing Gully, it was probably "Hey Versteeg scored a goal a game ago, he is our MVP. Gotta get him more ice!"

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2017, 11:14 PM   #273
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well I'm over it no longer angry. Glad we got a point.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:20 AM   #274
JJFlash
Backup Goalie

Exp:

It is scary how ineffective we are when our top line is not licking. I would take a run at Simmonds by dangling Brodie. This has nothing to do with the give away. Brodie's offence does not make up for his defensive short comings. Until he learns to hit the net he is too easy to read. It might be too early to make this trade but Brodie's value is dropping and this trade might not make sense next year.
JJFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:08 AM   #275
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ good God, Brodie doesn't make much more than Russell.

And I don't know about the licking but really don't want to ask
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:16 AM   #276
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
/PSA

Stajan has been bad period. Prior or after his family unfortunate ciecumstance. He was never worth that contract in the first place, no thanks to Brian Burke.
camm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:58 AM   #277
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
I'm guessing you have never faced such personal distress, if you think this is simply a matter of him compartmentalizing or taking time off. Life is rarely that simple.

Brodie was drafted in the 4th round into the core of this team. He is here to stay.
You can compartmentalize #### if you have a strong will.

Trust me .

Not very one can and thats fine but if if his home life is affecting him time off is best.

Ive been to 16 funerals in 7 years. Some I need time others I didn't as much time.

I have also suggested he may be havinf difficulties at home. Which is total speculation but fits the time line.

The watchimg the slow march to death of a loved one is more traumatic than watching a murder of a loved one I have found.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:02 AM   #278
gunnner
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
3M line hasn't been too great offensively this year. I think putting Tkachuk with some different players could be interesting.
Wondering about Tkachuk with Janko and Jagr and Bennet with Backlund and Frolik. I think Tkachuk is smart enough he works with anybody...and well, we know Backlund can get anyone going, so Bennet could use the confidence of playing there.
gunnner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:39 AM   #279
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boy Smith ripped into the team for the turnovers as 960 is analyzing his post game comments. It sounds like he's getting really tired of all the turnovers and I can't blame him seeing how he's been hung out to dry far too often. I know some of us here have been concerned about this all season and have been accused as being Debbie downers but you will never win a Stanley Cup playing this way. He's probably seen enough of this in Phoenix to know that if you want to be a good team you can't continue to play like this. Maybe getting time that the coach started holding players accountable for having games where they commit multiple turnovers.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 11-23-2017 at 07:41 AM.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 07:46 AM   #280
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just don't think Brodie and Hamonic work well together, that happens. Brodie and Stone look great together when they play though.

Gio/Hamilton
Brodie/Stone
Kulak/Hamonic

I think those pairings would help shore things up defensively.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote