Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-22-2017, 07:48 AM   #1
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon48 Wednesday, November 22nd, 2017

Game Day: Calgary Flames at Columbus Blue Jackets

Smith will be hoping to silence the cannon that blasts whenever the host Blue Jackets bulge twine at Nationwide Arena, a celebration that has been known to scare the bejesus out of visiting scribes. Smith delivered several clutch saves in Monday’s 4-1 triumph over the Washington Capitals. At the other end, Bobrovsky is a big reason the Blue Jackets have rattled off four straight victories. The reigning Vezina Trophy winner has surrendered a grand total of four goals on 130 shots over that superb stretch. Nobody would be surprised if Wednesday’s date turns out to be a goaltending duel.
Who is Flames' early-season MVP? 'A toss-up' between Johnny and Smitty

An ideal time, it seemed, for an informal poll on their team MVP so far.
The result?
A landslide.
Or, if you’re a stickler that each voter is only allowed to mark one ‘X,’ a bunch of spoiled ballots.
Because the consensus was that this honour should be halved — split between towering puck-stopper Mike Smith and shrimpy scoring sensation Johnny Gaudreau.
10 things we're not thankful for in the NHL

Point system. The current format of two points for a win and one point for an overtime or shootout loss has produced parity. But it's time for the NHL to reward teams for regulation wins with three points. Under the current system, it's difficult for teams to make up ground late in the season.
Soft rules on penalty kills. Let’s stop being easy on those committing legal acts. Let’s stop allowing penalty killers to legally ice the puck, and let’s make penalized players serve a full two minutes, even if a goal is scored.
While Houston and Quebec City are ripe for expansion, Seattle seems to make more sense

Chris Peters: If this question was about where I think the NHL will go next, my answer would be Houston. The turnkey arena, the willing owner, the diverse and growing population of the city, all make it attractive. The current situations of the most likely American cities for the league to expand give Houston the advantage.
Devils, Leafs and Blues are the league's most exciting teams to watch

Emily Kaplan: I promise this isn't recency bias because they erupted for eight (!!) goals on Tuesday night, but I have the most fun watching the Blues. And it's been consistent fun all season. St. Louis has all the ingredients you look for when it comes to entertainment.

NHL Players Thriving Under New Coaches in the 2017-18 Season

Calgary Flames: Mike Smith

What was his role last season? In his sixth season with the Arizona/Phoenix Coyotes in 2016-17, Mike Smith missed 12 games with a lower-body injury on his way to a 19-26-9 record in 55 appearances. He had a 2.92 goals-against average and .914 save percentage on a team that gave up the second-most shots in the NHL.

What changed? Former Coyotes assistant general manager Brad Treliving, now the GM of the Calgary Flames, acquired Smith during the offseason. Treliving believed Smith could stabilize the Flames' goaltending situation after a disappointing experience with Brian Elliott.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2017, 01:28 PM   #2
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would add the 7-12-2 Oilers to the most exciting team to watch list as well.

I had the most fun watching them get blown out 8-3 last night.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:45 PM   #3
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe3 View Post
I would add the 7-12-2 Oilers to the most exciting team to watch list as well.

I had the most fun watching them get blown out 8-3 last night.
Yeah I took a lot of pleasure watching that game last night. With the Oilers free fall watching their games ha been fun this year.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:59 PM   #4
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wild Kirpusoff Sighting incoming!

Ryan Leslie‏
EXCLUSIVE: the man, the myth, the legend. I found former @NHLFlames goaltender Miikka Kiprusoff & our 2 part conversation runs Thursday & Friday. Stay tuned...
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2017, 02:32 PM   #5
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Wild Kirpusoff Sighting incoming!

Ryan Leslie‏
EXCLUSIVE: the man, the myth, the legend. I found former @NHLFlames goaltender Miikka Kiprusoff & our 2 part conversation runs Thursday & Friday. Stay tuned...
If he's going to try to stretch a Kipper interview into two parts, I'm guessing there will be a lot of filler text describing scenery and fishing gear.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2017, 06:59 PM   #6
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
The Calgary Flames’ top pairing of Mark Giordano and Dougie Hamilton has the strongest underlying numbers in the league, but even though its goals-for percentage is strong, it’s less than it has earned so far. Unlike most lines and pairings on these lists, it’s not overachieving right now, which is downright scary for teams that face the Flames over the next couple months.
Gio-Hamilton named one of the leagues 5 best D pairings.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/a...sive-pairings/
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post: