Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2017, 10:56 AM   #1
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Tuesday November 21st, 2017

NHL Quarter Mark Report: Flames falling short of lofty expectations

THE BAD: Secondary scoring and special teams.
Up until Game 16, the third and fourth lines had not scored a single goal. Yes, you read that right.
Somehow Calgary’s goaltending and the top line have helped the team overcome terrible starts from the likes of Sam Bennett, Kris Versteeg, Matt Stajan, Troy Brouwer and Curtis Lazar. Mark Jankowski’s call-up from Stockton seems to have injected life into the third line over the past handful of games, and helped Jaromir Jagr and Bennett get off the schneid.
The Flames’ traditionally strong penalty killing unit is now dead last in the NHL.
Best of NHL: Johnny Gaudreau extends point streak to 10 games

WASHINGTON -- Johnny Gaudreau had a goal and an assist to extend his career-best point streak to 10 games and the Calgary Flames beat the Washington Capitals 4-1 on Monday night.
Gaudreau scored and assisted on Sean Monahan's goal, one of two on the power play for Calgary, which has won four of its past five. Mikael Backlund and captain Mark Giordano also scored for the Flames, who got 29 saves from Mike Smith.

Pathetic news day
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 11:00 AM   #2
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Typical Francis doom and gloom.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 11:20 AM   #3
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's one on Jagr from NHL.com:

Jagr not interested in farewell tour with Flames

https://www.nhl.com/news/jaromir-jag...?tid=277548856

Quote:
If it was Jaromir Jagr's final game at Capital One Arena on Monday, neither he nor the Washington Capitals fans seemed to care.

Jagr, who has said that this, his 24th season, will likely be his last in the NHL, isn't interested in a farewell tour. After getting an assist on the Calgary Flames' final goal in their 4-1 victory against the Capitals, his focus was on getting ready for the next game at the Columbus Blue Jackets on Wednesday (7 p.m. ET; SN360, FS-O, NHL.TV).

"First of all, I don't think like that," Jagr said when asked if he had considered that it might be his last time playing in Washington where he played for the Capitals from 2001-04. "I'm trying to concentrate on every shift, every minute with the opportunity I've got."

Jagr said this while completing his postgame ride on a stationary bicycle. At 45, it's normal for him to fit in a workout after a game, but he said he's had to change how he utilizes his time on and off the ice between games this season because of his reduced role.
Quote:
"That's a different role than I've ever been on," Jagr said. "I don't mind it. It's a new challenge. I've got to do stuff differently than I'm used to, but there are big opportunities, I would say. I don't have to play much minutes, so if I'm ready we can score from the third line."
Quote:
Flames coach Glen Gulutzan, who also coached Jagr with the Dallas Stars in 2012-13, likes what he's brought to the Flames, particularly the influence he's had on younger players such as Bennett, 21, Jankowski , 23, and Johnny Gaudreau, 24.

"He's loving the chance to work with and speak with Johnny," Gulutzan said. "He thinks Johnny's a real good player, and I always thought in Dallas and here he's been really good for our young players. He stays out [on the ice]. They see him out there. He loves the game. He's in the gym after. He's always open to talk with them about the game and different things."

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 12:06 PM   #4
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love the Jagr role as the wise old sage. Well done, sir.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 12:11 PM   #5
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

The amount of knowledge and worth ethic Jagr brings to the team is worth his contract alone. The points/goals are just gravy at that point.

You can really see Johnny,Mony,Ferly,Chucky are much better at protecting the puck this season. I really think Jags is the main reason for this. I hope the kids soak up as much as they can spending time with him.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 02:51 PM   #6
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hitchcock wants the games to end about injury reporting. that's cool.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/2...cific-injuries

It's just been part of the culture [in the NHL]," Trotz said. "In the NFL, [disclosure] is part of their culture. Maybe we'll catch up."
Hitchcock believes it's time that they do. "Our feeling is just tell [the public] what the injury is," he said. "Let's stop the dance."
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 03:16 PM   #7
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You'd think with Francis being so close to the team he'd understand their starts are always abysmal, and this year they didn't get behind the 8-ball as with years past.

At 12-8, they're playing at a 98 pt pace. BOLD claim Francis, they'll fall short of their 100 pt goal. That substantiates his gloomy outlook, surely.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:51 PM   #8
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Typical Francis doom and gloom.

I can’t argue with anything he said, it’s more fact than opinion.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote