Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-22-2017, 11:18 AM   #41
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
He has 6 points in 11 games. That would amount to 40 point + pace but he also won't be playing in 82 games.
Yeah he won't be playing 82 games, which is why his points projection is 40 points and not 45 points. Points projections do consider GP.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:38 AM   #42
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Yeah he won't be playing 82 games, which is why his points projection is 40 points and not 45 points. Points projections do consider GP.
I really hope he plays every single game until end of season and his production pace over 11 games is representative. With that small a sample, if he is skunked next game his pace is 36 points, if he gets 3 points his pace is 55 points.
He is going to have a hard time playing every game IMO.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:50 AM   #43
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I really hope he plays every single game until end of season and his production pace over 11 games is representative. With that small a sample, if he is skunked next game his pace is 36 points, if he gets 3 points his pace is 55 points.
He is going to have a hard time playing every game IMO.
Fair enough. I would actually agree that he's likely to miss a few games for minor things. Still, even with more missed games he could IMO easily end up with about 40 points with the way he's playing. After all, that injury and missed training camp clearly slowed down his start, and he's missing out on points with Bennett slumping so hard. He's also getting PP time again.

In any case right now he's looking like a great signing. We really needed another bottom 6 player.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:07 PM   #44
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Gaudreau (A+): ...
Monahan (A): He does what he does. Has a knack for knowing where to be to finish plays. High IQ
Ferland (B+): Started slow, but has been on a tear recently. This is who we were all expecting after his great finish from last season
Tkachuk (B+): The ever consistent presence. Always a treat to watch him control the game from behind the net. Still needs to get faster.
Backlund (B): Been solid. On pace for another 50 point season. Don't think he's at the level he was at to finish last season, but he hasn't been bad in any sense
Frolik (C+): Meh.
Bennett (D): Still snakebitten, but that excuse is wearing thin. Since he's joined Jagr/Janko he has been generating quite a few chances and has hit the bar a couple of times, but that's gotta stop happening for him. He has a trouble finishing and I don't understand why as he has a hard shot and good hands.
Jankowski (B): No ceiling to his upside. I see no weaknesses in his game.
Jagr (A): Legend.
Versteeg (D-): Downright neglects the easy and efficient plays at times to attempt to stickhandle through more guys. You're not Datsyuk. Also him routinely receiving the pass on the PP from Brodie and then proceeding to fire a muffin into the goalies crest 5x a game is getting tiring. Mangiapane will replace this guy soon.
Stajan (F): Great guy, but he's washed up
Brouwer (C): Don't think he's been bad at all on the fourth line. In fact I kind of like him there.
Familton (C+): Solid fourth liner.
Lazar (D-): Meh.

Gio (A): Gotten back to playing dominant as of late
Hamilton (B-): Been ok. What happened to his shot? He used to be a threat with his ability to thread the needle and get shots through from the point. Haven't seen any of that all season. He's been a shinpad magnet.
Brodie (D): I think he's been overrated amongst Flames fans for a while now. Still a solid second pairing defenseman, but I wouldn't hesitate to trade him for a young top 6 forward with potential just because I think Kulak, Kylington and Valimaki all have top 4 potential on the left side.
Hamonic (D): I actually thought he was ok to begin the season but his play just took a cliff dive. Starting to feel like this was an unneccessary trade with Stone and Rasmus in the mix. The good thing though is that D always carry significant value, and Hamonic is young enough and on a good contract that BT could still recoup nice assets for him if he were to trade him in say a year.
Kulak (A+): Exceeded my expectations. Loved the heart he showed fighting that goon Witkowski.
Stone (B): He's solid and a rock in his own zone. Wish he used his cannon more.

Smith (A+): smithfistpump.gif
Lack (N/A): Haven't seen enough of him
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:08 PM   #45
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's crazy to think Monahan is 23 and could possibly score 50 goals this season. I think this season is his coming out party, should put the number 1C arguments to bed.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:59 PM   #46
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I would much rather his numbers be closer to his career norm if it meant he was more reliable in his own end. Honestly he's the worst defenseman I have seen play this season in the NHL as far as defensive breakdowns go. Everyone is happy because the Flames have put a good run together of late but he needs to be a lot better than he has been in the first 1/4 of the season.
my god get off the damn ledge

Has he been bad, yes. But, no where close to the worst Dman in the league, as far as defensive breakdowns. I can tell you that Burns, Shattenkirk, and Letang have alllll been way worse defensively this season than Brodie.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:03 PM   #47
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Fair enough. I would actually agree that he's likely to miss a few games for minor things. Still, even with more missed games he could IMO easily end up with about 40 points with the way he's playing. After all, that injury and missed training camp clearly slowed down his start, and he's missing out on points with Bennett slumping so hard. He's also getting PP time again.

In any case right now he's looking like a great signing. We really needed another bottom 6 player.
You are right he is a good signing at a good value. And he is playing more or less as advertised, although a little slower than I expected.

I wonder though how he will handle a long season and playoff run. Is he going to get better as the season progresses, or hit a wall?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:28 AM   #48
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiggy77 View Post
I can tell you that Burns, Shattenkirk, and Letang have alllll been way worse defensively this season than Brodie.
Further to that—

I believe it was Dissentowner who compared Brodie to Letang in today's GT. Fair enough. I think I could live with Letang on the roster and the Stanley Cup in the trophy case. At any rate, the two are not mutually exclusive.