Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2017, 08:37 AM   #1
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default What to do about Venezuela. Will the US get involved?

I found this video to be pretty interesting. What is going to happen in Venezuela and the dictatorship that is currently going on in that country?

Exclusive: 'The US wants to intervene militarily in Venezuela'
http://www.france24.com/en/20171113-...-crisis-maduro

Description for video:
Quote:
As president of Venezuela's Constituent Assembly, Delcy Rodriguez is the second-most-important figure in the regime of President Nicolas Maduro. In an interview with FRANCE 24's Marc Perelman she discussed the political and economic crisis in her country as Caracas opens crunch talks with creditors on its debt; Rodriguez denies that Venezuela is insolvent. She also claims the US is "inventing" a humanitarian crisis in her country to justify a military intervention.
Could this turn into another cold war standoff between the US and Russia?

http://www.newsweek.com/russia-comes...nctions-707644.

Quote:
This is the third time Russia has come to Maduro’s aid since last year, The New York Times reported. And it comes at a crucial moment: Russia is flexing its diplomatic muscles on our side of the globe just as the United States clenches its fist.
And in this article, a little history about US relations with the Latin American countries and what it could be like if the US does get involved. Is this a job for the US or a job for the UN to help the people of Venezuela to get rid of this dictator?

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/artic...venezuela-look

Words used in the article from the start to describe a US intervention:
Quote:
Risky, Expensive, and Counterproductive.
NSFW!

I copied the whole article here so you don't have to sign up to read the whole thing. I find it interesting to hear the views of the government, from the Venezuela side of things. Is Trump only interested in helping the Venezuelan people or is there something else, mainly monetary reasons for his comments back in August?

Here is a pretty good graphic to help with the state of the country at the moment.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:55 AM   #2
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
I found this video to be pretty interesting. What is going to happen in Venezuela and the dictatorship that is currently going on in that country?
With heavy Russian involvement I doubt you see any western action.
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:59 AM   #3
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

do you think we would ever see anything like during the Cold War or are we already at that point and the US can't do anything without getting involved with Russia? Very interesting to see how this will play out. I guess this is why the US haven't let up with sanctions against Venezuela.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:02 AM   #4
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
do you think we would ever see anything like during the Cold War or are we already at that point and the US can't do anything without getting involved with Russia? Very interesting to see how this will play out. I guess this is why the US haven't let up with sanctions against Venezuela.
Its a new song and dance: How many countries can I influence!
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:49 AM   #5
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

So sad, should be one of the world's richest countries. Lived there in 1979, Dad was management for a large steel company. Huge corruption even back then.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
current affairs , maduro , trump , venezuela