Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-10-2015, 02:09 AM   #1
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Jobs in Calgary

hello.

Sorry if there has been a thread already created, dealing with this subject. Having said that, I was laid off at a Land Surveying company a couple of months ago, after nearly 3 years. I am looking for work in Calgary.

I thought this may be a good thread to either announce that you are looking for work, with a certain set of skills, or for people that either need employees, or know of companies that are hiring.

I just want to get back on my feet, and I am ultimately searching for a job in either land surveying or line locating. However, beggars cannot be choosers. Any job will do (manufacturing, driving, warehouse work, construction, etc). Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Jets4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:36 AM   #2
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Told it's not great in any industry right now but I suspect residential surveying may not be hurting if it gets any worst, you just need to search for a surveying company that does a lot of work for the banks.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:47 AM   #3
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

well it's still much better than most areas of Canada. The low dollar will open up many manufacturing and exporting jobs.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:08 AM   #4
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
well it's still much better than most areas of Canada. The low dollar will open up many manufacturing and exporting jobs.
Yeah..in Ontario(maybe).. Calgary's manufacturing is 90% about oil & gas in some way or another.

You want a new start? think maritimes, Halifax, St. Johns would give you the best chance IMO.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:21 AM   #5
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pm'd
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2015, 09:19 AM   #6
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a certified Project Manager with experience in Oil & Gas manufacturing. Looking for pretty much any foot in the door at this point.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2015, 09:54 AM   #7
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

We are looking for a few VW sales people. Believe it or not, our sales are actually up over last year. A lot of people down grading from luxury stuff and big trucks, right now, and for whatever reason people aren't ashamed to be seen in a VW. We saw the same thing in the last down turn.

I realize this is more for O and G based people, but hey, who knows. Anyway, PM me if you are interested.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:17 AM   #8
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

We're hiring several seasonal bulk truck drivers in Edmonton, Calgary, Grande Prairie, Lethbridge, Fort McMurray, and Lloydminster. (and do every year) If you need a role for 6-7 months while waiting for a rebound this could be a good opportunity.

You need a class 3 license with air brake endorsement, experience hauling liquid and dangerous goods would be an asset.
http://www.superiorpropane.com/careers/
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2015, 10:20 AM   #9
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
We are looking for a few VW sales people. Believe it or not, our sales are actually up over last year. A lot of people down grading from luxury stuff and big trucks, right now, and for whatever reason people aren't ashamed to be seen in a VW. We saw the same thing in the last down turn.
Why would people be ashamed to drive a VW? That's reserved for Kia, Chevy and if they were still around, Geo.

How could some possibly be ashamed to drive a Westfalia? There's no way!!!
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:28 AM   #10
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hey I drive a MK4 diesel VW! Love it to bits, 378K on the dial and growing by the day!

Anyway, love the idea of this thread.
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skudr248 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2015, 11:31 AM   #11
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

LOL, what I am saying, is people have no issues going from a BMW or Lexus to a VW, but will shun going to a Ford or Toyota. I think the brand has just enough of that hipstery yuppie vibe to it.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:59 AM   #12
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
LOL, what I am saying, is people have no issues going from a BMW or Lexus to a VW, but will shun going to a Ford or Toyota. I think the brand has just enough of that hipstery yuppie vibe to it.
Well that and the fact that buying domestic vehicles right now comes with a fantastic flushing sound as they're basically worthless in 2-3 years compared to VWs, Hondas and various other brands in terms of depreciation and re-sale.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:08 PM   #13
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
I went from a BMW 3 series to a Ford Focus a couple of years ago, and I love my car. Made lots of sense at the time, and it does what I need it to do - plus I don't have to baby the paint job as I do drive quite a bit out of town. It's also half the price to fill up! Big plus.

I was very close to getting a Jetta though!
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:20 PM   #14
FacePaint
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There are some resources to assist you in Calgary, including job placement programs. Listing is available at: www.humanservices.alberta.ca/skillupyyc

You will also notice some Career and Employment Workshops that are free to register and attend.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:10 PM   #15
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
Yeah..in Ontario(maybe).. Calgary's manufacturing is 90% about oil & gas in some way or another.

You want a new start? think maritimes, Halifax, St. Johns would give you the best chance IMO.
Unemployment rate is too high. The low dollar is a blessing for Ontario based manufacturing companies. Although if the right job comes up, I would seriously consider moving to Ontario. Never live there before though.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:14 PM   #16
Boxman
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Heard something a few weeks back about the Calgary Fire Department hiring?
Boxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:52 PM   #17
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

My department in a downstream O&G company is hiring for two positions:

1. A co-op student for a 6-month analyst position. Mostly day to day reporting. Intermediate to Advanced MS Excel proficiency would be a must.

2. Pricing analyst. Permanent position. Familiarity with commodity markets/trading required. Strong analytic skills and again, advanced MS Excel knowledge is a must. SQL knowledge would be a big asset.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything in terms of timelines or salaries.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:47 PM   #18
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I realize this is more for O and G based people, but hey, who knows. Anyway, PM me if you are interested.
You're back at VW? Weren't you with another dealership for a bit?
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:47 PM   #19
tenyardrambo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I have ran into a few people who work for different companies on the "technician" side of things. They are always complaining that people will not stick it through. The wage or salary is between 40-50K though.
tenyardrambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:31 PM   #20
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
A lot of people down grading from luxury stuff and big trucks, right now, and for whatever reason people aren't ashamed to be seen in a VW.
Once you go VAG, you never go back. As a former committee member of the Michigan Volkswagen Enthusiast club, I can testify on the fervent cult following of these cars. My old highly modified MKIV got me laid many, many more times than the shiny new luxury brands that I've driven in the last 10 years. I can promise that the minute the GTD gets released, my current car will be on leasebusters the next day with a huge incentive. VWs have their own niche status that other luxury brands cannot match.

Last edited by cracher; 08-10-2015 at 07:34 PM.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calgary , employment , jobs