Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2014, 12:53 PM   #41
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Google tells me that Calgary to chestermere is about 22 Kim's, so you would need to average 100kph to get to anywhere in Calgary in 20 minutes.......
Old 12-28-2014, 01:19 PM   #42
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:
Default Anyone live in Chestermere?might buy a home there...

That's 22km to the centre of Calgary, a big chunk of Calgary is closer to Chestermere than the centre.

edit: plus to get 20km in 22 minutes you need to go a little more than 60km/hr, not 100
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2014, 05:21 PM   #43
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

This sounds like one of those SAT questions.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:09 PM   #44
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
If you have friends and family spread out all over the area Chestermere is one of the best places to be. Family in Langdon, friends in Airdrie and Okotoks, driving to see any of them is no problem now
Not adding much to the thread, but the thought of "visiting" friends in either Airdrie or Okotoks does not sound appealing at all (I suppose they could say the same for visiting you in Chestermere). Ring road does bring the drive to 30 minutes (an hour round trip), but you're still hitting 80-100 km in mileage. Good thing gas is cheap nowadays.

I hear the point you're making, but I that's a pretty negligible perk of living in Chestermere IMO.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:26 PM   #45
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I'm curious if someone started a thread about buying a house in Cranston or Bridlewood if there would be as much negativity as in here. I'm closer to most of the major Calgary infrastructure than a good dozen or more communities within the city limits, but listening to some of the posters here I might as well be out in Strathmore. I don't get it
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:00 PM   #46
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I'm curious if someone started a thread about buying a house in Cranston or Bridlewood if there would be as much negativity as in here. I'm closer to most of the major Calgary infrastructure than a good dozen or more communities within the city limits, but listening to some of the posters here I might as well be out in Strathmore. I don't get it
Cranston and Bridlewood pay City of Calgary property taxes.
LanceUppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:31 PM   #47
scottish_flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonrox View Post
My experience is that if somebody loves outside of Calgary (Okotoks, Airdrie, Chestermere, etc...), or the deep south, NW, or SE... take the time they say it takes to get somewhere and add at least 15 minutes to get the actual time it takes to get there.

Once you live in those areas for any amount of time you convince yourself the commute isn't that bad (I used to be one of those people).

In reality, you'll take the money you save on a house and instead will pay for it on added fuel and wear and tear on your car.
When we moved my dads employer said something along those lines about lethbridge. "And also you are only 2 hours away from calgary" wtf

For what it's worth chestermere is a lovely looking area with some very nice houses
scottish_flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:59 PM   #48
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Just don't go in the lake. Sorry I mean't "lake".
Old 12-29-2014, 01:16 AM   #49
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Just don't go in the lake. Sorry I mean't "lake".
But they just finished building that "beach" area
Old 12-29-2014, 06:36 AM   #50
Righteous1
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Chestermere isn't a bad place, close to stoney, hwy 1 and 2. Lots of new development out there right now, used to be a nice quiet place but is getting a bit busier now. I love close by, if I were to build new that's probably where I would prefer to move.
Righteous1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:31 AM   #51
linecook
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I currently live in Chestermere and are building our second house there. I believe it's a great place to raise a family and it also has a small town feel to it. A lot of people I went to school with in the Properties live out there too. I work in the SE part of Calgary so the commute is really good. We looked at Mahogany and didn't like the feel of the community. It felt cramped and the price for an average lot was ridiculous. For the same price we were able to get a bigger lot and back on to a pond. If you want to live in suburbia, I highly recommend the place.
linecook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:09 AM   #52
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by linecook View Post
I currently live in Chestermere and are building our second house there. I believe it's a great place to raise a family and it also has a small town feel to it. A lot of people I went to school with in the Properties live out there too. I work in the SE part of Calgary so the commute is really good. We looked at Mahogany and didn't like the feel of the community. It felt cramped and the price for an average lot was ridiculous. For the same price we were able to get a bigger lot and back on to a pond. If you want to live in suburbia, I highly recommend the place.

The thing I never got about Chestermere is there is no centre of town.

It just seems to be house after house with some stores thrown in.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:42 AM   #53
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
The thing I never got about Chestermere is there is no centre of town.

It just seems to be house after house with some stores thrown in.
Everything around the bridge is what I would consider the town center. City hall, library, 2 shopping complexes, parks, rec center, boat launches. Sounds like a hub to me
Old 12-30-2014, 11:47 AM   #54
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Everything around the bridge is what I would consider the town center. City hall, library, 2 shopping complexes, parks, rec center, boat launches. Sounds like a hub to me

Maybe you are right, I just never got that feeling, it seemed more like a transportation corridor than a town.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:21 PM   #55
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Maybe you are right, I just never got that feeling, it seemed more like a transportation corridor than a town.
With some of the new development on the lake it's starting to feel more like a center. The great thing is when they have fireworks the view is great as they launch them off from the middle of the smaller side of the lake.

It is a good community for kids but there are not a ton of single people. On my street it is all families with kids but at the same time people have loud parties once in a while and the cops never get called.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:45 PM   #56
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelina View Post
Wow you guys are truly helping me a great deal! Just want to thank you for all your responses!

For me.. I especially need a bigger lot. We have 3 children and a big dog ( bull mastiff) who love to run around and play lots! I can't imagine putting them in a little yard. Right now we own in Edmonton (,although we are selling as we are in fort Mac and renting up here and have been renting our house in Edmonton to tenants for the last year.... Long ANNOYING story) and we have an ok size yard there. However it is inner city. Terwilligar in SW. There's enough room for trampoline and play house... And room to run.. But still not as big as I wish for. Langdon has HUGE yards that make me just loose my mind at the thought of it. But I'm thinking it may be to far away.

Do you all think I can get a nice size lot in Chestermere compared to inner city for my dollar?
Is there a particular reason you are looking at Chestermere instead of one of the other satellite communities (ie. Airdrie, Cochrane, Okotoks)? If you're attracted to Chestermere because of the lake.... think again.. I wouldn't swim in there even if I was wearing a full wet suit. Really its a slew, not a lake.

I myself live in Okotoks and am extremely happy here.... although that may change if the business I work for relocates to Calgary NE from its current location in the SE.

Last edited by Rerun; 12-30-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:02 PM   #57
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lived in Chestermere my whole life, and just ended up buying a new home there.

With light traffic you can make it to downtown in about 25 minutes driving. Pretty good spot and I would say much closer to the center of Calgary then the new communities in the deep south and the north.

With access to 16th, 17th and Glenmore trail if needed you have lots of accessible routes into the city, and Stoney trail makes it easy to bypass the center of the city if needed.

Could still use some work in terms of pubs/restaurants (pretty lacking in that area) but has a No Frills and a Safeway for your grocery needs and more then enough liquor stores.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:02 PM   #58
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
Is there a particular reason you are looking at Chestermere instead of one of the other satellite communities (ie. Airdrie, Cochrane, Okotoks)? If you're attracted to Chestermere because of the lake.... think again.. I wouldn't swim in there even if I was wearing a full wet suit. Really its a slew, not a lake.

I myself live in Okotoks and am extremely happy here.... although that may change if the business I work for relocates to Calgary NE from its current location in the SE.
Okotoks is terrific if you're like me and work in the south. Doesn't have the ease of access Chestermere has, but it's a much nicer area

On Chestemere Lake... Yuck. Sure looks nice on a summers day, but my God is it ever gross. I saw a guy wade into the water and take a dump once. So many lakes around here, there's no reason to go to that one.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:52 AM   #59
linecook
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Okotoks is terrific if you're like me and work in the south. Doesn't have the ease of access Chestermere has, but it's a much nicer area

On Chestemere Lake... Yuck. Sure looks nice on a summers day, but my God is it ever gross. I saw a guy wade into the water and take a dump once. So many lakes around here, there's no reason to go to that one.
Don't think there's a lot of lakes around here you can take a boat on. That's one thing we lack here. Unless you meant man-made lakes.
linecook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:14 PM   #60
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

I didn't know the lake had such a bad reputation. Sounds like Sikome Lake ftom the comments here. Ewwww.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calgary , chestermere , moving , thoughts