Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2017, 12:05 PM   #1
metal_geek
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Pretty raw NYTimes article about a former WHL/NHL enforcer's current struggles.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ncussions.html

Quote:
John Branch, a sports reporter at The New York Times, has been in sporadic contact via text messaging and email with Walter Peat since writing about him and his son Stephen, a former N.H.L. player.

At the time of the article, in June 2016, Stephen Peat was 36 and experiencing debilitating headaches and violent mood swings. Peat was primarily an enforcer, a player designated to drop his gloves and square off in fist-to-fist combat with an opponent. The Peats presumed that Stephen’s problems were rooted in brain trauma sustained on the ice in so many fights.
metal_geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:20 PM   #2
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Pretty raw stuff indeed. I can only imagine what the "behind-the-scenes" things go on with those suffering from traumatic brain issues.

I have never in my life said to myself or anyone "that NHL game would have been better with a fight". Fighting is such a preventable thing, it is alarming it is still allowed in this day and age. And I am a guy who used to love watching hockey fights like anyone else. Nowadays? you can basically see the damage happening with every punch.

Pro athletes can't avoid brain injuries; it's the nature of the job at times (e.g. falling, collisions, etc.) But fighting is so, so, so preventable and absolutely not part of what can make hockey enjoyable.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2017, 12:29 PM   #3
metal_geek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Fighting or no, it really hits home that all these athletes are someones kid. I can’t imagine the pride watching your son get drafted and living out his dream for it to end up like that. The frustration in his messages is heart wrenching.
metal_geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:44 PM   #4
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

personally, I don't mind when two guys are in a puck battle and then a fight comes out of that - but the good old days when a guy was brought in to be muscle - don't miss them.

I wonder how may more years until hockey (NHL/CHL/AHL) bans fighting completely - toss guys like in other sports.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:59 PM   #5
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Organic fighting is a healthy part of the game. And a player is not going to ruin himself with the occasional fight.

Designated goon fights, and designated goons who irreparably hurt themselves on a continual basis, have thankfully been mostly removed from the game. For their own sake and the sake of the game.
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to evman150 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2017, 02:03 PM   #6
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do think about stuff like this every time someone posts that Ferland needs to go tune some guy up that just did something. Ferland has had a bad concussion already.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2017, 02:19 PM   #7
N26
Scoring Winger

Exp:

That was a tough read. I'm not sure 'raw' is a strong enough word.

I will be very, very disappointed if it turns out the NHL and NHLPA have done little or nothing for him.

How do we get McGrattan on this?
N26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N26 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 06:57 PM   #8
vanisleflamesfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Fighting is such a preventable thing, it is alarming it is still allowed in this day and age. And I am a guy who used to love watching hockey fights like anyone else. Nowadays? you can basically see the damage happening with every punch.
You have 20ish posts in the "MMA" thread. So why is fighting in hockey the worst thing ever, but fighting in a cage is acceptable, and something to spend your money and time on?

There is nothing more brutal, violent, and pointless as "MMA" but all of a sudden fighting is hockey is evil?
Old 11-23-2017, 07:18 PM   #9
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanisleflamesfan View Post
You have 20ish posts in the "MMA" thread. So why is fighting in hockey the worst thing ever, but fighting in a cage is acceptable, and something to spend your money and time on?

There is nothing more brutal, violent, and pointless as "MMA" but all of a sudden fighting is hockey is evil?
No fan of MMA personally, but it's a combat sport. People get into the ring with the sole purpose of being in a fight. And even they where gloves (albeit barely). Bare knuckle boxing is illegal pretty much anywhere, why is it only a 5 minute penalty and a pat on the back in a hockey game?

I like to see idiots get a punch to the face as much as anyone, but as hockey fans I think we all have to consider whether our marginal value of entertainment is worth being complicit in what results in traumatic brain damage and sometimes death. There are enough dangers that occur during the actual play (body checks, sticks, pucks, etc..).
Old 11-23-2017, 10:09 PM   #10
simonsays
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think the NHL needs to go to 5 mins and a toss for a fight. Maybe even 5 a toss and a one game suspension the following year. I used to love when the gloves were dropped but hockey isn't a combat sport. It's a contact sport.

I'm always going to miss the old days, but chances are I'm not going to miss the fighting all that much. Just doesn't seem worth it with the knowledge we now have.
simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simonsays For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 10:14 PM   #11
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

The NLL which not too long ago had brawls and incredibly violent fights has basically banned it. Players who fight must be ejected from the game. No exceptions
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:38 PM   #12
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m very concerned about this player and others like him.

I’m a soccer guy and heading the ball freaks me out as a player, and even worse as a coach of young players.

Alan Shearer (tv personality and former England captain) just did a show on the bbc where they can now show that heading the ball impairs the brain every single time under MRI. It’s scary.

I wonder if future generations look at these sports and wonder just what kind of barbarians we are today.

I personally love a good “hockey scrap”, but I question myself about my own personal ethics when I read about Mr Peat.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:51 PM   #13
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Pretty raw stuff indeed. I can only imagine what the "behind-the-scenes" things go on with those suffering from traumatic brain issues.

I have never in my life said to myself or anyone "that NHL game would have been better with a fight". Fighting is such a preventable thing, it is alarming it is still allowed in this day and age. And I am a guy who used to love watching hockey fights like anyone else. Nowadays? you can basically see the damage happening with every punch.

Pro athletes can't avoid brain injuries; it's the nature of the job at times (e.g. falling, collisions, etc.) But fighting is so, so, so preventable and absolutely not part of what can make hockey enjoyable.
not even hoped someone would beat up an Oiler?

seriously though, I'm at the point where a fight should perhaps be as simonsays suggested.
5 and a game.
fights don't service any purpose. not any more.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 02:53 PM   #14
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fights should absolutely be 5 and a game.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote