Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 01:53 PM   #841
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

As fun as that might be, Jagr doesn't need the honor of being on this year's all-star team. He's a starting player on the ALL-TIME team.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 06:03 PM   #842
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
As fun as that might be, Jagr doesn't need the honor of being on this year's all-star team. He's a starting player on the ALL-TIME team.
Although he'll have to play LW on the all-time team, because the ghost of Gordie Howe will beat the crap out of him if he tries to take his spot.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:18 AM   #843
calgaryboy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Awesome interview with 68 in today´s Czech media. Google translator used again

https://translate.google.cz/translat...sez&edit-text=

Greetings from Czech Republic and Go Flames!!!!!
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to calgaryboy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2017, 12:21 AM   #844
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Johnny Gaudreau, Sean Monahan ...
Quote:
Our first line, that's something. I have not seen a better player than Gaudreau.
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2017, 01:55 AM   #845
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Would you believe that someone could dominate it in the 1990s when you started?

Quote:
It is not possible, the rules would not let him do it at all, there would be hooking him up and he would not get anywhere. When I get over it, being big and strong is a disadvantage in today's hockey.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:37 AM   #846
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

"I do not have that. First, I would not stand the minutes, secondly, I would not help. But in the third one, when I adapt it, I'll get you the chance, I'll play the 12, 13 minutes, and if I'm going to have it physically, I believe that the next chance will come. On Monday, I had recordings when two boys went on their own at the gate ... If I had three points for the match, no one would say a word because it could be done. You chances are there. It's just about making use of it."

So basically if Bennett and Familton can capitalize when Jagr sets them up all alone in tight, you have a different conversation.

Jagr has been awesome so far
Old 11-22-2017, 03:35 AM   #847
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wasn't a big fan of signing Jagr, I was sooo wrong, his inspiration, work ethic and even coaching to the younger players is invaluable.

I hope after this year the team can convince him to remain with the organization
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2017, 08:19 AM   #848
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGR
Our first line, that's something. I have not seen a better player than Gaudreau.
I'm sure he's being kind, there was this Mario dude he grew up with... but Gaudreau has got to be one of the best players he's played with in years.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-22-2017 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:53 AM   #849
NiklasSundblad
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I'm sure he's being kind, there was this Mario dude he grew up with... but Gaudreau has got to be one of the best players he's played with in years.
He's old and his memory ain't so good anymore.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:44 PM   #850
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have said it before and I will say it again. The thing with Jagr and him being a Flame that will most benefit the team long term will be influence on players that will be here for the long term.

Has anybody else noticed how Johnny is playing with an extra jolt to his step? When a sports legend like Jagr tells you that you have the ability to be the points or goal scoring leader year after year it must make you pause and pay attention.

Imagine Tom Brady telling a young QB that he has the ability to be #1
Imagine Michael Jordan telling a young basketball player he has the ability to be #1
Imagine any sport where someone near the top of the sport is giving you this level of feedback and how it will make respond and the level of motivation to get better and continue to improve. This is powerful stuff and will hopefully follow our young players for the rest of their Flames careers and will propel them forward!

Jagr might not put up the production that some people expect although that doesn't appear to be a problem so far, he may not have the speed he once did and he probably won't be part of our long term plans but

He will always be part of our collective hearts for all Flames fans forever!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 03:56 PM   #851
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Horay! Jagr said something really nice about our most talented player in the Czech Media. The signing has paid for itself now, because that's obviously why Gaudreau is having a career season.
Maybe next time he can say something nice about his line mates, seeing as they are pointless in 4 again.

Maybe we should move Bennett and Jankowski though, because Jagr is the best possible choice for the position he's in right now. Without question.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:09 PM   #852
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched34 View Post
Horay! Jagr said something really nice about our most talented player in the Czech Media. The signing has paid for itself now, because that's obviously why Gaudreau is having a career season.
Maybe next time he can say something nice about his line mates, seeing as they are pointless in 4 again.

Maybe we should move Bennett and Jankowski though, because Jagr is the best possible choice for the position he's in right now. Without question.
Actually, if it only cost 1 million a year (Jagr's salary) to get Gaudreau in the top 5 in scoring every year and used only that as justification, and completely discounted any of Jagr's production, you would have a top 5 scorer at 7.75mm/yr which is a phenomenal bargain. Still less the Draisatl.

So if this actually is a million dollar comment, I suggest the Flames pull legends out of retirement every year on 1 year contracts with 1mm dollar signing bonuses to pump Johnny's tires, and let them retire mid whenever they feel like it during the season.

Great idea you have! It's should almost be illegal!
Old 11-23-2017, 04:54 PM   #853
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

How many times have you posted in this thread hating on Jagr?
Old 11-23-2017, 05:05 PM   #854
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
How many times have you posted in this thread hating on Jagr?
I checked for you, 3 times 2 weeks ago, once since. Kinda like how often Jagr is putting up points.

It's not that I hate Jagr, the guy is an absolute legend and will go down in history as such. I am just not a fan of the signing. 45 year old Jagr is not 25 year old Jagr, or even 35 year old Jagr, heck he's not even 40 year old Jagr.
I don't like watching my favorite team suffer because a legend is no longer playing legendary hockey, and I don't understand all the hype, when he's done nothing to back it up this season.

Should we try and sign Gretzky out of retirement, I mean, he's better than Jagr right, plus it sure would piss off Oiler fans.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:53 PM   #855
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:

Should we try and sign Gretzky out of retirement, I mean, he's better than Jagr right, plus it sure would piss off Oiler fans.
The tarnish it would put on their legacy? My god, I'd be good with 5 million at least, just to see the the tears of misery up north.
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 06:08 PM   #856
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I checked for you, 3 times 2 weeks ago, once since. Kinda like how often Jagr is putting up points.

It's not that I hate Jagr, the guy is an absolute legend and will go down in history as such. I am just not a fan of the signing. 45 year old Jagr is not 25 year old Jagr, or even 35 year old Jagr, heck he's not even 40 year old Jagr.
I don't like watching my favorite team suffer because a legend is no longer playing legendary hockey, and I don't understand all the hype, when he's done nothing to back it up this season.

Who do you want playing instead of Jagr? Am I missing the star player Jagr is taking playing time away from
Old 11-23-2017, 06:29 PM   #857
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Who do you want playing instead of Jagr? Am I missing the star player Jagr is taking playing time away from
Personally, I'd like to see Hathaway, Mangiapane would be a close second. Hrivik could even be worth a look.
There's also Klimchuk, Shinkaruk and Poirier who could be called up (not the top of the list but available). Why does it need to be a star player replacing a 3rd liner?

Ultimately our bottom 6 has been terrible all season. While Jagr isn't the worst of the bunch, we just simply are not moving Bennett, Jankowski, Lazar or Brouwer because of potential and contracts. So that leaves Versteeg and Jagr, and Versteeg has been the better of these two, and is used on the top powerplay (ridiculous but true). So the odd man out is the 45 year old on a 1 year deal who has already stated he's 99% sure he's done after this.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:54 PM   #858
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Personally, I'd like to see Hathaway, Mangiapane would be a close second. Hrivik could even be worth a look.
There's also Klimchuk, Shinkaruk and Poirier who could be called up (not the top of the list but available). Why does it need to be a star player replacing a 3rd liner?

Ultimately our bottom 6 has been terrible all season. While Jagr isn't the worst of the bunch, we just simply are not moving Bennett, Jankowski, Lazar or Brouwer because of potential and contracts. So that leaves Versteeg and Jagr, and Versteeg has been the better of these two, and is used on the top powerplay (ridiculous but true). So the odd man out is the 45 year old on a 1 year deal who has already stated he's 99% sure he's done after this.
Our forward prospect depth at the AHL level is rather weak. Outside of Mangiapane none are trending towards becoming much more than 4th liners. Hathaway is not going to add much to the team outside of some hard work and hitting, we saw with Glass that doesn't quite translate to a successful line that can contribute offensively.

Mangiapane is the only legit prospect we have on the farm. Poirier, Klimchuk, Shinkaruk and Foo might still develop but Hrivik and Hathaway are not going to change much on the big club.

In time when the CHL kids take the next step things will look less bleak but for now Jagr, Versteeg and the like are not taking any time away from prospects. Eat bread will be better served dominating in the AHL this year and he and Dube can fight for spots on the big club next year.

I do agree in the sense that I feel like we could upgrade on players like Lazar, F. Hamilton, Stajan and even Brouwer in the forward ranks but the answers are not yet on the farm IMO.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:01 PM   #859
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:

TBF they were given every chance to win a roster spot during training camp. It wasn't until none of them did that Tre went out and signed Jagr.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:15 PM   #860
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdr View Post
I'll put a bold prediction out here: Jagr doesn't make it to the end of January.
He'll retire before the season's over.

What he said last night in the interview about being scared of injuries is not a "Buy" on a 45 year old hockey player.

The puppy love will subside. Calgary's offense is very bad. 3rd last in the League
Moves will be made. The whole entire offensive system is a mess and shows zero signs of changing.

PS: I've hated this signing from the beginning. Not a fan of Ferland being on the First Line either. I'm a man who likes to let his top horses run. Bennett Monahan Gaudreau...
Burying Bennett is not good for his confidence. He's never played 3rd line in his life. I don't see why anyone should start him there. But it's all for the team though right?
He'll play out his 2 years here and go light it up where people believe in his skills.
After the abuse you took for the prediction, I just wanted to point out, that it was a beauty call. Pretty well within 48 hours of calling a guys retirement, 2 months in advance.

I do hate to see him go out like this, but it was quite obvious from early on he was done before he even got going. Cool to see him wear the Flames Jersey, but happy to see Hathaway and Mangiapane get there chances to solidify themselves as NHL players. This is what winning teams do, promote from within, not sign 45 year olds.

Best of luck to Jagr and his Kladno club, hope he has a few more years of hockey in him, at a level he can still compete at.
Closed Thread