Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-03-2016, 04:40 PM   #1
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Let's Talk About Kijiji

Sine the start of the year I have been on a mission to get rid of stuff around our house, some stuff is donated to those places like Kidney Foundation who come and pick it up, while other stuff (like a treadmill that we no longer used) was sold on kijiji.

Today, I was purging the rafters of the garage and opted to get rid of some toboggans - so I posted them on kijiji as a give away and within minutes I had about 8 people respond to me asking if they could have them. A few weeks ago, I posted an old crappy dresser as a give away, and within a minute of posting the ad a woman called me from her car wanting to pick it up.

So I am wondering, am I missing something here? are people just looking for free stuff? Do they resell this stuff?

And then don't get me started on the folks that always want to lowball you.

Last edited by Northendzone; 04-03-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:44 PM   #2
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I moved this year, I tried to sell a few things but it was like trying to draw water from a rock. People are just so freaking annoying when it comes to buying used stuff.

Made the decision to give it all away, and it was much less painful. Pretty much everyone who picked something up gave me a reason for why they wanted the item, as if I cared. But no one of course said they were going to sell the item(s).
Old 04-03-2016, 05:20 PM   #3
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

When I moved, I thought I would try to sell things off Kijiji. Some people are great, nice fast transaction. Others will low ball you on an already low item. I think I was selling a TV stand in great condition for 20 bucks just to get rid of it, person wanted to buy it for 5. Agreed on $10, when he tries to re-bargain for $5. Almost shut the door on his face. It's only $5, but don't try to renegotiate something agreed upon.

Probably the last time I used kijiji. Decided to just donate what I could and toss out the rest. Mysteriously, put something on the curb like old washing machines and they'll be gone within the next hour. It's really fascinating.

Only time I used Kijiji to buy something was a phone and hockey tickets. And only then did I make sure the person was reputable. If they're calling me to meet them in forest lawn forget it.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 05:29 PM   #4
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Sold a two year old cell phone this weekend for $150. Totally painless. Sold a play structure last week for over $200. Again, totally painless. Basically, I just ignore the illiterate emails/texts and respond to people that can form a proper sentence. It's an almost perfect way to weed out the morons. I love Kijiji.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 05:31 PM   #5
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

It bugs me when people ask full retail price for their stuff on kijiji. Or people selling replicas as real. But I've made some great deals and met some really great people too. It's weird how much kijiji has affected my current situation.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2016, 06:02 PM   #6
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Kijiji brings out a lot of degenerates. The (now) ex listed a 2 year old snowblower (used 3 times) for 200 (paid 800). She was out, so I made the transaction. I asked the buyer what price they had agreed upon. The buyer said $80 so I took $80. At the end of the day, it's my bad, but I will no longer bother dealing with crapheads like this. I'd much rather donate than waste my time on kijiji.

But, on the flipside, I have a stay-at-home parent friend who flips collectable stratocasters and telecasters. She's up $30k this year. So yeah, Kijiji is full of predators.

Edit: forgot to mention the agreed upon price for the snowblower was $180
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:05 PM   #7
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's why I use ebay for smaller stuff now. Just sold a bunch of PS3 games, cell phones and a GPU. Only had one guy not pay, which is fine, just wait 4 days, cancel, relist.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:06 PM   #8
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just went to Calgary to buy a camping trailer off of kijiji. It all worked out perfectly. We use it to buy and sell all the time. Haven't really had a lot of issues, although we're pretty selective with who we sell too, like Sliver mentioned.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:14 PM   #9
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I either set a price I think is fair and ignore anyone trying to haggle me down, or I set a price of free or close enough to it that it'll be gone fast. Anything in between seems to cause more hassle.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2016, 07:22 PM   #10
Brewmaster
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've been furnishing a new place so buying and selling a fair amount on Kijiji. It can be tough to get any interest selling something for $50 or less, but as soon as it's up for free there are people fighting to have it. When it comes to buying, there are some great deals out there if you know what you're looking for.
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:23 PM   #11
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kijiji is great, I sell stuff on there all the time. I don't mind haggling with people though, I guess I could see if that bothers you.

Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2016, 11:16 PM   #12
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

When I'm buying, I simply wont even bother to ask where you're located if you're too stupid or lazy to put in your postal code. "Calgary" isn't good enough. I live in the SW. If you're in Evanston, I'm not coming for your bag of kids clothes. I can go to Walmart. I will not reply to your ad or waste any of my time finding out where you are, even if you're my next door neighbour. I refuse to give you my money, because you are a kijiji struggler, and you've already wasted 10 seconds of my life by getting me to click your ad, and then not telling me where you are. Also, when I'm buying, if you can't post a pic, you're ######ed, and I don't want your stuff because it might infect me. No click for you.

When I'm selling, I take multiple pics, I answer all the questions people are going to ask, and I write the ad in clear English with punctuation. At the bottom of the ad, because I'm a-ok with all three, I put:

phone/text/email

And just in case you don't know about the view map feature as a buyer:

Located in deep SW

Not only am I being courteous and increasing my chances of selling the item quickly, I am also reducing my own time being wasted by people calling to ask questions and then ruling out my item as the one they want. Also, if people call me and ask something that I stated clearly in the ad, I can also size you up beforehand, and I pretty much know that you're lazy, and that I'm not haggling my price, because you don't know how to think. It's amazing how much you can learn about a person by posting or replying to a kijiji ad.

But most importantly, when posting something that's worth any more than a couple hundred, you have to post at the bottom of your ad that lowballers will be ignored. It's amazing how effective that is. It reduces those idiot texts of "I'll give you $400 for your $4000 car CASH MONEY TODAY" by about 90%. And when you get one of those robot replies, you must not answer them.

It's really not hard to win at kijiji. Checking the seller's other ads often alerts you to them selling stolen stuff, or that they're curbing cars, or that they're really weird. There are lots of ways to figure out who you're dealing with. I treat a kijiji transaction with a fair amount of consideration, but honestly, it took longer to write this post than it takes for me to write a kijiji ad for a high chair, or a vehicle.

Last but not least, if it's an expensive item, and you're a bit wary about handing over cash, make the meeting place a police station parking lot. They don't care. I think they actually endorse the idea. And people that don't want to meet you at the cop shop probably aren't people you want do a transaction with.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2016, 11:36 PM   #13
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing is worse than an ad that just says "Call xxx-xxx-xxxx for details"

#### you. Type the details. I'm not wasting my time calling you if you can't even put a proper ad.

If I'm selling a car (the only hing I use kijiji for these days) my kijiji ads are LONG. Because I don't want my time wasted as a seller with dumbasses emailing me just saying "Is there anything wrong with the car?" If you read the ####ing ad you'd know the car is great other than the cracked windshield, idiot. Who trusts the guy selling it anyway, get it inspected and ask the mechanic if there's anything wrong with it, not me

Last edited by btimbit; 04-03-2016 at 11:39 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2016, 11:54 PM   #14
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Nothing is worse than an ad that just says "Call xxx-xxx-xxxx for details"

#### you. Type the details. I'm not wasting my time calling you if you can't even put a proper ad.

If I'm selling a car (the only hing I use kijiji for these days) my kijiji ads are LONG. Because I don't want my time wasted as a seller with dumbasses emailing me just saying "Is there anything wrong with the car?" If you read the ####ing ad you'd know the car is great other than the cracked windshield, idiot. Who trusts the guy selling it anyway, get it inspected and ask the mechanic if there's anything wrong with it, not me
I bought a car off kijiji a few years back that I forgot. The guy had his ad up for a long time but no one would bite. I took a look at the car and there were some dings and scratches that would easily knock down the value. Asked if I could get it inspected and said no problem, left me the keys and said I could take the test drive however long I wanted to. Great guy, but I easily could have taken his car. All in all I got a great car, still driving it and I'm at 260 000 kms!
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:01 AM   #15
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't really get how autotrader is still kicking around.

I like kijiji, the app is pretty terrific compared to the online site. I've bought and sold a lot on kijiji over the years.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:13 AM   #16
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Kijiji is awesome. I must have sold over $1000 dollars worth of items on the site. mostly used phones/electronics.
SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SHOGUN For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2016, 04:11 AM   #17
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

My favorite Kijiji 'struggler' (thanks 4x4 for a derogatory term I use now daily in every facet of life) is the "I'll take your free item, but can you drop it off for me, oh can you store it for 2 months? Also when you drop it off there is 8 flights of stairs, so make sure you have a moving crew with you to drop it off....

If it's free, you pick it up, you carry it, and you pick it up within the next 2 hours. If I request you wear a leather zipper mask when you arrive you'll do that too. I'm calling the shots.

Being a Kijiji low baller however can be quite lucrative. I have flipped a lot of motorcycles and pedal bikes on Kijiji and made a lot of money doing it. I find if you aren't a total dick with a lowball offer, nobody gets offended. "Hey man, great bike, I really like it, and it would be perfect. Here's the thing, my budget is only $2500. I know your asking $5000 and that's totally fair, but if you need to unload it quick, I can be there to get it within the hour. I have the cash in hand. If not, no worries and good luck with your sale." Just be ready to act immediately, and make sure you have the cash in your pocket. Because once he takes your lowball offer, any lowball offer after that higher, they'll start to consider as well, even if you have a commitment.

1 time out of 20 you'll get your offer or damn close to it. My last conquest was picking up a 2006 SV650s with 5200 Kms for the GF for $1500. The guy was leaving the province the next day, and just wanted it gone.

I have had days at work when we're slow, I'll just click random motorcycle and mountain bike ads for poops and giggles on bikes I'm not even remotely interested in making silly offers, and to date I've had 8 accepted. I've averaged out to doubling my money on every one within 30 days.

Last thing. Always run a carproof lien check at minimum if you are buying a bike or car on a lowball offer. Some people do not understand that they are supposed to clear the liens first. If they don't, and you don't caveat the bill of sale "seller guarantees car/bike is free of all liens and encumbrances" you're hooped, and the bank owns it if they quit paying the loan. I've run into it on a few transactions, and the sellers were clueless to this fact. They think it magically disappears once you take it.

Last edited by pylon; 04-04-2016 at 04:20 AM.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2016, 05:15 AM   #18
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

People take out loans on bikes?
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2016, 06:35 AM   #19
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I deal with kijiji a lot, both buying and selling, so get to meet a lot of interesting people. A few pet peeves:

- the classic fake cheque scam where the buyer is "out of town for a while" but is interested so wants to send a (fake) cheque for more than asking price and then you wire him/her the difference. It must work though because it's quite common
- the phantom buyer(s) where you agree on a price for an item, go to pick it up and the seller suddenly mentions there are others interested offering more so the price has gone up
- people who want nothing more than to chat about life in general. I just want to buy/sell the item and I dont care about your Uncle Jim and how he yells at his family, or about how your cats dont sleep well during a rain storm
- people who insist on paying via personal cheque. It's not 1983 anymore
- people who sell gift cards for 100% of their face value. If I wanted to pay $100 for an Apple gift card worth $100, I'd walk into the store and get one
- people who use Calgary Kijiji but aren't anywhere near Calgary and have no plans to be in Calgary in the future. No, I'm not gonna go down to High River to get a book. Or even Airdrie ("but it's only 15 minutes to downtown")

Last edited by Calgary14; 04-04-2016 at 06:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:48 AM   #20
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smokers. You didn't tell me the Shaw gateway and remotes would look like and smell they spent 10 hard years in the Black Lounge. Good price though!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: