Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-31-2020, 10:03 PM   #1841
Khel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

GoFundMe for Cory and his family here as well.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/corys-fig...pd+share-sheet
Khel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 01:11 AM   #1842
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can y'all make sure you have insurance, please? We're all adults here. Part of being an adult is making sure your loved ones are taken care of if something happens to you. I hate seeing go fund me campaigns set up after someone is in an accident or dies. I don't hate the outpouring of support, but I hate that the person didn't take the time to set her/his family up for success should they meet an untimely demise.

This month a guy who used to work at the bike shop I race for died at the age of 37. Obviously, his family is devastated. His wife and kids shouldn't have to rely on the kindness of strangers to cover her bills. Insurance is so cheap at 37. For those of us who have purchased carbon bikes, electronic shifters, computers to track GPS, new bib shorts, boxes of nutrition gels, etc., why can't you spend a few bucks to buy insurance? Some people are covered through their work. You can still add on top of that. Compare how little it costs to insure yourself versus how much it will cost everyone else to fund a go fund me campaign. It makes no sense for you to force others to pay for your expenses.

I am politely asking all of you to look at your insurance policies and see if they adequately meet the needs of you and your family. There are likely people on CP who can provide you with this information or help you if you don't know where to start. I would love to never have to see another go fund me for these purposes again. Your family and friends are already going through enough with you being severely injured or dead. Don't make them beg for money too. Don't make them be forced to sell your bikes for what you told them you paid for the bikes. We all know you spent way more than that.

Think of it as a really small RRSP contribution or a lottery ticket for your family. I just hit a new age bracket for my life insurance. It jumped substantially over previous years and now costs me $670 per year. That's less than $1.85 per day to be covered for a substantial amount. I could cut the amount in half and it still cover every thing it needs to, but if something should happen to me, I don't want the recipients of my will thinking I cheaped out for $335 bucks that would give them a windfall. In the efforts of keeping it light, maybe don't make the payout amount so large that your spouse cuts the brake lines one your bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 06:57 AM   #1843
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Can y'all make sure you have insurance, please? We're all adults here. Part of being an adult is making sure your loved ones are taken care of if something happens to you. I hate seeing go fund me campaigns set up after someone is in an accident or dies. I don't hate the outpouring of support, but I hate that the person didn't take the time to set her/his family up for success should they meet an untimely demise.

This month a guy who used to work at the bike shop I race for died at the age of 37. Obviously, his family is devastated. His wife and kids shouldn't have to rely on the kindness of strangers to cover her bills. Insurance is so cheap at 37. For those of us who have purchased carbon bikes, electronic shifters, computers to track GPS, new bib shorts, boxes of nutrition gels, etc., why can't you spend a few bucks to buy insurance? Some people are covered through their work. You can still add on top of that. Compare how little it costs to insure yourself versus how much it will cost everyone else to fund a go fund me campaign. It makes no sense for you to force others to pay for your expenses.

I am politely asking all of you to look at your insurance policies and see if they adequately meet the needs of you and your family. There are likely people on CP who can provide you with this information or help you if you don't know where to start. I would love to never have to see another go fund me for these purposes again. Your family and friends are already going through enough with you being severely injured or dead. Don't make them beg for money too. Don't make them be forced to sell your bikes for what you told them you paid for the bikes. We all know you spent way more than that.

Think of it as a really small RRSP contribution or a lottery ticket for your family. I just hit a new age bracket for my life insurance. It jumped substantially over previous years and now costs me $670 per year. That's less than $1.85 per day to be covered for a substantial amount. I could cut the amount in half and it still cover every thing it needs to, but if something should happen to me, I don't want the recipients of my will thinking I cheaped out for $335 bucks that would give them a windfall. In the efforts of keeping it light, maybe don't make the payout amount so large that your spouse cuts the brake lines one your bike.
Curious how much coverage you are getting for $670/yr? I pay easily double that
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:49 AM   #1844
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post

I'd prefer not to discuss the specifics on my payouts, but will say it's a substantial amount.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-01-2020, 10:06 AM   #1845
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Are you talking about life insurance, or general cycling insurance? After my accident last year I was trying to find cycling insurance- something that would give me coverage similar to car insurance. However I wasn't able to find such a thing.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:49 AM   #1846
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

1st ride of the year and chose to do a loop around the reservoir only to find out the Glenmore causeway path is closed from June 1-5. Added an extra 5km to a ride in which I was probably already a little ambitious about.
The saddle sores are real.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:56 AM   #1847
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Are you talking about life insurance, or general cycling insurance? After my accident last year I was trying to find cycling insurance- something that would give me coverage similar to car insurance. However I wasn't able to find such a thing.

I am requesting people evaluate their needs and get proper insurance coverage. At a minimum you should have some type of life insurance. I choose to have term life. I have a UCI race license through Cycling BC which provides me other insurance coverage for events and training rides. There is ride accident and general liability included with this. I did a quick look on the Alberta Bicycle Association and there are similar insurance products there if you are a member. It might even be worth getting a race license if it covers you for the insurance. I'm not an insurance professional, so please speak to your trusted advisor.

From the insurance program on Cycling BC:

Quote:
The Sports Injury policy is designed to cover members for injuries sustained in two ways:
➲ During their participation in Cycling BC sanctioned events, either as a rider, coach, spectator or
volunteer.
➲ While cycling, anywhere in the world.
➲ Coverage is provided for injuries including paralysis, disfigurement, and loss of limbs, internal
organs, eyesight, speech, or hearing. The policy may also cover a portion of medical bills incurred
by insureds that is in excess of each individual’s Provincial Health Insurance Plan. These costs may
include: private hospital accommodation, ambulance transport cost, chiropractic, ancillary medical
procedures, or physiotherapy.

When I was an employee of companies I had AD&D, STD, LTD, term life insurance products as part of my benefit package. I would supplement these products with other coverage personally. Now that I am a business owner, I purchase greater coverage to ensure I'm adequately covered.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 07:30 AM   #1848
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i read on facebook last night that cory passed away.
i buy a lot of stuff at the bike shop south, i think i bought a pair of shoes from him last year - so i can say that i really did not know him.

his wife (i beleive) posted on the Bike Shop's facebook feed that cory was hit by a car that was making a left hand turn as cory was riding home from work last week. sounded like his injuries were bad and he had several operations. based on what she wrote he was a fairly accomplished cyclist from university

my thoughts go out to those that knew him. on wednesday i beleive that the bike shop is donating profits of sales to cory's family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khel View Post
GoFundMe for Cory and his family here as well.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/corys-fig...pd+share-sheet

Last edited by Northendzone; 06-02-2020 at 07:38 AM.
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:36 AM   #1849
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

ktrain i had almost perfect conditions this morning and i came up two seconds short.

i guess i need to lube my drivetrain, or have a faster wind at my back or hit that last light with a little more speed as i tried to time it this morning; however i was at a very slight roll as the light turned green.

as an aside, i noticed that the 3 or 4 year (had to be $20 million plus) reconstruction/re-inforcement of the bow river pathway along douglasdale/mtn park and lake mackenzie is now complete and that section can be comletely ridden again.

they are working on the pathway by quarry park/riverbend, so access into carburn park may be distrupted

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
The leaderboard seems to be only for segments. Top 10 only for free users.

So the CP leaderboard works for everyone but not the individual segments.

Northendzone, if you you want to see if you beat me on the McKenzie Towne Blvd segment you'll have to get a subscription.

Random pedestrians and the Strava Gods are rooting for me.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:22 AM   #1850
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
as an aside, i noticed that the 3 or 4 year (had to be $20 million plus) reconstruction/re-inforcement of the bow river pathway along douglasdale/mtn park and lake mackenzie is now complete and that section can be comletely ridden again.
Did they also fix the hill after the bridge by the ball diamonds?

The pathway from Quarry Park to Carburn is being repaved, should be open early July.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:06 AM   #1851
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ yes, i was most happy to see that section open as for what ever reason i really found riding on the road seemed like a very long slog......
Old 06-02-2020, 10:33 AM   #1852
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
$600/yr here with a 1 million payment. Age 42
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:57 AM   #1853
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's World Bicycle Day today. Get out there and be the best MAMIL you can be.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2020, 09:59 AM   #1854
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It's World Bicycle Day today. Get out there and be the best MAMIL you can be.

Too bad today is a rest day for me. Maybe I'll do a recovery spin at lunch.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:25 AM   #1855
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningYears View Post
Too bad today is a rest day for me. Maybe I'll do a recovery spin at lunch.

Remember, that it's not a recovery ride unless you tell everyone that it's a recovery ride.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2020, 10:27 AM   #1856
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Remember, that it's not a recovery ride unless you tell everyone that it's a recovery ride.

Roger that, so basically Crossfit/Vegan rules?
Old 06-03-2020, 02:30 PM   #1857
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I am requesting people evaluate their needs and get proper insurance coverage. At a minimum you should have some type of life insurance. I choose to have term life. I have a UCI race license through Cycling BC which provides me other insurance coverage for events and training rides. There is ride accident and general liability included with this. I did a quick look on the Alberta Bicycle Association and there are similar insurance products there if you are a member. It might even be worth getting a race license if it covers you for the insurance. I'm not an insurance professional, so please speak to your trusted advisor.

From the insurance program on Cycling BC:

When I was an employee of companies I had AD&D, STD, LTD, term life insurance products as part of my benefit package. I would supplement these products with other coverage personally. Now that I am a business owner, I purchase greater coverage to ensure I'm adequately covered.

This subject has definitely been on my mind, and bothersome. Having recently suddenly also lost all of the above benefits... now what? I'm a frequent cyclist too. If I get work... how long will that take? Do I get interim insurance and how long until it takes effect and is valid? Not to mention the costs start adding up between AD&D, STD, term, dental, and general health. Not ready for early retirement (not enough $$$ banked) so there is definitely some risk there. Then ya gotta figure how much coverage is really necessary?
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:27 PM   #1858
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I went and did a testing ride for Garmin today in Cochane. The guy before me came in and said not to go down hwy 1A. He was buzzed twice by different trucks. Last week he was out and a diesel truck pulled beside him and then did their best 'rolling coal'. Bunch of #######s.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:34 PM   #1859
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah, I dunno what's going on. Earlier in the self isolation days, riding on the roads was absolutely a blast because there were so few cars. The last couple of weeks though, I've had many drivers pull some very illegal/dangerous moves making me a bit more comfortable on the pathways. Some pretty angry drivers out there right now.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:40 AM   #1860
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i have tomorrow off of work and i am planning on riding highwood pass tomorrow.

my question for those that have done this is - what is the right clothing combination. Can i get away with shorts, or should i go with some type of leggings. I'd imagine i will want a jacket/vest for the ride down.

How long should it take?