Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Attached vs. detached infills

I know there is no straight forward answer to this but I am wondering what the price difference would be for an attached vs. detached infill? Obviously assuming same size, year built, quality, etc.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Throwing you my 2.5 year old knowledge for probably areas you weren't looking in, I was seeing about 100-150K.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

^^ I would say that's a fair ball park although as you admit in the OP, there really is not any set equation.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That number seems extrememly high to me but what do I know. Obviously there is no formula or anything. I was thinking 30-50K kind of thing
Old 03-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would never, ever, ever buy a high-end duplex.
The Following User Says Thank You to Knalus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #6
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
I would never, ever, ever buy a high-end duplex.
Reason?
Old 03-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I was scared off it by the fact a neighbor controls part of my building envelope. What if there is a leak on the roof on the other side the neighbor doesn't detect/fix and toxic mold ends up spreading to my unit?

What happens when it's new roof/siding time and the other neighbor doesn't want to spring? Mis-matched exterior?

Living in a condo for a while I also really now enjoy being able to make whatever noise I want without worrying about it. Also, not smelling anyone's cooking smell is great, as well is having windows on all 4 walls of your house.

I ended up getting neither. Detached are too narrow unless you're rich. I got a renovated 100 year old house on a 50' lot for way less than either option.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #8
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That is all very true really depends who your neighbors are. We lucked out with our duplex and ours have become very close friends so I don't see those issues arising. I have always wanted to build an infill or duplex some where inner city ish and duplex just gives you that 4 extra feet per unit which is nice and cheaper building costs.
The Following User Says Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #9
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Reason?
If I'm going to spend that much money on a piece of property, I will look for one that is actually mine, and not one that I have to share with a neighbor.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #10
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

To each their own. Personally I think I would take the extra couple feet of living space inside the house then wasted space between the two houses when compared to infills.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #11
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Are you a new build fotze? I am wondering the differences would be from doing a custom build like an infill compared to cookie cutter build. I am cookie cutter and you can hear certain things in certain places from the neighbors. When we were looking at the homes we tested the show home walls extensively by yelling and knocking and no sounds ever got through. I am wondering how much is caused by construction standards. Kermitology is building an infill so I'm sure he can help me out with that aspect once he gets moved in.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #12
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kind of related but...

Does anyone have experience with an attached garage? They seem to be pretty popular in Sunnyside/Hillhurst with both attached and detached infills. I don't have a garage and my neighbours are in desperate need of a new garage so I was going to propose the idea. I reckon on a small lot the extra 4ft. is a pretty big selling feature!
Old 03-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #13
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
What happens when it's new roof/siding time and the other neighbor doesn't want to spring? Mis-matched exterior?
This is what I've always wondered. I've seen a lot of fugly duplexes out there (mostly older ones but you could say the same for some of the newer ones), and unless you can negotiate something with your neighbor, aren't you basically stuck (i.e. unless you're willing to do a mis-match exterior)?

Quote:

I ended up getting neither. Detached are too narrow unless you're rich. I got a renovated 100 year old house on a 50' lot for way less than either option.
Nice. What community?
Old 03-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #14
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
To each their own. Personally I think I would take the extra couple feet of living space inside the house then wasted space between the two houses when compared to infills.
you don't get any more space in a duplex over a detached house. yes, you get extra width, but the 45% max lot coverage will shorten the length of the duplex more than a detached. assuming all things are the same, you get the exact same square footage on either a detached or duplex.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #15
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post

Nice. What community?
Bridgeland. I couldn't afford a NW/SW postal code like all the other fancy people in this thread

There are definite cons to an older house (no front hall closet, have to go down to the scary basement to do laundry, is way smaller than a new house) but the bigger yard and oversize garage were big selling points.

I do like the extra width of attached, and the extra light you get with a detached. There are tradeoffs will all 3, I was open to any of them and just chose the house/lot I overall liked best.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #16
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Bridgeland. I couldn't afford a NW/SW postal code like all the other fancy people in this thread

There are definite cons to an older house (no front hall closet, have to go down to the scary basement to do laundry, is way smaller than a new house) but the bigger yard and oversize garage were big selling points.

I do like the extra width of attached, and the extra light you get with a detached. There are tradeoffs will all 3, I was open to any of them and just chose the house/lot I overall liked best.
I did the same as you, except Renfrew, not Bridgeland.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #17
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
I did the same as you, except Renfrew, not Bridgeland.
I'm jealous you don't have to walk up the hill for 10 cent wings
Old 03-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #18
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I'm jealous you don't have to walk up the hill for 10 cent wings
And I'm jealous you don't have to walk up the hill to get home from downtown.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #19
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I am jealous of all of you, you have garages...

Old 03-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #20
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'd never do attached again (my comparison is semi-detached townhouse). I'd like windows on both side and the noise between the wall. I don't complain when I can hear my attached buddy because frankly I don't really care. His wife however likes to get him to call whenever they can hear me. But the biggest thing is I don't want to say hello to someone beside me. I like the distance between a SFH driveway and front door.

Yeah I see you all the way over there at your house, that's right, I can just give you a friendly wave without having to chat for 10 minutes. . . Yup, waving and walking in the house, see ya another day. Oh, there you are again as I'm rushing out? Guess what, I'm just going to do a friendly neighbor wave and walk straight out of here without having a conversation about it. . . . LOVE IT!