Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2017, 04:06 PM   #1
Scoopdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Things to do in Niagara Falls and Toronto

Hey CP,

I'm heading to the Toronto Area from May 19th - 27th with my wife and two kids ages 8 and 11. For the first 3 nights we'll be in Kingston and be busy with one of my kids sporting events but after that we will be going to Niagara Falls for 2 nights then spending 2 nights in Toronto.

So, what are some must see or things to do in those two cities. Here is what we have planned so far:

Niagara:
- Maid of the mist
That's it so far and am looking for more suggestions.

Toronto:
- Hockey Hall of Fame
- CN Tower
- Aquarium at the base of the CN Tower

That's it for Toronto as well and would like to get suggestions as well for Toronto.
Scoopdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:29 PM   #2
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Niagara area also has a large number of vineyards if you're into wine tours.

I also really enjoyed some of the cheesy attractions near the falls like the "Ripley's Believe It Or Not" exhibit and wax museum.

There are too many things to list in Toronto. Of note for me include, checking out the Real Sports Bar by the ACC and go walk around the ACC during a game (Leafs or Raptors). They have this giant screen outside of the ACC you can watch the game for free and a lot of people mill around and do so. St. Laurence Market is a very cool farmers market - they have a great seafood joint in there if you're into that. Take a ferry out to the Toronto Islands just off water of Toronto in Lake Superior.

Toronto has the best quality and value for dining outside of Vancouver - I would argue that it's better because they have a much larger Middle Eastern and Caribbean population and offer much more choice from those ethnicities than anywhere else in Canada. When I lived there about four years ago, there was still a place that sold $1.75 Vietnamese subs!
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CubicleGeek For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 04:35 PM   #3
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Outside of watching the water go over the Falls, everything else in Niagara seems like such a cheap tourist trap.

The ROM in Toronto is pretty good. There should be stuff there that your kids like.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:38 PM   #4
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Theres a guy near the Falls who sells old wine barrels, you can get one of those and then get in it and have unsuspecting passers-by kick you into the river.

The rest is just one helluva ride.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 04:42 PM   #5
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Niagara Falls is an absolute dump. I was just there for work and made the unfortunate decisions to stay the weekend there. See the falls (which are amazing), do the Maid of the Mist, and get out of Dodge. No need to spend more than a couple of hours there. Like someone else said, if you are into wine, make sure to spend some time in the Niagara On the Lake Region (which isn't where the falls are). Given your children's age though, not sure if that's something that would interest you.

Toronto had tons. If you plan on hitting all the attractions, get the City Pass thing (it will save you cash). I would add to your list:

- The Zoo (one of the best in the world, avoid weekends if possible and you'll have a lot less crowds pesturing you)
- Casa Loma
- Jays Game
- The Royal Ontario Museum (If you can get away from the kids for a night, the ROM is open a nights and one night a week they serve alcohol)
- Hit a TFC game if they are town
- Toronto Botanical Garden or the Edwards Gardens
- St. Lawrence Market
- Take a Trip over to Toronto Island
- Canada's Wonderland (probably a must if you have kids)
- Steam Whistle Brewery Tour

Toronto really is a world class city. Really gets a bum wrap. I love visiting Toronto. Really has it all.

If possible, I think you should reconsider spending two days in Niagara Falls. Give yourself more time to experience Toronto.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 04-24-2017 at 04:56 PM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 05:30 PM   #6
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would add the Art Gallery of Ontario to the list. The kids might enjoy some of the modern art exhibits (5th floor I think). Very cool stuff, not just paintings on the wall.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 05:44 PM   #7
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I second Canada's Wonderland if your kids like rides. You'll never want to go to Callaway park again.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 05:51 PM   #8
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toronto Island is great if you want to get away from the chaos of Toronto, which is usually what I want to do after about 10 minutes. Nice beach to sit on, walking trails etc. Plus some stuff for the kids.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 06:03 PM   #9
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

The old Maple Leafs Garden is pretty cool. The outside is really neat and there's a Loblaws inside now. Theres a dot on the floor in one of the aisles where centre ice used to be.

And if the timing is right I would really recommend checking out a Jay's game, even if your not too into baseball. Rogers centre is an amazing building and the atmosphere/experience is pretty cool.

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesfan1297 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 06:08 PM   #10
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Considering the kids are going, definitely Canada's Wonderland. Toronto Island is good as well for a nice day out (take the ferry at Harbourfront). As for the HHOF, if you're only going to be here for 2 days, don't bother. To me, it's very very ho-hum. There are some nice parks and stuff on the western part of the city. Contrary to a few others, I actually like Niagara Falls now. Sure it's very touristy, but it's a nice place to walk along and admire. Some trashy places but if you stick to the core you'll be fine.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 06:22 PM   #11
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do they still have that permanent integrated street carnival thing? I was there when I was very young but I recall a Burger King built on top of a fun house.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:38 PM   #12
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

If you can get rid of the kids, The Sundowner in NF is the best strip joint west of Montreal

Stay at one of the hotels that has access to Fallsview for the water park. You can get 4 attractions for the price of one all the time for Niagara Falls on wagjag or groupon. NF is way over priced and the US side is an absolute dump.

I agree with everyone else, way more to do in Toronto and all have been great suggestions.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:43 PM   #13
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Jays are on the road for most of your trip but are in town against the Rangers on the 26th and 27th. A Jays game is alot of fun for the family, even if you're not a baseball fan.

I'd also recommend the African Lion Safari. It's west of Toronto, about midway between Toronto and Kitchener.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 07:12 PM   #14
Scoopdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

All great suggestions folks! Much appreciated. We're actually going to redo our nights now based on the suggestions here and stay 3 in Toronto and just do one in Niagara.

I'm planning on doing the blue jays game on the friday the 26th, however I'm staying in Hamilton that night with an early 6:30 am flight out the following morning, gonna be tired on that one for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scoopdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:30 PM   #15
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
US side is an absolute dump.
I wouldn't necessarily agree - the state park that is right along the Falls is wonderful - quiet oasis and you get a new perspective on the falls themselves as they go right by you on the way down. The elevator down to the lower level is way nicer than the Canadian side.

You can walk to the state park from the Rainbow bridge, no need to drive over.

Other than the state park, the US side is a dump, and had dozens of EPA superfund sites. Unique place.
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billybob123 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 08:28 PM   #16
WinnipegFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If you like Kung Pao then Khao San Road on Adelaide is a must! The aquarium is pretty cool for kids and Toronto Island is awesome!
WinnipegFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WinnipegFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 09:50 PM   #17
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was just in Niagara / Toronto last weekend. I'll echo that Niagara was a hell hole on a long weekend.

- I did an average of 30 on the QEW from Hamilton.
- The Sheraton Fallsview is severely under elevatored and I had to wait 10 minutes at times for a lift up.
- The Sheraton / CrownPlaza and some other hotel share a parkade behind them and from the Sheraton it's a long distance to schlep bags. The elevators make this worse.
- The Fallsview Indoor Waterpark is decent I'm told by a cabbie. Much better than the Great Wolf resort waterpark.

You've got the 1 day thing about right for Niagara.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 11:07 PM   #18
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll be there then too but staying for six weeks. I spend a couple months a year there. Maybe your kids would like this...

http://www.medievaltimes.com/plan-yo...-on/index.html

If so, can I go with? My friends are too snooty and won't ever go. I just want to eat a chicken with my hands but I get stuck at all these stupid tasting menu, foam on an essence of kale chip nightmare restaurants. Do it for me. Go get that chicken.

This place is fun...

https://www.evergreen.ca/get-involve...n-brick-works/

I don't love Toronto. They have snakes and birds that swoop down and hit you in the head. And the fish you can see at the edge of the lake are terrifying. Give me a pissed off grizzly and a can of pepper spray any day.

This is an amazing gallery...

http://mcmichael.com/

The ROM is great but McMichael is a national treasure. Cute little town too.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 03:18 AM   #19
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kids never forget going to a ML baseball game even if they don't show interest in the sport. Checking the schedule, the only Jays game that would possibly work for you is Friday-26th against the Rangers. seriously it's a must, in 10 years they'll still talk about the game and the huge hotdogs!
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 06:20 AM   #20
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

All great suggestions above. Here are some other notes -->

Downtown Activities
1. Jays game. I would think kids would find the baseball game very cool, though may get bored near the end (which is normal). But it'd be a great memory. There aren't many bad seats, even sitting up in the 500s is quite the view (if you are ok with heights). If you want the cheap seats (ie 500s), and the dome is open, I'd sit around the 516s if you want sun and/or 533s if you want the city view.
- It looks like the Jays are playing the Rangers (a rival) at home on the 26th. On the day of, go here to know if the dome will be open that night (http://www.isthedomeopen.com/)

2. CN tower is also recommended
3. The aquarium is world class. You have to go there as well. I would recommend trying to avoid the crowds when you go, so go off hours. Either right when they open (9am), or at night. You could go after dinner and walk through. It closes at 11 (except on May 24th, closes early)

4. Hockey Hall of Fame. Every member of CP owes it to themselves to go. You can prioritise the Cup room. Average visit is about 2.5 hours, so you can shave a bit of that when in a rush.
5. The St. Lawrence Market is only about 2 blocks east of the HHOF. Good for a quick walk through and a bite.
6. Toronto Island ferry would also be a good trip. Great view of Toronto
(you could probably do 4,5,6 easy in a day. Get to HHOF at opening, go to St. Lawrence for lunch, head to the island for the afternoon. If it is raining, do CN tower or aquarium - however, I would recommend you do aquarium at opening or much later)

Non-downtown
7. Casa Loma. Not far from downtown. An old castle in the city that has been restored. Cool to walk around in. Not exciting, but kinda neat.
8. ROM. Good for a rainy day. It is a museum, but fairly interactive and huge.
9. AGO. If your kids like art, it is also world class.

10. Canada's wonderland will take a full day, due to location and stuff to do. I'd recommend you budget for the Fast-Pass. Will save you hours of waiting in line. Your kids will love it. There are some SERIOUS coasters there.
9. The Toronto Zoo. Also out of town, so budget a solid 3/4 day.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames89 For This Useful Post: