Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-01-2017, 08:14 AM   #381
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Why would ancient Semitic people living in the Levant have any reason to write about such things? How would they have even known about dinosaurs, geological ages, outer space, and the biochemical processes of reproduction and species propagation? One cannot "ignore" nor "deny" things that she or he lacks the capacity to know.

Your incredulity at their ignorance is just as off-putting and absurd as the bilblicist's insistence on the scientific veracity of the Old Testament. Raising questions that scripture never intended to address is the other side of a flat, literalistic, hermeneutical coin.
I think that the standard theist that atheists run into are not of your persuasion TC. Clearly you and the group you run with have a far better understanding of the people and times during the supposed reign of JC. I admire that you own it and educate yourself, regardless of our positions.
I wish there was some way you could provide your understanding to the masses <unintended pun> so that all followers at least had an understanding of that era. That historicity is sorely lacking in the Christian faith, and I might add the Muslim faith as well, and that is why you are asked the direct questions by the many atheists on this board.
In daily life we do not get anything but the same old drivel when it comes to the dinosaurs/ark/walking on water/miracles/creating bread and wine/healing/born to a virgin/flying horses/splitting of the moon/crying palm trees/burning bush fables from the run of the mill faithful.

Last edited by Cheese; 04-01-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:44 AM   #382
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why would ancient Semitic people living in the Levant have any reason to write about such things? How would they have even known about dinosaurs, geological ages, outer space, and the biochemical processes of reproduction and species propagation? One cannot "ignore" nor "deny" things that she or he lacks the capacity to know.

Your incredulity at their ignorance is just as off-putting and absurd as the bilblicist's insistence on the scientific veracity of the Old Testament. Raising questions that scripture never intended to address is the other side of a flat, literalistic, hermeneutical coin.
Exactly my point I've been saying all along it's just nonesense written by ignorant people who's only explanation for the science and the world around them is magic, or the supernatural.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:36 PM   #383
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
Exactly my point I've been saying all along it's just nonesense written by ignorant people who's only explanation for the science and the world around them is magic, or the supernatural.
Except that the Bible is NOT comprised only of "nonsense written by ignorant people." The Bible is literature—and a fair amount of it is very good literature. How unfortunate that you are unable to see through your scientism to understand that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:39 PM   #384
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
The fact that people from thousands of years ago weren't able to produce an accurate or scientifically sound explanation of the natural world is hardly a point worth making.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:53 PM   #385
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Except that the Bible is NOT comprised only of "nonsense written by ignorant people." The Bible is literature—and a fair amount of it is very good literature. How unfortunate that you are unable to see through your scientism to understand that.
You learn something new everyday. I had to look up the definition "scientism" cause I had literally never heard it before.

Quote:
thought or expression regarded as characteristic of scientists.

excessive belief in the power of scientific knowledge and techniques.
Seem like kind of a weird word. Who has excessive belief in scientific knowledge? Doesn't that go against how scientists study and practice?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 02:04 PM   #386
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is it "fictional" or "non-fictional" literature?
Old 04-01-2017, 02:19 PM   #387
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Is it "fictional" or "non-fictional" literature?
The Bible is a collection of all sorts of different types of literature written by different people over the course of long periods of time. There are several texts that are "non-fictional" by an appropriate understanding of how historiography functioned in the ancient world. For example, there were hundreds of years in the Iron Age in which Israel was ruled by the Davidic dynasty; there is no reason to question the historical veracity of the basic political and religious systems that were in place at the time.

Of course, there are also fictions. I think it is relatively safe to assume that everything written in Genesis is etymological fiction: stories featuring possibly actual people that had been passed by word of mouth for generations, but which contain massive embellishments intended to convey moralistic lessons or explanations about any manner of things.

The Bible is not a simple book; it is best understood for its complexities.

Quote:
Old 04-01-2017, 02:25 PM   #388
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I take the Bible as mostly historical fiction melded with fables.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2017, 02:46 PM   #389
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
You learn something new everyday. I had to look up the definition "scientism" cause I had literally never heard it before.

Seem like kind of a weird word. Who has excessive belief in scientific knowledge? Doesn't that go against how scientists study and practice?
I would say that having unrealistic expectations about what science is and what it can and cannot do is definitely an issue. Posts like Flames Gimp's betrays a belief that ONLY things that are known scientifically are relevant or important at the expensive of other forms of knowledge. Another poster, T@T, used to make a habit of disparaging anything to do with the arts and humanities as somehow tedious or entirely novel in the face of science.

My point is that excessive expectations and dependencies on any forms of knowledge or disciplines is not socially productive nor generally healthy.

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 04-01-2017 at 02:58 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2017, 04:26 PM   #390
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I would say that having unrealistic expectations about what science is and what it can and cannot do is definitely an issue. Posts like Flames Gimp's betrays a belief that ONLY things that are known scientifically are relevant or important at the expensive of other forms of knowledge. Another poster, T@T, used to make a habit of disparaging anything to do with the arts and humanities as somehow tedious or entirely novel in the face of science.

My point is that excessive expectations and dependencies on any forms of knowledge or disciplines is not socially productive nor generally healthy.
Aren't you conflating an academic appreciation for the bible with a religious appreciation of it?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:26 PM   #391
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:

The problem I have with this perspective is that science is a continuous process of refining, expanding and upgrading the knowledge base of humanity. Whereas religious knowledge is pretty much static and limited to discussions (arguments) about interpretations of texts that are hundreds of years old (at best). Why people think that muddled Bronze Age texts compare to knowledge gained through the scientific method is confusing to me.

Is science the only path to knowledge? Of course not...is it the best path to useful knowledge about HOW things happen and what that means for our species?...yup.

Religious knowledge...is, at best, akin to philosophy and at worst fiction used to justify behaviour that may or not be compassionate.

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fozzie_DeBear For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2017, 06:49 PM   #392
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
The fact that people from thousands of years ago weren't able to produce an accurate or scientifically sound explanation of the natural world is hardly a point worth making.
but people today believe it...if that isn't accurate than why is the part about the existence of a god accurate? believer's pick and choose which part of the story is truth
Old 04-01-2017, 06:51 PM   #393
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've never commented on quality of the literature, only the subject. So it's a well written fictional tale!
Old 04-01-2017, 07:05 PM   #394
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

so they were all ignorant to science and how the world worked so they had their own theories to explain the unknown, one of which a supernatural creator. Why does it make sense to believe a single "fact" from these ancient people thousands of years later now that science has answered most of the mysteries of the world ?
Old 04-01-2017, 09:03 PM   #395
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
so they were all ignorant to science and how the world worked so they had their own theories to explain the unknown, one of which a supernatural creator. Why does it make sense to believe a single "fact" from these ancient people thousands of years later now that science has answered most of the mysteries of the world ?
You do understand that there are literal truths and metaphorical truths, right? Every human culture in history has developed ways to tap into the unconscious, and given the remarkable degree of commonality in myths and motifs across cultures, there's every reason to believe they represent something innate in humanity.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 04-01-2017 at 09:06 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:10 PM   #396
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like alternate facts.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:23 PM   #397
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Just read this thread title out loud to my mom. Her response "Maybe"......
Old 04-02-2017, 08:22 AM   #398
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Religion is based on faith, sometimes even in the face of conflicting evidence.
Science and reason is based on evidence, despite preconceived notions or beliefs.

One of these things should be used to inform public policy and how we educated our children (even in a private school) and the other should not.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Red Slinger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 08:50 AM   #399
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
Just read this thread title out loud to my mom. Her response "Maybe"......
and what was your response to her LOL?
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:54 AM   #400
calgaryjohn87
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It is a dangerous life style. Look at the health stats.
calgaryjohn87 is offline   Reply With Quote