Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-28-2017, 08:11 PM   #401
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Sounds like you're on the right track, a bad power supply can do wacky things sometimes, and it does sound like you're down to the motherboard almost.
Thanks photon. The thing that I don't understand and that's confusing me is that my original power supply was replaced with the same model and I'm having the exact same rebooting issue. I can't be so unlucky as to have two power supplies exhibit the exact same behaviour can I? That's why I'm leaning towards the motherboard.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:38 PM   #402
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Someone somewhere is that unlucky, might as well be you

It's unlikely, but not completely outside the realm of possibility.

Do you have anything else plugged into that circuit that would reboot too? Maybe it's the power itself? I always run my PCs on a UPS to make sure dirty or low power doesn't do any damage (get lots of power fluctuations in Chestermere).
Old 06-29-2017, 10:31 AM   #403
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Someone somewhere is that unlucky, might as well be you

It's unlikely, but not completely outside the realm of possibility.

Do you have anything else plugged into that circuit that would reboot too? Maybe it's the power itself? I always run my PCs on a UPS to make sure dirty or low power doesn't do any damage (get lots of power fluctuations in Chestermere).
Nothing really. I have the monitor, printer, speakers and laptop all plugged into this Belkin outlet thing. I changed it to a surge protector after the second PS started exhibiting the issue. It didn't seem to help but maybe that's because the PS is already broken.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:14 AM   #404
photon

Exp:

A surge protector wouldn't protect against a brown out or a gap in power either, but if the power went low enough or off for long enough for the computer to power off it'd probably reboot your monitor and printer too, so it's probably not a case of the source power causing the problem.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:02 PM   #405
jaginla
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Thanks photon. The thing that I don't understand and that's confusing me is that my original power supply was replaced with the same model and I'm having the exact same rebooting issue. I can't be so unlucky as to have two power supplies exhibit the exact same behaviour can I? That's why I'm leaning towards the motherboard.
Also, when testing the new PSU use the original cables provided and not your custom ones.

Sounds like a PSU issue, but the next step would be to swap in/out parts until you don't see the issue anymore.
jaginla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaginla For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 12:05 PM   #406
photon

Exp:

And after you swap out all the parts and the problem still persists, give up computers and move to the mountains, build a cabin, and befriend a bear.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 12:54 PM   #407
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaginla View Post
Also, when testing the new PSU use the original cables provided and not your custom ones.

Sounds like a PSU issue, but the next step would be to swap in/out parts until you don't see the issue anymore.
I was thinking about that. The stock cables don't look as pretty but at this time I'm just looking for something that works.

Can cables all of a sudden stop being effective and stop working? The computer was fine for nine months. And even when I was out of town the computer was off - I just didn't flick that button on the power supply.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:03 PM   #408
jaginla
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I was thinking about that. The stock cables don't look as pretty but at this time I'm just looking for something that works.

Can cables all of a sudden stop being effective and stop working? The computer was fine for nine months. And even when I was out of town the computer was off - I just didn't flick that button on the power supply.
They can, but anytime you're trouble shooting it's always best to use OEM cables.
The Following User Says Thank You to jaginla For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 01:26 PM   #409
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaginla View Post
They can, but anytime you're trouble shooting it's always best to use OEM cables.
Roger that. I get the new power supply today, I'll give it a shot, and provide an update as I know everyone is eagerly anticipating what happens next. If it doesn't work I'll get a new motherboard (http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX58574).
Old 06-30-2017, 11:58 AM   #410
photon

Exp:

Seems like the new X299 motherboards might be undercooked (or overcooked I guess?). VRMs and even power cables getting quite hot due to the amount of power.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:38 PM   #411
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So far the new power supply is working great. No reboots since I installed it yesterday and I am running it with the OEM cables.

When I was looking in the BIOS I noticed that this new power supply was staying at 5.000V for the 5V reading but my old power supply was a little higher (I think 5.092v). When I called EVGA to RMA my original power supply they said the 5V test they ran on it failed. Could this cause the reboots? I don't know much about electricity so I'm not sure if something like that could make a difference.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:28 PM   #412
photon

Exp:

As far as I can tell the spec for voltage regulation for the 5V is ±5%, so the motherboard should be able to handle anywhere from 4.75V to 5.25V, so having that extra 0.092v shouldn't impact anything.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...ign-guide.html

Rebooting would seem to me to be a result of under voltage rather than over voltage, like if the power supply was faulty and pulling too much current caused the voltage to drop too low. But hard to say for sure.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:13 PM   #413
jaginla
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
So far the new power supply is working great. No reboots since I installed it yesterday and I am running it with the OEM cables.

When I was looking in the BIOS I noticed that this new power supply was staying at 5.000V for the 5V reading but my old power supply was a little higher (I think 5.092v). When I called EVGA to RMA my original power supply they said the 5V test they ran on it failed. Could this cause the reboots? I don't know much about electricity so I'm not sure if something like that could make a difference.
Thats good news, if you ever put on your cable mod cables again and it happens then you know.

I think 5.092 wouldn't be an issue, but obviously if you're in your bios reading it, it's fine. I'm assuming the PSU could've had some major dips in voltage and causes the reboots if EVGA is saying it fails the 5v test. You'd need an external meter to see this.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:41 AM   #414
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lost 2 of the thumb screws that keep the side panel of my PC case on. I'm guessing they are not all the same size. It's a Fractal Design R4. Couldn't find the specs of the screws on their website.
Burninator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:16 AM   #415
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Lost 2 of the thumb screws that keep the side panel of my PC case on. I'm guessing they are not all the same size. It's a Fractal Design R4. Couldn't find the specs of the screws on their website.
Case screws should all be the same size. Memx will have repalcements.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX1532
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 09:01 PM   #416
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay this is software but Kaspersky has a new free version.

Quote:
Kaspersky Free provides real-time protection against malicious downloads, rogue websites, and apps. It monitors email and Web activity to block suspected phishing sites before you visit them. It quarantines suspicious apps and files, and updates itself automatically. "In short, Kaspersky Free does the indispensable basics that no one on the planet should do without," CEO Eugene Kaspersky wrote.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 09:32 PM   #417
photon

Exp:

Lol you want to give all your secrets to RUSSIA!!

Just kidding, been looking forward to this, thanks!
Old 07-28-2017, 12:19 AM   #418
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone used Razer cortex?

I'm wondering if it might boost my gaming PC until I can save enough money to replace it.

I'm only playing WOW and can barely zone in. Framerate collapses in LFR to 2 fps.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:01 AM   #419
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Has anyone used Razer cortex?

I'm wondering if it might boost my gaming PC until I can save enough money to replace it.

I'm only playing WOW and can barely zone in. Framerate collapses in LFR to 2 fps.
Have you tried running with no addons first? I've found that out of date ones can really screw things up if they fall too far behind and start conflicting with each other. If the base game is still 2 fps then it's probably a good excuse for new hardware. :P
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:36 AM   #420
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven't tried Cortex yet (maybe this weekend I'll test it out), but WoW is (still) CPU intensive. Stripping out background applications might help a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is online now   Reply With Quote