Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #81
Brewmaster
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Does anyone else think that yoga studios are overly expensive? Maybe it's the instruction that brings the cost, but I don't understand why a monthly pass to a yoga studio would be significantly more than a gym membership. It's just an empty room with no equipment to purchase or maintain.
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #82
boosterjuice
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
Does anyone else think that yoga studios are overly expensive? Maybe it's the instruction that brings the cost, but I don't understand why a monthly pass to a yoga studio would be significantly more than a gym membership. It's just an empty room with no equipment to purchase or maintain.
I believe that the Breath yoga studio charged $120/month. That's over double of most gym memberships. No equipment to purchase maintain, just extra heater/humidity system and instructors.
boosterjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #83
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Why is it a dumb post? Yoga as a physical exercise is an amazing addition to any exercise program. But most people have a hard time committing to to studio classes because of everything 'else' that is associated with it.

EDIT: I should mention I don't really care if you do yoga to relax your mind. I just know from experience that when you suggest yoga to someone who wants to work on better posture and flexibility they instantly put up a wall because when they go to the yoga studio, they are met with instructors that aren't so much concerned about teaching better flexibility, but instead try to convince them that they should meditate.
Because Yoga as a practice at its root is a combination of body, mind, and breath. All three together create the practice, if you take away just one aspect away then that’s not yoga. If you want to just take the physical aspects of yoga and do them that’s fine, but it’s like saying I’m going to go play hockey without staking. When you remove a critical aspect of it you aren’t really performing the whole action.

Really what I think it comes down to is insecurity and comfort levels of people. They are fine with doing the poses but when the teacher asks the class to perform a few om’s it’s foreign to them and they get uncomfortable, and instead of embracing the unknown and new they dismiss it as stupid or unimportant because they are insecure. I know because I used to be the guy who thought that way. Finally I just let go of my hang-ups surrounding everything ‘else’ and now my shavasana (the meditative mindful pose) is probably the most difficult and rewarding part of my practice.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J pold For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #84
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
Because Yoga as a practice at its root is a combination of body, mind, and breath. All three together create the practice, if you take away just one aspect away then that’s not yoga. If you want to just take the physical aspects of yoga and do them that’s fine, but it’s like saying I’m going to go play hockey without staking. When you remove a critical aspect of it you aren’t really performing the whole action.

Really what I think it comes down to is insecurity and comfort levels of people. They are fine with doing the poses but when the teacher asks the class to perform a few om’s it’s foreign to them and they get uncomfortable, and instead of embracing the unknown and new they dismiss it as stupid or unimportant because they are insecure. I know because I used to be the guy who thought that way. Finally I just let go of my hang-ups surrounding everything ‘else’ and now my shavasana (the meditative mindful pose) is probably the most difficult and rewarding part of my practice.
Same here. I treated that stuff as stupid because it was foreign to me and I was too insecure to actually explore it. It's now one of the biggest reasons I go to yoga. I can do the poses and transitions as part of a typical gym workout quite easily, and I often do, but when I need/want the full benefits of yoga I go to a class.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #85
Rudee
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Brother and his Wife did DDP yoga for 2 months. Both grew bored of it and haven't done it since. Said it was fun at first, but quickly got boring.
Rudee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #86
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudee View Post
Brother and his Wife did DDP yoga for 2 months. Both grew bored of it and haven't done it since. Said it was fun at first, but quickly got boring.
That is something you are going to get with any type of workout, whether it be yoga, P90x, just plain old riding an exercise bike or lifting weights. Not everybody is going to be able to keep with it.

That is my main concern with doing DDPYoga. If I hit a busy week (or two) will I be able to get back with the program? I have more confidence that this won't be the case with DDPYoga because I have never been quite so excited about a workout program before, and my fear of stopping and not picking it up again is working as motivation for me to keep going. I hope.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:06 PM   #87
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I ordered it two weeks ago when it was brought up in the wrestling thread. It finally arrived in the mail today.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #88
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hmm, sounds like I might have to look into this DDPYoga a bit more as it might be better suited for me than conventional yoga.

I went to yoga once to try it out and although I did really like the exercises, I wasn't at all into the spirituality side of it. It's just not who I am.

At one point, the instructor told the class to pretend your feet were like tree roots and you were supposed to be imagining them going into the ground, searching for water.... I almost burst out laughing cause the instructor sounded really hokey.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #89
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:

Oh please. I get that the meditation part can be important to some people, but yoga without it can be as much a benefit to the physical health of your body as it apparently is to you with it.

Some of us don't 'need' the meditation, and it has nothing to do with insecurities.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #90
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
Yoga is like the aerobics classes of the 80's - in that it's an absolute money maker for studios and gyms.

There is no equipment to buy, instructors are relatively cheap, and you can maximize the dollars per sq/ft.

It really is a great racket.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #91
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Or people don't want to join a religion, and just want to do the physical activity. Its basically the same as the boy scouts requiring belief in a higher power. The activities you are doing don't require the spiritual side.

Just because you don't want to be spirtitual doesn't make you insecure.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #92
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Yoga is like the aerobics classes of the 80's - in that it's an absolute money maker for studios and gyms.

There is no equipment to buy, instructors are relatively cheap, and you can maximize the dollars per sq/ft.

It really is a great racket.
Most low equipment low overhead sports cost about $10 bucks an hour (Basketball, Ultimate, Volleyball.) Hockey is more. So Yoga for $120 a month isn't that unreasonable if you go a few times a week. As soon as you have a Salary to pay be it refs or instructers $10 a class seems okay.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #93
boosterjuice
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I tried the "Energy!" DDp yoga workout yesterday. It was short and sweet.
boosterjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #94
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosterjuice View Post
I tried the "Energy!" DDp yoga workout yesterday. It was short and sweet.

In a good way?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #95
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Or people don't want to join a religion, and just want to do the physical activity. Its basically the same as the boy scouts requiring belief in a higher power. The activities you are doing don't require the spiritual side.

Just because you don't want to be spirtitual doesn't make you insecure.
Who said anything about it being spiritual? Meditation and spirituality are not the same thing, and yoga barely involves anything that could be called actual meditation, even in the more serious studios.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to valo403 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2013, 11:53 PM   #96
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Well, I've joined the DDPYoga club. I looked into this a few months ago, and was planning on ordering it, but never did. This thread reminded me of it, and motivated me to get on it! Just ordered it, and really looking forward to this coming in. Signed up on the TeamDDP site, just waiting for the authorization to go through.

It'll be interesting to see the chats in this thread in a few months time once/if people can stick with the program, looking forward to them.
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #97
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCallahan View Post
Well, I've joined the DDPYoga club. I looked into this a few months ago, and was planning on ordering it, but never did. This thread reminded me of it, and motivated me to get on it! Just ordered it, and really looking forward to this coming in. Signed up on the TeamDDP site, just waiting for the authorization to go through.

It'll be interesting to see the chats in this thread in a few months time once/if people can stick with the program, looking forward to them.
We should start a CalgaryPuck group on TeamDDP.

My DVDs should finally arrive on Monday or Tuesday, so next week I'll be feeling the BANG!. I'm starting to watch the beginners videos on TeamDDPyoga.com so I'm ready to jump right into it.

You know, its funny, I've always known about dynamic resistance, and thought, why not workout without weights, I can do my bench presses on my bed, and bicep curls, etc. etc, just by flexing all the muscles in my arms. I just never ever put that into practice. Now, here I am, using DDP's modified yoga program, which is all about dynamic resistance.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #98
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Who said anything about it being spiritual? Meditation and spirituality are not the same thing, and yoga barely involves anything that could be called actual meditation, even in the more serious studios.
Some earlier said as soon as you ask someone to clear their mind and say a few oms they get uncomfortable. Om is a religious chant. Also I would argue that meditation is closely linked with spirituality. Seeking inner peace or clarity is definately a spiritual activity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Om
Old 05-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #99
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I did the all below the waist one and I am not sure if it is because I also did the insanity test work out a couple hours after but my legs have been killing me for the past 2 days
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #100
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Okey, I'm convinced... just ordered Pack 1. The wife wants to try Yoga anyways. Hope I didn't just waste $90.00 on something I'll do twice and then watch collect dust. Been finding it hard to stay motivated and do my usual workout lately... maybe adding this will help.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bang! , ddpyoga , guys do yoga too , not your mama's yoga , yrg