Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2014, 02:02 PM   #441
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I injured my wrist playing hockey so I'm limiting myself to only doing Stand Up as it has me putting the least pressure on my wrist. Have I ever figured out how to engage and completely own that workout. I've bumped my average HR up by 6 beats in that workout! It really made me realize that I wasn't engaging as well as I could for some of the workouts. You'll see on teamddpyoga.com forums that people are asking why Energy or Fat Burner is so hard to get their HR up. Well, it's because you're not engaging properly. Once you get into a harder workout like Diamond Cutter, it is easier to let up on engaging so your HR doesn't go through the roof. That practice then follows through to the shorter and easier workouts.

Engage! Engage! Engage! That is the secret to owning your DDP Yoga workout.
Engaging is everything, my heart rate shoots up with fat burner and with energy, but I've dropped energy for now, and I'm focusing on 3 days of fat burner and 2 days of core, and I'm looking to add on below the belt or doing two diamond cutters on the weekend.

It does get tough now because I'm starting up with coaching 3 nights a week.

But going back to engaging its huge. I mentally have to focus on the bent knee and pulling my legs together.

The other thing that I do, is when I'm in the lunge going into something like the Super star or that swim motion is to really lift my upper body or exaggeration of the movement.

The other thing, and I really struggle with it because I'm not the most agile guy in the world is the transitions. So for example in fat burner going from three legged dog (arf arf arf) to a lunge is a really difficult movement.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:37 PM   #442
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can swing my right leg through better than my left leg, but it still doesn't look very graceful.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:01 PM   #443
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, I've noticed though that my balance in terms of left and right strength and movements is pretty even since I've been doing this.

Just to put this into perspective, I started this in June of last year, so in 9 months I've lost 49 pounds and dropped close to 6 inches from my waist line.

I still have a long way to go, but I can get through the workouts without pause.

With energy I'm all advanced now, with fat burner I don't modify except for the twisting lunge as I treat that as a mini rest and I can't come off of my knee on the kneeling diamond cutter.

In core I can do all of the motions but I'm not in the straight leg positions yet, I'm still doing bent knee core.

So I'm very happy with this program.

but my transitions still are terrible oh and the pop back into pushups is awful.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:37 PM   #444
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

It has been a while since we've spoken of this here.

I struggled getting motivated between Christmas and April. I still did it, but sometimes I'd just not workout for a week, just because. Well I changed that in mid April when I came up with a concrete schedule. I saw people would do a 30 day challenge where they would do nothing but Diamond Cutter or Double Black Diamond for 30 days. Or they would do Red Hot Core for 30 days, whether they did another workout or not. One guy did Double Black Diamond for 42 consecutive days. It got me thinking that I need that dedication, but I want to change things up. So I made a schedule and decided to start it when the playoffs start, and go until they end. In total I had 48 days planned and I would see how much longer I needed to go. Here is my 6 day schedule:

Day 1: Stand Up. + optional Red Hot Core
Day 2: Mix Tape. + optional Red Hot Core (RHC must be done on one of these two days)
Day 3: Diamond Cutter
Day 4: Below The Belt + optional Red Hot Core
Day 5: Strength Builder + optional Red Hot Core (RHC must be done on one of these two days)
Day 6: Double Black Diamond.
Day 7: Start from day 1 all over again.

I would do this 6 day rotation, without breaks for 8 weeks. I decided that it was okay to miss a day, but for each day I missed I would add two workouts to the end of the 48 day schedule. I actually missed 3 days in my first 21 days.

Unfortunately, that all came crashing to a halt this last weekend when I herniated a disc while jumping on the trampoline with my kids. I fell awkwardly as I was trying not to land on my youngest. I felt something happen but there was no pain or loss of movement, but I quit and decided to take it easy the rest of the day. The next day, I did a Dustin Penner, only I was counting money instead of eating pancakes and my back was a mess. So now I am rehabbing my back so I can get to a point where it is safe to resume DDPYoga again.

How was the workout schedule going? It was going quite well. I really felt I was making huge strides with my strength and flexibility. I was able to do some of the challenging holds that you see DDP do in the videos when he shows you that there is always someplace else to go. I finally figured out how to completely engage and keep my HR in my mid to upper zone for the entire workout. It was just going great.

So, once I'm better, I'll easy back into things, but when I feel good I'm going to modify this schedule a bit and allow a rest day after DC and DBD. Feel free to give it a try, that's why I'm sharing it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2014, 03:01 PM   #445
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Good on ya for having a plan. It is quite tough getting back into it after a lengthy time off.

Over a month ago during the Diamond Cutter workout, I modified the quick twitch pushups to "clapping pushups" and maybe was going a bit too hard and tore\strained the rotator cuff in my left shoulder. I could barely put a jacket on afterward.

That shut me down for about a month, and I am now just getting back into it. Man oh man am I having motivation issues. Its amazing how just a month can set you back. Pre injury I was 5-6 workouts a week. Now I am at 2 at the most.

We will see how it goes.
sa226 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:01 PM   #446
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its been tough for me since football season started. I've also been brutalized at work lately so I've been about 3 weeks off, I've decided that I might as well take advantage of the warm weather and get my excercise with football and coaching and jump back into it in a month.

I feel pretty guilty about it, but I will return to it once my life settles down by mid June.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:14 AM   #447
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually just purchased the DVDs and am waiting for them to show up. I signed up for a half marathon in September, but I tend to get sore knees once I reach a certain distance, so I thought that some yoga would strengthen the muscles that support my knee. Hopefully I'll be able to do that and run 5x a week. Any suggestions which workout would be good for strengthening my lower body?
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:07 AM   #448
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

There's a whole lower body workout that's excellent for people with knee and hip injuries, but start with the energy to get used to the movements.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:27 AM   #449
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with Captain, do some Energy and Fat Burner to get used to the workouts first.

After that you can do Stand Up! It is really good for your balance. Below The Belt works your legs hard. Strength Builder also has good components for your legs but it isn't limited to just legs. Mix Tape is also a killer. It is a quick 30 minute mashup of some of the hardest spots of all the workouts. My legs burn after doing it. But Below The Belt definitely focuses on your legs.

Also you can't ignore Diamond Cutter or Double Black Diamond. Total body workouts, they are awesome. Try following my schedule that I listed above. You'll get what you want for your legs, plus more. These workouts are also very good for cardio. Last summer I worked out 4-5 days per week and only did DDPYoga. When I started hockey in September I couldn't believe how much more improved I was in total fitness. I hardly fought for air anymore. Instead of wanting the guys to slow down right from the beginning I wanted them to pick up the pace near the end of the game.

The total all around benefits are awesome. I didn't measure leg size, but my legs are definitely stronger and I'm pretty sure they are growing in size due to muscle growth too.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:18 PM   #450
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I'm 4 days into this, and I'm already 8" closer to touching my toes. I could barely get my hands past my knees when I started and I'm extremely close to touching my toes now.

It's a really good workout that's been kicking my arse something fierce, but I feel good doing it, and outside my chest I don't really feel it in the morning (those 3 CT pushups are killing me). That means that I have no problem putting in another workout the next day.

Even after buying this, I really thought it was gimmicky. It's still early, but I'm becoming a pretty big believer in the program. Strong recommend to anyone considering it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2014, 11:33 PM   #451
TjRhythmic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
So I'm 4 days into this, and I'm already 8" closer to touching my toes. I could barely get my hands past my knees when I started and I'm extremely close to touching my toes now.

It's a really good workout that's been kicking my arse something fierce, but I feel good doing it, and outside my chest I don't really feel it in the morning (those 3 CT pushups are killing me). That means that I have no problem putting in another workout the next day.

Even after buying this, I really thought it was gimmicky. It's still early, but I'm becoming a pretty big believer in the program. Strong recommend to anyone considering it.
Nice dood.

I had it for awhile, but never really bought into it, did it sporadically... this month I'm challenging myself to do at least one of the workouts once a day, sometimes twice... did fat burner tonight and pretty much spent the last 5 minutes of it in safety zone... it humbled me. Didn't think "yoga" could do that to me haha. I've done the p90x workouts, and other beachbody stuff and unlike with them, with DDP my joints don't hurt afterwards... it's actually nice, I actually feel more, stable. I'm sold on it.

Actually doing a p90x3/DDP yoga hybrid. Doing red hot core everyday, and swapping the p90x3 cardio and yoga workouts with DDP yoga.

Once I get more comfortable I might do Buff's schedule that he posted in this thread.
TjRhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:42 AM   #452
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm glad it is working out for you. DDPYoga is truly a good workout and if you're doing it with an open mind you can make it work. If you are dead set against yoga and you only do the workout to appease somebody trying to sell it to you, then it won't work. The same thing applies to any workout.

Well, three weeks later I'm ready to resume working out again. I'm going to ease into things and do a few Energy and Fat Burner workouts, with a day or two of rest in between, before I get back into my regular schedule (which will also include rest days).
Old 06-04-2014, 05:23 PM   #453
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been doing the workouts every other day as per the beginning schedule, but I could definitely do it more often.

Should I be following the schedule? I don't want my muscles to get used to the exercise, per se. But I'm wondering if I can just ramp it up a bit, or maybe advance to the intermediate schedule. I'm finding it enjoyable but not challenging (except for the 3-count push ups!!)
Old 06-04-2014, 08:07 PM   #454
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
I've been doing the workouts every other day as per the beginning schedule, but I could definitely do it more often.

Should I be following the schedule? I don't want my muscles to get used to the exercise, per se. But I'm wondering if I can just ramp it up a bit, or maybe advance to the intermediate schedule. I'm finding it enjoyable but not challenging (except for the 3-count push ups!!)
When I started I tried to follow the schedule but it wasn't enough so I added extra workouts, following the schedule only to know when to introduce a new workout. I didn't follow the schedules after that. I just made up my own schedule week by week but that wasn't concrete enough for me so I came up with my own schedule as shown a few posts up.

Basically , make DDPYoga your own. Do what works for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2014, 08:13 PM   #455
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

Yeah, I followed the schedule for probably the first 2 months and since then I've been winging it. Right now I am doing Energy or Fatburner with RHC two days a week and below the belt the other 2 days. My wife who mocked me at first, has joined in and to her surprise she quite likes the workouts.
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:25 PM   #456
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did BTB yesterday and while my legs aren't sore today, they sure are tired. I don't think I'll do it more than twice a week for now. I found Energy too easy, so I'll be using that as my "day off" workout. I'm trying to add RHC to every "day on" workout, although BTB was pretty gruelling yesterday and I didn't think I had enough to add to it.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:34 PM   #457
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Yeah, Energy is the one I've been doing for the most part. It's a bit more intense when I add in RHC, but I think I'll follow Biff's advice and just make up my own schedule. I think doing it every day would wear thin on me, so maybe 4-5 days a week.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #458
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah, just make your own schedule.

There's plenty of modifications that you can do so don't be afraid to try Diamond Cutter if you want to see what its like.

My favorite quick workout to squeeze in when I'm busy is a high tempo Fat burner with RHC added on.

I honestly didn't do the Stand Up or below the belt that often, but threw them in every once in awhile just to change it up.

Strength builder is a good change of pace too.

You can pretty much do whatever you want. Schedule be damned.

I found what motivated me the most early on was trying something I wasn't really ready for. Just when I thought I was getting comfortable with energy or fat burner, I attempted Diamond Cutter and it kicked my ass, humbled and motivated me at the same time.
sa226 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2014, 11:19 AM   #459
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

So would you guys recommend this as a replacement for a current workout routine, supplement, or what? For my cardio I was playing soccer and doing a lot of HIIT running and density sprinting sessions, and then combining this with density weight-training 2-3 times per week. However, I'm recently recovering from a concussion so I'm trying to focus on more low-impact stuff, but I'd really like to burn off about 5-6% of my body fat within the next 6-8weeks (currently at 14% give or take). Would this be more or less challenging than my previous routine?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #460
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
So would you guys recommend this as a replacement for a current workout routine, supplement, or what? For my cardio I was playing soccer and doing a lot of HIIT running and density sprinting sessions, and then combining this with density weight-training 2-3 times per week. However, I'm recently recovering from a concussion so I'm trying to focus on more low-impact stuff, but I'd really like to burn off about 5-6% of my body fat within the next 6-8weeks (currently at 14% give or take). Would this be more or less challenging than my previous routine?
The only thing I supplement my DDPYoga is with is cardio, usually 3-4 times a week. Aim to do DDPYoga 5-6 times a week. I had back issues and needed the low impact workout. Usually try to do an hour of cardio in the AM with an hour + of DDPYoga in the evening when I'm doubling up.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jar_e For This Useful Post:

Tags
bang! , ddpyoga , guys do yoga too , not your mama's yoga , yrg