Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #301
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So I've been reading through this and I'm thinking about pulling the trigger. My hope is to get a few things out of this program and I'm hoping those that have been using it can provide some feedback.

A few years ago I dropped about 80lbs (280lbs - 200lbs). Since then I've been trying my damnedest to lose more to get to my ideal weight; to get to a point where I feel confident about the way I look. When it comes to toning and loosing a bit of weight is this a program that would help with that?

The other thing is that I've had problems with my knees for a very long time. I can barely bend them without having them hurt like crazy and trying to get back up is very difficult too. I don't run on the treadmill because the next day when I wake up I can barely walk down the stairs. Sometimes I can't even sit at the movie theatre because my knees will just get tired and need some stretching and I can't really do that (6' 3" tall). I've read a few posts stating that this program seems to help in flexibility and help relieve chronic problems. Based on everyone's experience do you think I could see some benefit in doing this? I know we aren't doctors here and I've been to one, got x-rays and they haven't seen anything out of the ordinary so I don't have lots of options.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #302
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think you'd definitely see benefits to both for you.

At 6'3 200 pounds I don't see why you wouldn't be confident thats pretty close to an ideal weight if not a little under.

But yeah it can definately help.

As far as the knees, if your like me where its not so much stand out damage but more wear and tear and maybe a bit from underworking them. Then this is a fabulous set of workouts. Probably for you once you get going, the standup workout is pretty much designed for people with knee and hip problems.

The hip stretches at the end of the two first workouts have made a world of difference for me. Frankly my knee's and limbs feel a lot better.

The biggest thing is there's next to no impacts on your limbs.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #303
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just a bit of an update from me...

Didn't have the best week in regards to following the program, but I will blame it all on being in block week and putting about 80 hours into school over the week. Had my first go at the fat burner workout today and found it is another good one. My plan is to go back and forth between energy and fat burner for the first little while and add in red hot core when I'm feeling really ambitious.

A couple of things I've really liked about the workouts:
- Even though I have only done them a few times, I have definitely felt some improvement in my hips and abs. I feel like my form is a getting better and better and I am still not modifying too much (other than the damn push ups!).
- I definitely notice the "low impact" aspect of the work outs. As opposed to feeling sore the next day after the work outs I actually feel really good. I have some hip and knee issues and I am not finding them to get sore, but the I feel like the muscles around them have been worked out.
- It is great that you can get a good work out in 20 minutes or so. Once I've got my schedule sorted out a bit better I am thinking I could easily do this everyday before work.
bagofpucks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #304
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
Just a bit of an update from me...

Didn't have the best week in regards to following the program, but I will blame it all on being in block week and putting about 80 hours into school over the week. Had my first go at the fat burner workout today and found it is another good one. My plan is to go back and forth between energy and fat burner for the first little while and add in red hot core when I'm feeling really ambitious.

A couple of things I've really liked about the workouts:
- Even though I have only done them a few times, I have definitely felt some improvement in my hips and abs. I feel like my form is a getting better and better and I am still not modifying too much (other than the damn push ups!).
- I definitely notice the "low impact" aspect of the work outs. As opposed to feeling sore the next day after the work outs I actually feel really good. I have some hip and knee issues and I am not finding them to get sore, but the I feel like the muscles around them have been worked out.
- It is great that you can get a good work out in 20 minutes or so. Once I've got my schedule sorted out a bit better I am thinking I could easily do this everyday before work.
Your kind of following my path I'm two months in and I'm still doing energy and fat burner and making sure I own them. I'm still getting a great workout and sweating like crazy. I can just modify it to get tougher and tougher as I go.. I'm adding core next week and dropping some of the energy. To be honest, Core scares the crap out of me right now.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #305
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Your kind of following my path I'm two months in and I'm still doing energy and fat burner and making sure I own them. I'm still getting a great workout and sweating like crazy. I can just modify it to get tougher and tougher as I go.. I'm adding core next week and dropping some of the energy. To be honest, Core scares the crap out of me right now.
Red hot core? Honestly, it wasn't too bad. It's only 12 minutes, so that's a plus. I found each of the exercises has at least one modification and some have two, so that really helps. I've only done it once so far and I would say close to a third of the exercises I had to use the medium difficulty modification just to get the form right, but it certainly isn't too intimidating. I'm scared of the diamond cutter!
bagofpucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #306
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar_e View Post
Well, made the plunge and bought the combo pack today. Excited to get into the swing of things and try it out.
Because you are excited you should be able to own and it really make it work for you. I've never been so excited for a workout like I was when I first ordered DDP Yoga.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #307
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
Red hot core? Honestly, it wasn't too bad. It's only 12 minutes, so that's a plus. I found each of the exercises has at least one modification and some have two, so that really helps. I've only done it once so far and I would say close to a third of the exercises I had to use the medium difficulty modification just to get the form right, but it certainly isn't too intimidating. I'm scared of the diamond cutter!
It isn't hard to do, and it is easy to modify so you can get through the workout, but you really feel the burn BANG! in your abs and after the workout your abs are worn out!

I don't do Red Hot Core on its own. I always add it onto the end of a workout. For me it works great to do it after any of the shorter 30-ish minute workouts. I have done it after the 53 minute Diamond Cutter workout, but I'm not quite as into RHC after that one, I modify and cheat like crazy. I really own RHC when done after the shorter workouts, but even though I'm cheating on RHC after DC, I'm still doing something good for my abs.

I hate the scissor crunches, and DDP really ticks me off when you're doing Jackknife and he counts to five for each position, then pauses for a 3 hour explanation before he starts the last 5 count, in the meantime your abs are screaming at you to scream at him to get on with it!

Last edited by Buff; 09-09-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #308
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bought a yoga mat today. Anyone taking any supplements? Thought about Whey protein, but not sure if it would do anything with this program.

Last edited by badradio; 09-09-2013 at 08:39 PM.
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #309
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradio View Post
Bought a yoga mat today. Anyone taking any supplements? Thought about Whey protein, but not sure if it would do anything with this program.
Nah, I don't bother with protein and stuff like that anymore. I take some vitamins and leave it at that.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #310
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
So I've been reading through this and I'm thinking about pulling the trigger. My hope is to get a few things out of this program and I'm hoping those that have been using it can provide some feedback.

A few years ago I dropped about 80lbs (280lbs - 200lbs). Since then I've been trying my damnedest to lose more to get to my ideal weight; to get to a point where I feel confident about the way I look. When it comes to toning and loosing a bit of weight is this a program that would help with that?

The other thing is that I've had problems with my knees for a very long time. I can barely bend them without having them hurt like crazy and trying to get back up is very difficult too. I don't run on the treadmill because the next day when I wake up I can barely walk down the stairs. Sometimes I can't even sit at the movie theatre because my knees will just get tired and need some stretching and I can't really do that (6' 3" tall). I've read a few posts stating that this program seems to help in flexibility and help relieve chronic problems. Based on everyone's experience do you think I could see some benefit in doing this? I know we aren't doctors here and I've been to one, got x-rays and they haven't seen anything out of the ordinary so I don't have lots of options.
I thought I commented on this before but I see I missed it. I have knee problems and have been nursing a knee injury all summer long. It probably would have gone away if I wasn't playing ball hockey twice per week for May and June. DDP Yoga however has made my knee feel a lot better. I hadn't tried the Standup workout yet but I intend to do so this week. I had the same routine for May and June and that was play hockey, hurt knee, feel better later in the week and hurt knee at hockey again. Then in July it was a bit less painfull because I was only playing once per week. So I would hurt my knee on Wednesday night, it would feel pretty good by Tuesday, then back to hurt again. Now that I've taken off all of August and half of September from hockey my knee is pretty much healed. All I've been doing is DDP Yoga. Mostly focusing on Diamond Cutter and Fat Burner (and Red Hot Core) workouts. I've tried Strenght Builder and it could help my knees out too, but Standup is meant for people with bad knees and hips, so I'm going to give it a try. Hopefully before I get back to running on the gym floor I can get my knees stronger and more stable to lessen the risk of injury.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #311
Flamesoholic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

After reading about all of your continuing enthusiasm for this program, I'm thinking I might get it for both my husband and I, but I'm wondering what the opinions are on whether or not this would be a good program for women? I haven't done any yoga before and I'm thinking it would be more comfortable for me to try it out at home before venturing out to an actual class. I'm the same as some of you, the meditation portions of real yoga classes kind of scares me off (at least for now), so maybe this would be a good fit?
My husband definitely hasn't done anything like yoga before but we both need to start getting back into pre-baby shape. I'm hoping this might work for both of us.
Another question; the heart monitor that they offer on the site, is this one worth buying or are there better ones to be found elsewhere?
Old 09-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #312
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesoholic View Post
After reading about all of your continuing enthusiasm for this program, I'm thinking I might get it for both my husband and I, but I'm wondering what the opinions are on whether or not this would be a good program for women? I haven't done any yoga before and I'm thinking it would be more comfortable for me to try it out at home before venturing out to an actual class. I'm the same as some of you, the meditation portions of real yoga classes kind of scares me off (at least for now), so maybe this would be a good fit?
My husband definitely hasn't done anything like yoga before but we both need to start getting back into pre-baby shape. I'm hoping this might work for both of us.
Another question; the heart monitor that they offer on the site, is this one worth buying or are there better ones to be found elsewhere?
As I mentioned earlier in the thread this is really a variation on what to be termed "power yoga" (the local Y has weekly classes etc). It's really a vigorous routine that focuses on strength and flexibility and not on meditation (though breathing is still important). My wife has been doing power yoga for a couple of years now and it is very effective for both sexes. You will get stronger and you will get more definition but you won't get bulky. The difference with DDP is that you have the dynamic resistance which ends up increasing heart rate a bit more etc (this dynamic resistance is really what you often do when you rehab injuries so it has a solid basis).

Last edited by ernie; 09-10-2013 at 12:33 PM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #313
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Meditation, I don't need Yoga to muse on the ruination of my enemies.

I do that after dinner.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #314
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
There are women in the videos and if you need to modify the poses they show you how and everything. The nice thing is you really can make the program suited for your own abilities - gender isn't a factor. If you went to a yoga class it's not the same as DDP yoga, like ernie said it's more of a power yoga.
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to badradio For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #315
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Check out the blog about this chick's journey to owning her life.

http://www.bodyrebooted.com/

DDP Yoga is totally for anybody. Not just guys or girls. It was initially coined YRG (Yoga for Regular Guys) to target the male population, which was DDP's largest fanbase. However DDP Yoga can benefit anybody who:

a) is alive
b) wants to increase their health.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #316
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradio View Post
There are women in the videos and if you need to modify the poses they show you how and everything. The nice thing is you really can make the program suited for your own abilities - gender isn't a factor. If you went to a yoga class it's not the same as DDP yoga, like ernie said it's more of a power yoga.
It's power power yoga.
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #317
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Check out the blog about this chick's journey to owning her life.

http://www.bodyrebooted.com/

DDP Yoga is totally for anybody. Not just guys or girls. It was initially coined YRG (Yoga for Regular Guys) to target the male population, which was DDP's largest fanbase. However DDP Yoga can benefit anybody who:

a) is alive
b) wants to increase their health.
I think Stacey the one in the Energy workout lost about 45 pounds and she looks fabulous

There's another Stacey that lost about 185 lbs

http://www.ddpyoga.com/stacey.html

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #318
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I think Stacey the one in the Energy workout lost about 45 pounds and she looks fabulous

There's another Stacey that lost about 185 lbs

http://www.ddpyoga.com/stacey.html

That Stacey you linked to is also a big motivational story, much like Arthur Boorman's. There are quite a bit of those stories actually. DDP Yoga works.
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #319
Flamesoholic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Did any of you get the heart monitor the site offers? Or did you buy one on your own?
Old 09-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #320
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Did any of you get the heart monitor the site offers? Or did you buy one on your own?
I bought my own with the chest strap, its just more accurate.

Tags
bang! , ddpyoga , guys do yoga too , not your mama's yoga , yrg