Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-21-2015, 01:46 PM   #2321
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Also water is wet.

Honestly, it is a mind set thing that will never change.

I am sacred for the country my nephews will grow up in.
It can change....look at how the numbers change as people get educated.

But that would require a country that actually tries to educate their people instead of having policies that if a certain number of kids don't show up the school doesn't get funding for that day. Thus punishing the kids that did show up and want to learn.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:47 PM   #2322
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

double post
Old 10-21-2015, 01:57 PM   #2323
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
It can change....look at how the numbers change as people get educated.

But that would require a country that actually tries to educate their people instead of having policies that if a certain number of kids don't show up the school doesn't get funding for that day. Thus punishing the kids that did show up and want to learn.
It can change, but I am becoming more and more skeptical it will change.

I hope I am wrong, I would love to be wrong.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:06 PM   #2324
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
It can change, but I am becoming more and more skeptical it will change.

I hope I am wrong, I would love to be wrong.
Honestly I think it will but it will start with logical almost universally supported legislation. Once people start realizing the government isn't coming for your guns it'll change. Also, as more and more people start to lean left it'll change. It's seems known that as people age they move left...this includes Supreme Court justices. It'll get there. Not soon enough but it'll get there.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:40 AM   #2325
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

A masked man kills 1 and injures 4 in a Swedish school.

Solution is clearly more good guys with swords.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:01 AM   #2326
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
Honestly I think it will but it will start with logical almost universally supported legislation. Once people start realizing the government isn't coming for your guns it'll change. Also, as more and more people start to lean left it'll change. It's seems known that as people age they move left...this includes Supreme Court justices. It'll get there. Not soon enough but it'll get there.
??? It seems known...?!

Generally as people age they become more conservative, not liberal. They talk about how things were in their day and why it was better. It's even in the name. Conservativism. Wanting to conserve the status quo, resisting change. That's something that comes with age. A young person isn't committed to the status quo and probably doesnt even feel they belong to it. Think, the old man complaining about kids on his lawn and how entitled the new generation is. The fact that some of the older justices are also the most left leaning is a coincidence. And possibly not even a important one cause conpared to the average person ALL the justices are old. It stands to reason some people are just more or less conservative or liberal.

A lot of it is social and environmental too. A 65 year old person in New York could be a heck of a lot more liberal than a 30 year old in Alabama. Age might not be THAT big a factor, all thingd considered. But on average, one gets more conservative in age.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:48 AM   #2327
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
A masked man kills 1 and injures 4 in a Swedish school.

Solution is clearly more good guys with swords.
The guy was wearing a Darth Vader mask and posing for pictures with the students before he turned on them and went on a rampage. ####ing scary.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2015, 08:06 AM   #2328
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

WTF, lol wow.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:07 AM   #2329
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
??? It seems known...?!

Generally as people age they become more conservative, not liberal. They talk about how things were in their day and why it was better. It's even in the name. Conservativism. Wanting to conserve the status quo, resisting change. That's something that comes with age. A young person isn't committed to the status quo and probably doesnt even feel they belong to it. Think, the old man complaining about kids on his lawn and how entitled the new generation is. The fact that some of the older justices are also the most left leaning is a coincidence. And possibly not even a important one cause conpared to the average person ALL the justices are old. It stands to reason some people are just more or less conservative or liberal.

A lot of it is social and environmental too. A 65 year old person in New York could be a heck of a lot more liberal than a 30 year old in Alabama. Age might not be THAT big a factor, all thingd considered. But on average, one gets more conservative in age.
Five thirty eight just had an article on how justices get more liberal as they age..it isn't really a coincidence. And yes in general as people age they get more liberal or accommodating then they once were. Maybe not more liberal compared to a younger generation existing at the same time as they are old but more liberal then they themselves once were when it comes to social aspects. The question in this becomes the growing trend that I see that this is becoming looked at as a social issue in many cases and trumping civil liberties (which can trend right as people age). It's why you are at as unanimous support as you can get for that more social part of the problem...background checks on any gun sale. The best way to win this battle is to continue phrasing things not as taking your guns away but more as you can have your guns provided you do these things. You shift it from a civil liberties to more social argument.

Anyways, the other thing that has happened since Samdy Hook is that some states have passed greater restrictions on gun and ammo storage. But the federal government needs to follow suit so it isn't a state by state thing.

Last edited by ernie; 10-23-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:11 PM   #2330
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Two semi-automatic pistols found in ceiling at U of C lead to charges

http://calgaryherald.com/news/crime/...-of-c-building

Scary
Old 10-23-2015, 02:15 PM   #2331
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow....that dood is gonna be in a world of trouble.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:23 PM   #2332
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good. These are the types of firearms and people that need to be targeted. Nice catch, hope he gets hammered.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:28 PM   #2333
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
Good. These are the types of firearms and people that need to be targeted. Nice catch, hope he gets hammered.
So it would be better if they found a 30-06 up there?
Old 10-23-2015, 03:35 PM   #2334
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
So it would be better if they found a 30-06 up there?
What difference does the chambering make?

If the serial numbers are defaced, it's not properly stored, or in possession by an unlicensed individual it wouldn't matter what it was. Illegal firearm out of the hands of someone not in authorization to posses one is a good thing. What it is makes no difference.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2Stonedbirds For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2015, 04:21 PM   #2335
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

^ I think someone is just upset that the usual two sides of the gun debate have come into agreement on this particular case
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2015, 04:32 PM   #2336
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah I have no clue why he thinks a firearm chambered in 30-06 makes a lick of difference as far as the laws are concerned.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:56 PM   #2337
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

By 30-06 I just mean basic hunting rifle. I know that's wrong, just the way my dad referred to them so it's automatic for me.

And we're on the same page it seems. You said "these are the types of firearms and people thye should be targetting". My question is, what does it matter what type of firearm? There are guns stashed in the ceiling of a school, whether it's illegal automatic pistols, the hunting rifle from his dad's garage, or a freaking BB gun doesn't really matter. What concerns me is why they are there and who put them there.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:17 PM   #2338
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
By 30-06 I just mean basic hunting rifle. I know that's wrong, just the way my dad referred to them so it's automatic for me.
Wouldn't matter if it's grandpappies single shot Cooey or Rambo's M60. Defacing serial numbers makes it an illegal firearm, those are the ones L.E. needs to be targeting.

Quote:
And we're on the same page it seems. You said "these are the types of firearms and people thye should be targetting". My question is, what does it matter what type of firearm?
Huh? Your question was "So it would be better if they found a 30-06 up there?" My answer was it doesn't matter what the firearm is or what it's chambered in. Where are you going with this?

Quote:
There are guns stashed in the ceiling of a school, whether it's illegal automatic pistols, the hunting rifle from his dad's garage, or a freaking BB gun doesn't really matter. What concerns me is why they are there and who put them there.
Your question was asking me if it would be better if it was a 30-06. It was my question of 'what difference would that make'. So why bring it up? Doesn't matter what it is because...

A: It's been defaced. Illegal firearm. Doesn't matter what it is.
B: He's not a licence holder. Illegal possession of a firearm. Doesn't matter what it is.
C: Casually tossed up in a deadspace. Illegal storage of a firearm. Doesn't matter what it is.

So why ask me if it would be better if it was a 30-06? If your concerned about why they are there and who put them there than why not ask that instead?

'Freaking BB guns' are by definition not firearms. If the projectile they shoot travels under 500fps it doesn't fall under the firearms act so it wouldn't matter if he had stashed a whole pile of BB guns up there. Apples/oranges.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:29 PM   #2339
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
Wouldn't matter if it's grandpappies single shot Cooey or Rambo's M60. Defacing serial numbers makes it an illegal firearm, those are the ones L.E. needs to be targeting.

Huh? Your question was "So it would be better if they found a 30-06 up there?" My answer was it doesn't matter what the firearm is or what it's chambered in. Where are you going with this?

Your question was asking me if it would be better if it was a 30-06. It was my question of 'what difference would that make'. So why bring it up? Doesn't matter what it is because...

A: It's been defaced. Illegal firearm. Doesn't matter what it is.
B: He's not a licence holder. Illegal possession of a firearm. Doesn't matter what it is.
C: Casually tossed up in a deadspace. Illegal storage of a firearm. Doesn't matter what it is.

So why ask me if it would be better if it was a 30-06? If your concerned about why they are there and who put them there than why not ask that instead?

'Freaking BB guns' are by definition not firearms. If the projectile they shoot travels under 500fps it doesn't fall under the firearms act so it wouldn't matter if he had stashed a whole pile of BB guns up there. Apples/oranges.
I think we're at least close to the same page. When you said that "these are the firearms they should be targetting" I took it to mean that you were referring to type as in semi-auto, auto, hunting, BB whatever, not that it is technically illegal just by being up there (among having it serial removed and being unlicensed). Of course it's illegal to stash it there. My concern is WHY it was stashed there, and not where it came from, what the guys licensing issues are or what have you. I doubt it was left up there by accident. If he was the licensed owner of the gun and everything was legal except for the fact that it was there, it's still very, very concerning.

I just don't get the need to set it apart from any other firearm, legal or not. What concerns me is that there's a weapon stashed there, presumably for the purpose of being used to harm someone at a later date. It would concern me if there was an axe stashed up there or a bag of kitchen knives.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:38 PM   #2340
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I think we're at least close to the same page. When you said that "these are the firearms they should be targetting" I took it to mean that you were referring to type as in semi-auto, auto, hunting, BB whatever, not that it is technically illegal just by being up there (among having it serial removed and being unlicensed). Of course it's illegal to stash it there. My concern is WHY it was stashed there, and not where it came from, what the guys licensing issues are or what have you. I doubt it was left up there by accident. If he was the licensed owner of the gun and everything was legal except for the fact that it was there, it's still very, very concerning.

I just don't get the need to set it apart from any other firearm, legal or not. What concerns me is that there's a weapon stashed there, presumably for the purpose of being used to harm someone at a later date. It would concern me if there was an axe stashed up there or a bag of kitchen knives.

To the bolded, why is that?
Closed Thread