Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 07:43 AM   #4401
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestu View Post
Was looking at getting out on my road bike this afternoon. Are you able to cycle up the switchbacks at COP or do you need a pass?
You can ride them. You don't need a pass to bike them.
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2017, 08:00 AM   #4402
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

whew, it was fresh out there this morning. I left at 6 and by the time I got to the shop, almost every vertical surface on me and my bike had a nice layer of ice/frost on it.

fog was heaviest in the river valley. was sure nice after about 6.30. glad I had booties and medium weight gloves to wear.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:10 PM   #4403
Simon96Taco
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I like this thread.

I'd like to start biking to work soon (from Fairmount Drive/Southland to downtown) again, but it's been just a tad too chilly for me so far. I'm not a great cyclist and a bit of a wimp with the cold. I'd love to be one of those year round guys, but I'm just not there yet.

I typically ride across Macleod, up through Kingsland, past Chinook, through Windsor Park and then join the Elbow River pathway around Stanley Park. That makes for an approximately 12.5km ride or so, each way. A fair bit of that is on roads. A more scenic and preferable ride is if I follow Southland Drive down to the dog park, then follow the Bow River pathway the whole way in. Much less on-road biking this way, but it ends up being considerably farther, at 20+km each way. I wish there was a better bike-path route through the city that could get me there!

Need to get my road bike down off the wall and give it a once over so she's ready!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Simon96Taco For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2017, 01:14 PM   #4404
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forecast is all over the place for the next 3-4 days depending on which forecaster you are looking at (EC, Accuweather, The Weather Network, etc). Weather Network has 5-10cm snow accumulation for Thursday. Others seem to show little or no accumulation. Oh who to believe?
Old 04-10-2017, 01:43 PM   #4405
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

The seasonal bikers are back. The bike room is crammed. Us winter bikers now get to scoff and complain.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2017, 02:54 PM   #4406
Simon96Taco
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
The seasonal bikers are back. The bike room is crammed. Us winter bikers now get to scoff and complain.
I'm sorry....I'm one of 'em!
Old 04-10-2017, 03:00 PM   #4407
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I guess the one benefit of our building now being half empty is that there's lots of room in the bike cage now! (I'm one of the seasonal bikers)
The Following User Says Thank You to tete For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2017, 03:39 PM   #4408
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tete View Post
I guess the one benefit of our building now being half empty is that there's lots of room in the bike cage now! (I'm one of the seasonal bikers)
We used to have 2 bike rooms and they nuked one of them. The ridership per capita also seems way up at our office in the last couple years. It's actually impressive how many people are biking on the nice days.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:00 PM   #4409
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not sure you can ride all the way downtown via the bow river pathway. Last summer it was closed for construction right around beaver dam flats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon96Taco View Post
I like this thread.

I'd like to start biking to work soon (from Fairmount Drive/Southland to downtown) again, but it's been just a tad too chilly for me so far. I'm not a great cyclist and a bit of a wimp with the cold. I'd love to be one of those year round guys, but I'm just not there yet.

I typically ride across Macleod, up through Kingsland, past Chinook, through Windsor Park and then join the Elbow River pathway around Stanley Park. That makes for an approximately 12.5km ride or so, each way. A fair bit of that is on roads. A more scenic and preferable ride is if I follow Southland Drive down to the dog park, then follow the Bow River pathway the whole way in. Much less on-road biking this way, but it ends up being considerably farther, at 20+km each way. I wish there was a better bike-path route through the city that could get me there!

Need to get my road bike down off the wall and give it a once over so she's ready!
Old 04-10-2017, 10:27 PM   #4410
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I am not sure you can ride all the way downtown via the bow river pathway. Last summer it was closed for construction right around beaver dam flats.
The construction is still not quite done...
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2017, 06:53 AM   #4411
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

so my ciommuter bike has avid elixir 3 hydraulic brakes on it and over the past week or os the rear brake is not performing as well as the front one, so I figure I will add some fluid and see if that fixes the issue, so I go to my LBS to grab some DOT brake fluid and I then find out that with these brakes you can't just top them up and you then need a special $70 kit to bleed them - ugh. so rather than buy the kit (because all of our other bikes have shimano brakes), I am going to take it to my LBS and have them see if they can fix the brake or if I am going to upgrade to Shimano brakes.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:25 PM   #4412
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Anyone have an extra saddle collecting dust?

A friend gave me his wife's road bike to clean/tune up and it looks like either it was dropped or something was dropped on it because the nose of the saddle is snapped. I don't think she's ever ridden the bike.

I was hoping for something really cheap/free. Otherwise I'll just hit the LBS and dig through their bin of discount saddles.

Last edited by KTrain; 04-11-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:54 PM   #4413
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah i think I do Ktrain. Let me dig around.
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2017, 06:07 PM   #4414
annasuave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Can anyone suggest a good place get a wheel trued? That's a little outside my skillet. We're talking a standard aluminum wheel - nothing fancy.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:15 PM   #4415
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ persoanlly I'd take it to Cyclepath on Macleod, but you will want to call first as they, and most other bike shops are likely very busy now.

Could also call that mobile place - velofix or something like that.

And was there not someone on here who was starting his own business fixing bikes
Old 04-11-2017, 06:43 PM   #4416
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I also have a few saddles in a bin. I can check the inventory.

Regarding the brake bleed and wheel true, are you guys near the westside? I have bleed kits for all brands of brakes, and also a truing stand.
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2017, 06:43 AM   #4417
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Regarding the brake bleed
thanks for the offer; however, I dropped my rig off at Cyclepath yesterday and I am letting them have a go.

part of me hopes that it is just a simple bleed and then the brake is back to working optimally, the other part of me hopes I need to replace the brakes so I can just run bikes all with shimano brakes
Old 04-12-2017, 12:05 PM   #4418
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I've got this rack on my summer commuter, and it has a plate you can mount a rear light to. I'm having troubles confirming what lights would actually mount to something like this. Anyone know of any?

Spoiler!
Old 04-12-2017, 12:35 PM   #4419
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I think lots of lights will fit, some will need to be modified more than others.

I have one I bought from MEC that has a clip on it that looks like it would likely work

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5038-0...USB-Rear-Light
Old 04-12-2017, 01:18 PM   #4420
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The plate on my rack with the new bike is the same, right now just running a light on the seat post. Let me know if you get a good one that works with it.
Closed Thread