Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2016, 05:45 AM   #761
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is such a tough thread to see bumped. As hard as it was, it sounds like you did the right thing. Sorry to hear that you had to do it though.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:14 AM   #762
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It's the hardest decision we as pet owners will all have to make at some point. I'm sorry for your loss. Your girl will always be with you
#22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #22 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2016, 10:27 AM   #763
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Its the hardest thing and the greatest thing we can do. It should always be about quality not quantity. I am so very sorry for your loss.
Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Suzles For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2016, 02:44 PM   #764
Fire in the disco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thanks Suzles, she was a beauty.
Fire in the disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:58 PM   #765
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire in the disco View Post
Give your pets a hug for me today. One love
I just wanted to say that every time this thread is bumped, I do just that. Sometimes it's an extra hug, sometimes I reflect on this thread when on our walks my dog asks to go to one more park. It lets me appreciate the time I have with my buddy.

So by sharing the story of your pet, you help enrich the life of another.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2016, 03:33 PM   #766
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lots of sadness on here lately, so I thought I'd share an update on my yellow lab, Hunter.

I posted on here about 16 months ago that he had lymphoma and we were exploring options. Decided on chemotherapy and he went into remission almost instantly. Wasn't cheap, but he was only 5 years old so we felt it was a good investment.

He's been cancer free for well over a year now!
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2016, 08:02 PM   #767
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry for your loss Fire, I think this thread is great so people can get some support while they mourn and yet I despise it at the same time because I know someone has lost a member of their family.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2016, 10:04 PM   #768
Fire in the disco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thanks Dissentowner, oddly enough it means a lot that members of the community have such nice things to say.
Fire in the disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:33 AM   #769
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Posting these lovely words again...we lost our lovely fur baby Tequila today. She was a great cat and a true companion to our daughter for most of her life. Sad day..............

A note for those who have lost a cat, or are worrying about when that moment comes.

When we decide to share our lives with a cat, we are making a decision to break our own hearts. That's not melodrama. At some point, that bundle of fur will get under your skin. It doesn't matter how big and tough you are. I've seen British Army Special Forces soldiers cradling their beloved cats with tears in their eyes, hoping against hope that something will put off that fateful moment when they must part. I've seen busy mothers of five children who rule their household with an iron fist reduced to bawling children because they miss their cat. At some point, that cat will work its magic. Its eyes will connect with yours. Its head will rub against yours. Its heart will connect with yours. At that point, you secretly swear your devotion to the animal. It comes under your protection, and you will sacrifice anything to keep it safe. In return, the cat will share that look with you. The one that says "I love you too". That's a special gift, and unless you have been loved by a cat, it is a meaningless one. But if you HAVE been loved by a cat, then you know the value of that gift. It means that the cat will give you a lifetime of love. They will literally spend their entire life in your company. You will feed them, protect them, keep them warm and safe. And they will give you their entire life.
Their entire life. That's their commitment. And what is yours? Easy, you commit to the knowledge that at some point in the future you will be given a terrible decision to make. That decision will be the last you make for your cat. That decision will result in a transference of pain and suffering. You will take away all the pain and suffering of your cat, and you will begin a process of pain and suffering yourself. That's the price for the look. When they look in your eyes with love, that terrible decision is the price. It's a moment that all cat owners dread, but a moment that comes to us all.
So should we feel bad when our cat passes on? Of course we should. We are losing someone we loved, and someone that loved us. The grief will be terrible, but it will be transient. It WILL pass. You will then be left with memories. Some of these memories will bring you tears. Some of these memories will make you laugh. But the pain and the suffering will fade.
So when the moment comes, you have to find a strength within yourself. You're about to do something incredible. You're about to give a display of love and devotion rarely equalled. You will be given a decision about whether to allow your pet to suffer and thus save your own pain, or whether to remove all pain and suffering from the cat, and take it on yourself. If the time is right, you will know, and you will make the right decision. And then you should be so proud of yourself. In the midst of your own grief, and suffering, you should take such strength from the knowledge that when the moment came, you decided to choose your cat's welfare in favour of your own. What greater love can any pet owner display?
So for those that think they have to make that decision soon, take strength. Know that your moment has come. The moment where you wrap up all the love and devotion you have for your cat into one incredible moment and do what's right. For those on the other side of that decision, then well done. I'm proud of you, and your cat would be proud of you, too. Your cat is forever pain-free. You are in pain, but I promise it will pass. Don't worry, some of us know how bad that pain is. You are not alone, and we know how much it hurts. It's terrible, but it will pass. Then you will have the memories, which you should treasure.
I like to think one day I will be re-united with my pets. There will be no crashing together as we run towards each other as in the rainbow bridge poem. There will be no kisses. We will simply give each other that look. The look that says "I love you, and now I know how much you love me"
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2016, 07:09 AM   #770
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

So sorry for your loss
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2016, 07:51 AM   #771
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll be sure to have a shot of tequila in honor of Tequila tonight. Sorry for your loss.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2016, 08:20 AM   #772
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry for your loss. =(
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2016, 08:50 AM   #773
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Beautiful words. So very sorry for your loss. My old girl and I used to have long slow-blinking 'conversations'. I miss those the most. Take care Cheese.
Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Suzles For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2016, 09:05 AM   #774
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Posting these lovely words again...we lost our lovely fur baby Tequila today. She was a great cat and a true companion to our daughter for most of her life. Sad day..............
I'm so sorry for your loss.
ben voyonsdonc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2016, 04:36 PM   #775
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My cat was just attacked by my neighbors cat. At the vet waiting for x-ray results...not looking good. She is 20 years old.😞
Old 06-19-2016, 05:27 PM   #776
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah no way. Not what anyone should have to deal with.

Sorry to hear.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:46 PM   #777
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the vet called back, and she was able to find a fair sized cut. Whenever Hobie meowed her whole side would puff up with air, so the vet thought it was a hernia and possibly broken ribs. Now with finding this cut she thinks if she closes it up air won't enter. So looking better than the first prognosis. I will know more in an hour or 2 but might not know how she handles it until morning.

So tough with an old cat on what decisions to make. I don't want her to suffer, but I don't want to over-react and have to put her down when it is something she could recover from. My stomach is in knots.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:46 PM   #778
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

So sorry Fuzz. That's awful.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:09 PM   #779
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, she was just sitting on her chaise lounge chair right against our house enjoying the sun warming her, like she does most days. She never leaves the yard, and rarely gets more than 20 feet from the house. My wife heard some howls and ran out to see our neighbours cat taking off.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:39 PM   #780
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went to see her. She has a very large gash that the vet doesn't want to sew up until she is stabilized. So tomorrow morning. I'm hoping it goes well for her, but the vet keeps bringing up that she is old, and she saw some fuzzy area on the x-ray that could be cancer. But seeing her, I know she is strong enough to get through the surgery and I'm not sure if the vet is fishing for reasons to not do it? I just can't see putting her down for a cut on her side. We will see what the surgeon says tomorrow.

She was eating when I was there, but I can't...