Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 01:19 PM   #3581
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Duhatchek on the FAN talking about a Hanifin+ swap for OEL. Basically talking about what he wrote about on the Athletic. Mentions Markstrom and the Swedish Mafia Calgary is building. Doesn’t sound like it is a rumor more of a conclusion Duha has hypothesized based on the Treliving/Maloney relationship with the player and addition of Markstrom.

Hanifin+Ryan is pretty much a cap wash. Would be a risky gamble for the Flames.

I really want OEL traded to some team. That way I don’t have to think about Calgary trading for him. These rumours/suggestions on OEL, scare the crap out of me
Old 10-20-2020, 01:19 PM   #3582
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still seems to me that OEL is getting under rated as a player due to his contract. IMO he would be a pretty large upgrade on Hanifin.

But yeah, for sure the cap would be a concern going forward.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 01:23 PM   #3583
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eklund giving an e4 for Hoffman to Canucks. That means Hoffman will be a flame by the end of the week
Old 10-20-2020, 01:25 PM   #3584
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Do the Canucks have ~6MM to offer Hoffman?
Old 10-20-2020, 01:27 PM   #3585
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Do the Canucks have ~6MM to offer Hoffman?
They don't. Not sure who they're going to move out either... No one wants Sutter or Eriksson. Pearson or Boeser on the move?
Old 10-20-2020, 01:28 PM   #3586
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
They don't. Not sure who they're going to move out either... No one wants Sutter or Eriksson. Pearson or Boeser on the move?
I've heard they've been wanting to move Boeser. Would he fit with the Flames? Other than being a shooter and rhs, does he do anything else? Some nuck fans think he is a block head and a one trick pony.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:29 PM   #3587
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
My point exactly. Theres no way around building a successful deal that the yotes would entertain and fhe Flames still being able to do things. Its not even this season but down the road at seasons 5 and 6, hell years 2,3 and 4 as well would obliterate cap structure.
All depends on what OEL is, a cap dump like fans think or a #1D with some decent trade value. Duha mentioned that OEL makes 3.3 more than Hanifin so you just need to find that money.

If OEL has no trade value and is a cap dump then maybe Flames get him at slightly reduced salary for a draft pick/Ryan combo?

If he has value, then I dont really know what Ari would be looking for. Nothing major going the other way obviously.

Then Tre could trade Hanifin for a top 6 RW.
Replace Ryan with a much cheaper player.

Dollars would still work.

And the Flames need a #1D replacement for Gio. He won't play forever. OEL may not be on everyones wish list, but #1 D dont go to market often. Would be a waste to have a great goalie but lack a #1 D.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:33 PM   #3588
rogermexico
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I love Duhatschek. He is a treasure and we are lucky to have him.
With that said, sometimes he likes to do "just imagine if" style thinking-out-loud pieces as a way to explore ideas. They aren't always the best ideas. I think that this is that.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:34 PM   #3589
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Friedman does the same thing I find under the guise of "wouldn't it be interesting if... "

They're usually odd scenarios that don't really make much sense.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 01:36 PM   #3590
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Ah Eklund. I did some quick math a while back on the number of trade scenarios he puts out per year and it was staggering. You'd think with that many connections (sarcasm) he'd hit on more of these.

Someone likened him to reading the Enquirer or just something you browse for fun. I get it. But if you actually follow that guy for legit news? Give your head a shake.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:38 PM   #3591
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermexico View Post
I love Duhatschek. He is a treasure and we are lucky to have him.
With that said, sometimes he likes to do "just imagine if" style thinking-out-loud pieces as a way to explore ideas. They aren't always the best ideas. I think that this is that.
He said that the Athletic asked them to put themselves in GM chairs and come up with a reasonable action plans and write them up. Thats what he came up with. Treliving is familiar with OEL cause he drafted him. OEL was willing to go to Van because of Markstrom. Since he is here now he feels that OEL would follow him.

It's a workable scenario as it helps both teams and the player.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 01:41 PM   #3592
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem isn't that they think these things up to fill the media when not much else is going on to talk about, that's fair enough. But just because it's Friedman and Duha, people eat it up and take it as actual rumours
Old 10-20-2020, 02:32 PM   #3593
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
On that front...
https://twitter.com/user/status/1317960742730047488

Looks like it's back, or this tweet was just a prank. I'm sure an Oiler fan or 2 crapped their pants.
He was probably trying to remove the C O V I D from his name now that he's cured.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:54 PM   #3594
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do t even think we could afford Hanifin+Ryan without another move, because Ryan’s replacement would cost at least 700k.

OEL has full NTC. Seems unlikely Calgary is the next spot on his list after BOS and VAN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2020, 04:24 PM   #3595
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
It's pretty odd that Duha keeps going on about this.
Duhatschek was one of my favourite writers for a long, long time and I normally agree with his views but this take is a very odd one.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:14 PM   #3596
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Leslie and Francis have a video up on SN talking about Gaudreau and Ritter and if they're destined to leave CGY....

So I. Assuming now that their podcast opinion is now national news.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:17 PM   #3597
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I do t even think we could afford Hanifin+Ryan without another move, because Ryan’s replacement would cost at least 700k.

OEL has full NTC. Seems unlikely Calgary is the next spot on his list after BOS and VAN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He wanted to go to Vancouver because of Markstrom. Thus, the thinking is that he would go to Calgary cause Markstrom came here.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:17 PM   #3598
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
So Leslie and Francis have a video up on SN talking about Gaudreau and Ritter and if they're destined to leave CGY....

So I. Assuming now that their podcast opinion is now national news.
Leslie has his nose so far up Francis's ass it isn't funny. Does he ever have a thought of his own?
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 06:34 PM   #3599
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
He wanted to go to Vancouver because of Markstrom. Thus, the thinking is that he would go to Calgary cause Markstrom came here.

What?

That's not true at all.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 10-20-2020, 06:35 PM   #3600
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Leslie has his nose so far up Francis's ass it isn't funny. Does he ever have a thought of his own?
I think Leslie (much like Loubo)...is just a sincerely kind person. Does that make him an impartial grind to the truth reporter...absolutely not. Is he the kind of person that can help players with their media image and build their trademark...something that could be a draw for players to come here and overall builds good team culture all the way to the front office...absolutely!

I think you need a couple or Ryan Leslie's in a team...but you also need some grind to the truth guys. Calgary in general has a very young crop of reporters after losing a lot of top end people. There is some good intent, but a lot of growing left to do. However I do appreciate that there is a very broad spectrum of feedback from Pinder, Francis etc on one end...guys like Steinberg in the middle and then Leslie & Loubo on the positive end.