Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 10:19 AM   #2521
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

No interest in Gallagher right now.

At the deadline? For a 2nd and a 3rd or something? sure, that'd be an awesome rental.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 10:20 AM   #2522
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Mangiapane is one of the few guys on the roster that could outperform his contract. I'm not too keen on trading him.
If we think this, then we don't need to upgrade our top 6 as there's no room.

Gaudreau-Tkachuk-Lindholm-Mangiapane all need top 6 minutes to produce. Monahan-Backlund as the two centres.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:25 AM   #2523
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
No interest in Gallagher right now.

At the deadline? For a 2nd and a 3rd or something? sure, that'd be an awesome rental.
I’m now fully opposed to these types of trades. No more sending picks out for players who are pending UFAs/near 30 years old. You really want that player? Take the swing during free agency or make a “hockey trade”.

Picks should be used to select players at the draft, or in trades to acquire RFAs like how Colorado just shipped out two 2nd round picks for Devon Toews.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:26 AM   #2524
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gallagher's game won't age well and he's been injured a lot. Great player though.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:28 AM   #2525
jesters91
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I like Gallagher a lot! I don't like what his next contract demand is going to be.

I understand Hanifin is an attractive piece to upgrade the teams top 6 but you'd be seriously depleting (downgrading) Calgary's top 4 talent. The caveat is whether Valimaki stays healthy for a full season and proves he can slot into top 4. That's when you consider trading Hanifin.

Trading Hanifin for Gallagher is a big time pass in my books.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:29 AM   #2526
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I’m now fully opposed to these types of trades. No more sending picks out for players who are pending UFAs/near 30 years old. You really want that player? Take the swing during free agency or make a “hockey trade”.

Picks should be used to select players at the draft, or in trades to acquire RFAs like how Colorado just shipped out two 2nd round picks for Devon Toews.
I do think it's questionable if Calgary should be deadline buyers, given the mediocrity of our roster. But if you're a good team, you do want some deadline buys. The Lightning added Blake Coleman and Barclay Goodrow at the deadline and I feel like those players were solid contributors on their run.

The reality of the NHL is that there isn't enough cap space to have a stacked roster during the regular season. Those deadline deals can push you over the top because there's no salary cap in the playoffs.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 10-13-2020, 10:32 AM   #2527
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
If we think this, then we don't need to upgrade our top 6 as there's no room.

Gaudreau-Tkachuk-Lindholm-Mangiapane all need top 6 minutes to produce. Monahan-Backlund as the two centres.
Can any of the other players not be traded? And I'm not convinced Mangiapane has to play on the second line.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:37 AM   #2528
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they keep Monahan and Gaudreau I hope they separate them for the first 10 games and stick with it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 10:59 AM   #2529
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
This makes sense. Except I suppose Flames and Kulak likes want little to do with each other.

Those are 3 strong forward lines. And a 4th line that needs some help.
I would guess that, if there was ever a trade for Kulak, Treliving probably tells him he underestimated his value. I don't think Treliving has a huge ego that way. And it did end up putting Kulak in a good position. I've seen players come back to teams that arguably mistreated them before.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:01 AM   #2530
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was all for signing a big time UFA and shedding cap and picks to get the best roster possible. We missed out on those players so the plan should change IMO. I like what the Flames have done so far. IMO Tanev is a slight upgrade on Brodie and Markstrom is an upgrade in net. That being said I don't think the changes will move the needle enough to win this year. Treliving should not be trading picks for anyone who is not a long term asset and really should look at growth from within and not trade any picks period. He should focus on long term success. Look at maybe the season after next year being the best chance to win and hope this year he gets serious growth from within that maybe allows this team to at least get out of the first round for once.

Mangipane - wrap him up for 5+ years around 3 to 3.5 mil. He should get good minutes this year to succeed so lets get him signed on what could be a huge steal of a deal.

Leave Bennett - Dube - Lucic together. Lets give Bennett and Dube a chance to succeed early next year and maybe the push their way up the line up.

Leave Rasmus and Hanifin together. Give them a chance to play into a decent #1 pairing. Tanev and Gio can start there but give the young guys 22 mins a night and see how they respond.

Valimaki - give him the same role as Rasmus had the last few year. Get him in there every night. See how he responds.

4th line - needs to see some young AHLers with Ryan on the 4th line. Take advantage of the vet Ryan presence on that line to be reliable player with guys like Ruzicka or Gawdin or Phillips or Robinson.

I want to see what we have in some of these guys. The best bet to becoming a contender now is to see how good these guys are. If they don't respond and we don't get a boost from the AHL then we miss the playoffs and get a lottery pick and maybe sell at the deadline. If they respond well maybe we still lose in the first round but we make the playoffs with a younger team that has more promise moving forward.

It also lets us know who can replace Gio, Ryan and Backlund after their contracts are up.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:05 AM   #2531
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could see Vancouver acquiring Gallagher since they missed out on Toffoli.

Something around Virtanen +

Clear some cap by buying out Eriksson or Sutter maybe?
Old 10-13-2020, 11:10 AM   #2532
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
If they keep Monahan and Gaudreau I hope they separate them for the first 10 games and stick with it.
Who do you play Johnny with if not Monahan? Monahan is our best offensive centre, there is no disputing this. You can't really play him with Backlund because then we lose our matchup line (johnny doesnt play that end well enough) and we might mute his offensive contributions. Can't play him on a "3rd" line without really stiffling his minutes (or unduly increasing Bennett's minutes way beyond where they should be.)

We always tip toe around it because he's a very good and useful player, and useful, but Backlund IMO is the biggest impediment to top 6 "improvement." He's too expensive to be our third line centre but not offensive line driving enough to put pure offensive catalysts on his line and expect eye popping numbers.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:12 AM   #2533
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd consider Mangiapane for Gallagher, if we could get Gallagher to a 3 or 4 year deal
Old 10-13-2020, 11:13 AM   #2534
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I'd consider Mangiapane for Gallagher, if we could get Gallagher to a 3 or 4 year deal
Seems unlikely. I imagine Gallagher is looking for a 6-8 year deal at $5.5M.

To off-set the age/contract value, I like this:

To MTL: Noah Hanifin, Derek Ryan
To CGY: Brendan Gallagher, Phillip Danault

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Gallagher
Lucic - Bennett - Dube
Mangiapane - Danault - Gawdin
Robinson

Giordano - Tanev
Valimaki - Andersson
Mackey - Kylington
Connauton

Markstrom
Rittich

Last edited by ComixZone; 10-13-2020 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:14 AM   #2535
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

5 x 5 it is then :P
Old 10-13-2020, 11:14 AM   #2536
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We always tip toe around it because he's a very good and useful player, and useful, but Backlund IMO is the biggest impediment to top 6 "improvement."
Backlund might have been our best player last year after his rocky start.

He's a top two line centre on almost every team in the league. The few teams where he wouldn't be are the ones with two franchise centers, and even if you look at a team like Toronto, they were at their best when they had Kadri to take the load off Tavares/Matthews, and likewise Pittsburgh when they had Staal or Cullen to take the load off Crosby/Malkin.

He's ridiculously underrated because he doesn't put up fancy first unit PP numbers. A unit he isn't utilized on, of course.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 11:15 AM   #2537
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Who do you play Johnny with if not Monahan?
I'd try Gaudreau - Lindholm - ?
Tkachuk- Monahan- ?

The Flames really need a top 6 RW.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:15 AM   #2538
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be pretty surprised if all Gallagher was asking for was an AAV of $5.5 million.

He was on pace for his 3rd straight 30 goal season.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:20 AM   #2539
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I'd be pretty surprised if all Gallagher was asking for was an AAV of $5.5 million.

He was on pace for his 3rd straight 30 goal season.
According to Friedman, the forward market has "cratered".

Gallagher wouldn't get that if he was UFA right now.

That's probably why they can't come to an agreement. Gallagher is looking at pre-Covid comparables and the Habs are looking at Covid deals.

Doubt Gallagher signs a long term extension with anyone this year. He will play his year out and hope the market improves.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:21 AM   #2540
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Moving Hanifin worries me. Our D-core is already very slim when it comes to experienced vets. Yes, both Valimaki and Mackey probably make the team, and potentially do well, but that is still a huge ask. They will be required to step in, even with Hanifin staying.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread