Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2023, 04:33 PM   #1061
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Ever started a job and had the feeling your new supervisor wasn’t ever in agreement with your hiring and so basically ensured things didn’t work out but their leadership dont see that and now that bus you’ve been thrown under keeps backing over you?
Dagnabbit.
Yeah so I left that role as it was probably going to end poorly and fortunately landed a new role right away. Am blessed to have something come along quickly and seems to be a good team. Sometimes life seems to flow against you and it’s a Buckin’ bronco ride and other times the flow is smooth and easier.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2023, 07:08 PM   #1062
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the kind words. I have a trip to Nova Scotia flying out Sunday which should help. The layoff just took me completely by surprise so it's hard to take early on.

Today was a better day. Was excited for a couple hours at the potential for a fresh start. Didn't struggle to eat a meal for the first time in a few days. Still a lot of sadness but getting better.

Last edited by shermanator; 07-07-2023 at 08:46 PM.
shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2023, 11:53 AM   #1063
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Thanks for the kind words. I have a trip to Nova Scotia flying out Sunday which should help. The layoff just took me completely by surprise so it's hard to take early on.

Today was a better day. Was excited for a couple hours at the potential for a fresh start. Didn't struggle to eat a meal for the first time in a few days. Still a lot of sadness but getting better.
Hopefully, the severance offer is decent.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 03:28 PM   #1064
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, I cant comment too much as a self-employed person, but its the shock and surprise that really knock you off kilter for a while.

The suggestion to just take some personal time is a good one. Sometimes we self-identify with our work and our jobs to a point where we can become so immersed in it and forget ourselves a little bit.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2023, 03:55 PM   #1065
d00little
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Well, had a 14.5 year employment run come to an end yesterday. Don't really know who to tell and don't really want to broadcast it to the world so anonymous posters on CP it is. Financially I'll be fine. Mentally I'm absolutely gutted right now. I'm alternating between telling myself everything will be okay and bawling because of the rejection.

The worst part is it's in an industry (tech) and role (product management) where the job market is very rough right now. The last time I was laid off I was back in 6 weeks but this time I would be shocked if I'm back that quick.
Curious how you got into PM? Were you formerly technical or did you come from another industry? I have an engineering (computer/software) background and currently do PjM. I turned down 2 PM offers last year, but now looking to enter into pure product, but it seems harder to get a role than a year ago.
d00little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 08:01 PM   #1066
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d00little View Post
Curious how you got into PM? Were you formerly technical or did you come from another industry? I have an engineering (computer/software) background and currently do PjM. I turned down 2 PM offers last year, but now looking to enter into pure product, but it seems harder to get a role than a year ago.
My degree is in Computer Science but I was never able to get a Dev job so went into support instead. From there moved to business analysis. Our company shifted to Scaled Agile and that gave me an opportunity to become a Product Owner and later Product Manager.

Old 07-08-2023, 08:25 PM   #1067
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:

If you're in my neck of the woods let me know. This is an awesome place, need any recommendations I'm more than happy to help

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2023, 03:58 PM   #1068
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, while on vacation a company reached out to schedule a first interview for when I get back. It's early days, but something like that does wonders for the mental state.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2023, 03:35 PM   #1069
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone have any recommendations for reviewing / update a resume and cover letter? Mine are vintage mid 2000s so they could use a refresh.

Old 07-19-2023, 05:10 PM   #1070
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for reviewing / update a resume and cover letter? Mine are vintage mid 2000s so they could use a refresh.
Start with Chat GPT maybe?
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 08:54 AM   #1071
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I think ktrain used to do that for a living.

I got laid off during the pandemic along with 85% of the rest of the company by email on my birthday. The day before they sent an email saying you will get a new email the next day indicating whether you are severed or not. The absolute turnip HR lady sent that email not blind CC and the company list was sorted according to who was staying A to Z then who was going A to Z so everyone put two and two together and you knew if you were getting the hatchet the next day.

It sucked moreso because oil went to negative $30 so the job market was non-existent for a few months. No possible way to enjoy the time off because you felt compelled to sit at your computer and browse job websites and stare at your resume for hours/days nitpicking crap that doesn't matter. You feel pathetic phoning old contacts for "coffee".

That's an awesome sign, its a pretty good economy now so you should be pretty damn good. Enjoy the time off (which I know you won't, I could have been in Hawaii and I'd be miserable).

I could send you mine. Its got a really good format. Also apparently the two page maximum is not really a thing if you have many years experience, you can go to three multiple HR folks have told me.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 08:58 AM   #1072
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Be really careful with using ChatGPT, most HR people are getting used to it and might look at it as slightly lazy.

Use ChatGPT to help with the basics, but you want to make sure that your resume reflects you.

I use Resume Now, its relatively inexpensive and helps with good formats, and allows you to build a resume nicely, but then edit it.

I know I'm not around this thread or CalgaryPuck alot anymore. But I'm still here if anyone does need resume help or review or cover letter review.

On a personal note, one of my contracts ended abruptly due to the company going into financial dire straits and its easier to get rid of contractors. The other contract has scaled back a bit as its a bit more piece meal.

I've been doing the usual application and playing with my resume and cover letter style. I'm in the final stages of a new position with a new organization (Really big global company that scares me a bit). But they're considering me for two roles, one in management to fill in for a employee on 18 months leave. The other more full time admin/project management. So I feel good about my chances heading into the final interview on Monday.

But I'm here to help for those that need it. I have over 8 years of recruiting in a lot of different fields, plus my job searches have always been good.

I don't charge for this, I have no expectations, I do this to support this community that I've been part of for a long time, and I hate to see people struggling because of a lack of fundamentals.

Just in terms of my latest search, what I've noticed is every role is getting flooded with applicants very quickly, like within hours, so if your resume doesn't stand out against 100 or 200 applicants you're spinning in the sand.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2023, 05:15 PM   #1073
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

15 days later and the ups and downs mentally are wild. It hasn't been that long but I want off this ride.

Old 07-20-2023, 08:21 PM   #1074
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Enjoy the time off (which I know you won't, I could have been in Hawaii and I'd be miserable).
I got laid off while I was on vacation in Hawaii. Made the remainder of the trip not the best trip ever.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 09:12 PM   #1075
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I got laid off while I was on vacation in Hawaii. Made the remainder of the trip not the best trip ever.
Oh EFFIT!!
Dang that’s cold. And unprofessional. But cold.
Was it a surprise at all or were you already thinking ahead to something else?
Old 07-20-2023, 09:16 PM   #1076
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Be really careful with using ChatGPT, most HR people are getting used to it and might look at it as slightly lazy.

Use ChatGPT to help with the basics, but you want to make sure that your resume reflects you.

I use Resume Now, its relatively inexpensive and helps with good formats, and allows you to build a resume nicely, but then edit it.

I know I'm not around this thread or CalgaryPuck alot anymore. But I'm still here if anyone does need resume help or review or cover letter review.

On a personal note, one of my contracts ended abruptly due to the company going into financial dire straits and its easier to get rid of contractors. The other contract has scaled back a bit as its a bit more piece meal.

I've been doing the usual application and playing with my resume and cover letter style. I'm in the final stages of a new position with a new organization (Really big global company that scares me a bit). But they're considering me for two roles, one in management to fill in for a employee on 18 months leave. The other more full time admin/project management. So I feel good about my chances heading into the final interview on Monday.

But I'm here to help for those that need it. I have over 8 years of recruiting in a lot of different fields, plus my job searches have always been good.

I don't charge for this, I have no expectations, I do this to support this community that I've been part of for a long time, and I hate to see people struggling because of a lack of fundamentals.

Just in terms of my latest search, what I've noticed is every role is getting flooded with applicants very quickly, like within hours, so if your resume doesn't stand out against 100 or 200 applicants you're spinning in the sand.
Very kind of you indeed.
I’d like to add that some role postings may close early due to high volume of applicants so don’t wait too long either.
Definitely have a LinkedIn account that has some personality and flavor and is NOT copy paste from your resume.

Depending on your industry but definitely more headhunters and placement people out there now than even 6mo ago and they’re not afraid to cold call you and run with things . That’s how I landed my current role.
Old 07-31-2023, 09:14 AM   #1077
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Ever started a job and had the feeling your new supervisor wasn’t ever in agreement with your hiring and so basically ensured things didn’t work out but their leadership dont see that and now that bus you’ve been thrown under keeps backing over you?
Dagnabbit.
Yes this happened to me with my last job. The Regional manager who hired me and created the position was fired the day before I started. So behind the 8 ball from day one, regretted leaving my old job to take this role about 4 hours into my first day, a lot of what I was told by the hiring manager was certainly not the case. Lasted two years and they eliminated the position, got let go about a month ago, was a relief for sure, could see it coming and was actively seeking new employment.

I also find it a bit odd how long the hiring/ interview process can be for some companies. Went a bit old school on several postings and went in person to introduce myself, drop off a resume, set up an interview which helped land me my new role.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 07-31-2023 at 09:24 AM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek Sutton For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2023, 09:35 AM   #1078
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Well, while on vacation a company reached out to schedule a first interview for when I get back. It's early days, but something like that does wonders for the mental state.
I hope the search is going well for you Shermanator, I found it quite frustrating how long the interview process and decision making can be from some companies. Also don't feel bad about reaching out to them about about where you stand, I would just email along the lines of ..."have you made a decision on the position or what are the next steps?" I got a response every time with that line from "we have selected another candidate" to "We will get back to you on XX date with details on the next round of interviews" and "you will be receiving an offer by end of day tomorrow." The waiting and anticipation is not good for ones mental health.
Old 07-31-2023, 09:35 AM   #1079
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
I also find it a bit odd how long the hiring/ interview process can be for some companies.
So true. I'm hiring someone for a sales territory based in Edmonton. Our corporate HR lady is slooooow to respond to the candidates and their questions. We've had one good candidate say "#### it" and take another job offer. Now we are in the middle of another search that has taken weeks already and I'm worried that we'll lose another great candidate because of how long it takes.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 10:41 AM   #1080
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Trust me, the slow pace of the hiring company is a big frustration for recruiters as well. We work like crazy to find people and screen them and submit them. Then the company either goes quiet, or takes forever to schedule an interview. By the time they get around to it, I'm telling them that the really good, possibly high impact candidates are gone.

Even in my own search, its frustrating. I went through 4 really good interviews in the last two weeks with one company. Got done the final interview, and then the next day they said they had some internal candidates pop up and they are obligated to interview them. Fine I get that, but before you go out on the streets to find candidates, look at your internal pool first.

But I went from feeling good about both of the jobs that they interviewed me for, to. Well they've now wasted about 5 or 6 hours of my time over two weeks and chances are I'll have to wait a couple of more weeks for the internal interviews to happen.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote