Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2021, 08:19 AM   #801
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is PMP becoming the new MBA ??

Most young engineers I meet get their P.Eng and then head towards a PMP designation of full blown MBA.

Does it help in job searches ?
Old 06-01-2021, 09:23 AM   #802
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It does, because I have my course completion on my linkedin I get a lot of hits, I haven't taken the exams an probably won't because honestly it was something to do to keep me from going insane when I was unemployed.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 12:51 PM   #803
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
Is PMP becoming the new MBA ??

Most young engineers I meet get their P.Eng and then head towards a PMP designation of full blown MBA.

Does it help in job searches ?
Almost every job posting I’m looking at has it at a “nice to have” or more.
Old 06-01-2021, 07:53 PM   #804
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is it worth taking the PMP test? how much does that cost?
whats the yearly membership (or other) fee to continue to be able to claim PMP certified?
Or is it enough to study and do everything EXCEPT take the final test?
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:07 PM   #805
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a bit of a negative view of the project management institute. Whoever started PMI is brilliant though. Come up with a certification, market the crap out of it to become the be all and end all, make people take additional courses or attend conferences you put on to collect precious PDUs that you need to keep an active certificate, and profit. There was a joke going around years ago that PMI stood for Put Money In. I think it was their previous version but when it first came out not enough people were passing and they lowered the mark.

My issue with it is I’ve seen far too many people who have it but have no experience. They want you to have thousands of hours but what you can use seems fairly loose. I knew people fresh out of university who somehow got it. That seems wrong to me. Years ago everyone and their dog seemed to be a MCSE - Microsoft certified solution “engineer”. People were attending boot camps where they ran you through exactly what you needed to know for each exam and then you wrote it that day or the following. The term was paper MCSE as really didn’t know anything. I’ve seen similar programs for PMP.

I think certifications or field specific education is useful, but there are others and one specific certification shouldn’t be the only thing employers look for. Some education in the field augmented with experience should have at least equal if not more weigh.

/rant

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2021, 08:16 PM   #806
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Is it worth taking the PMP test? how much does that cost?
whats the yearly membership (or other) fee to continue to be able to claim PMP certified?
Or is it enough to study and do everything EXCEPT take the final test?
To use/claim the PMP designation you must pass the exam. All in USD
$130 membership
$450 for the exam, more of you aren’t a member
60 PDUs over 3 years. You get PDUs for things like attending courses, conferences, etc. There is a big list.

The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2021, 12:47 PM   #807
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
I have a bit of a negative view of the project management institute. Whoever started PMI is brilliant though. Come up with a certification, market the crap out of it to become the be all and end all, make people take additional courses or attend conferences you put on to collect precious PDUs that you need to keep an active certificate, and profit. There was a joke going around years ago that PMI stood for Put Money In. I think it was their previous version but when it first came out not enough people were passing and they lowered the mark.

My issue with it is I’ve seen far too many people who have it but have no experience. They want you to have thousands of hours but what you can use seems fairly loose. I knew people fresh out of university who somehow got it. That seems wrong to me. Years ago everyone and their dog seemed to be a MCSE - Microsoft certified solution “engineer”. People were attending boot camps where they ran you through exactly what you needed to know for each exam and then you wrote it that day or the following. The term was paper MCSE as really didn’t know anything. I’ve seen similar programs for PMP.

I think certifications or field specific education is useful, but there are others and one specific certification shouldn’t be the only thing employers look for. Some education in the field augmented with experience should have at least equal if not more weigh.

/rant
I do feel a bit like this too. But I paid money, might as well get the certification.

They released a free practice exam back around the new year, I went though about half of it, and it seriously soured my view of the whole organization, and certification.

I would like to get the Canadian construction association GSC (gold Seal certified) designation yet, I think that would be more helpful, but I’m not sure if the industry sees it as more helpful than the PMP.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:41 AM   #808
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t see any harm in getting your PMP, I just don’t think it should be the bar they everyone must get, especially in the software industry where I am (though their content has been more inclusive over the years). Construction, where the roots of the certification are, I can buy and I can see it being valuable to someone new to the industry. Good luck on the test!

Old 06-04-2021, 11:40 AM   #809
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So where do all the cool Software Developers go to search for new jobs or upload their resumes these days? I think I've finally snapped and need something new.
Kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 11:44 AM   #810
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

If there are any pipeline welding or coating inspectors or field QA folks that post to CP feel free to fire me a PM. I have some work coming up this winter and I am looking for people. I am hoping to avoid needing to go to LinkedIn or Indeed through our HR.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2021, 02:37 PM   #811
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerplunk View Post
So where do all the cool Software Developers go to search for new jobs or upload their resumes these days? I think I've finally snapped and need something new.

I have a link above with full stack developers and system engineers for one of my contracts.

We're also looking for developers preferably full stack for project work with React0r on some interesting things. Absolutely feel free to DM me if you want to side bar.

I can also give you some other guidance on Job exploration as well.

Old 06-04-2021, 03:50 PM   #812
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerplunk View Post
A lot of tech companies in the States are hiring Canadians now....maybe start there. When I found my job, I was searching on glassdoor for jobs located in SF, Seattle and Austin.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:13 PM   #813
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm living this situation:
https://www.wayup.com/guide/tell-emp...ng-job-offers/
except the 2nd folks haven't actually offered me the role yet (I'm cautiously optimistic), but the first folks want a decision ASAP and don't want to wait more than a day before starting reference checks on their #2 candidate, BUT the first folks are my preference (even if they'll likely pay ~10% less... it's a stress / personality thing). It's a very delicate and awkward situation, and not purely about the $$$.
Well this all went south.
First folks said I could have a couple days to evaluate their offer and then promptly gave the job to someone else.
2nd job... just got the email PFO.

Back to square one.

That's 0/3 after getting to 2nd interview stage. sigh...

Old 06-04-2021, 09:01 PM   #814
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

That sucks, you aren’t alone, I’ve had a few 2nd (or 4th) interviews end in nothing. I guess maybe in hindsight had you accepted right away then you would have had a day or so before they got you the written offer. Bird in a hand and 10z less is better than 100% less right now.

I had a similar rollercoaster ride recently. Recruiter contacted me about a FT role, he did the prequalification, I gave him my salary range, he submitted me. Interviews went well, but the offer came in really low and the benefits not the best. I countered to try and bump up thinks like time off and they came back with another offer which I accepted via the recruiter, pending review of final paperwork. I was to get the written offer in a couple of days, which turned into a week of ghosting and after finally getting in touch with the recruiter again he tells me he’s gone back and forth with the company and they (sounded like mostly the CEO) decided to go back to market.

I more just shook my head than got mad. There were a couple of red flags during the interview process, plus our salary ranges were out of whack which had me questioning how long I’d last. The cherry on top was them sending the offer then pulling it back from me. I have no interest in working for a company that doesn’t follow through on commitments.

On to the next. The market seems a little warmer right now, hopefully something pops for all of us.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:02 PM   #815
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

These things are more common then they used to be, mainly because its a buyers market right now. Unemployment rates still aren't that good, and Companies aren't aggressively expanding.

I have a simple rule with my client, the rate is the rate. So if you give me a rate and then try to chip below that on a good candidate, I'll take that as an insult. The other rule is don't dick around on offers and effort. Because frankly if I have a good candidate and you're dicking around on the offer or delaying, I'm going to try to get that candidate other opportunities. You can't put a candidate on the bench with me. Since we don't get paid til you as Mr Employer hires him, I'm not exclusive, I have to eat.

I try to get every good candidates other opportunities if I have them.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2021, 10:50 AM   #816
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
These things are more common then they used to be, mainly because its a buyers market right now. Unemployment rates still aren't that good, and Companies aren't aggressively expanding.

I have a simple rule with my client, the rate is the rate. So if you give me a rate and then try to chip below that on a good candidate, I'll take that as an insult. The other rule is don't dick around on offers and effort. Because frankly if I have a good candidate and you're dicking around on the offer or delaying, I'm going to try to get that candidate other opportunities. You can't put a candidate on the bench with me. Since we don't get paid til you as Mr Employer hires him, I'm not exclusive, I have to eat.

I try to get every good candidates other opportunities if I have them.
Wait are you are head hunter?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 10:44 PM   #817
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

OK this may seem like a dumb question... and for some it may be. I *know* there aren't a lot of technical / "professional" / project manager type jobs out there (O&G industry), yet at the same time I can't help but feel I'm somehow missing out on accessing either the public or hidden job markets. I'm actively checking out LinkedIn, Indeed, and Glassdoor, plus about 40-50 actual company website career sections regularly. Will be stepping up my networking as well - and that includes emails, texts, and targeting actual conversations with people (video or phone) until in-person is possible. What might I be missing?
Old 06-05-2021, 10:58 PM   #818
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Wait are you are head hunter?

One of my contracts, yeah I do head hunting and recruiting. My other contract is working with startups on their technical product development and connecting them with resources (funding, market research, research, planning and building)

I keep busy.

Currently on the head hunting side, its some pretty high end software development positions, and also psychologists and Social Workers. I just finished work on finding Covid Case Workers for Alberta. (but that one is done).

Old 06-05-2021, 11:02 PM   #819
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
OK this may seem like a dumb question... and for some it may be. I *know* there aren't a lot of technical / "professional" / project manager type jobs out there (O&G industry), yet at the same time I can't help but feel I'm somehow missing out on accessing either the public or hidden job markets. I'm actively checking out LinkedIn, Indeed, and Glassdoor, plus about 40-50 actual company website career sections regularly. Will be stepping up my networking as well - and that includes emails, texts, and targeting actual conversations with people (video or phone) until in-person is possible. What might I be missing?

Go to the meetup Calgary sites, and look for networking groups that = your professions and join up and attend the networking groups even the virtual ones have value.

While Linkedin, indeed and Glass door are ok, look for specialized job boards if there are ones for your profession. If you want to work with startups Angel list. Also connect with your university alumni group. Joining Linkedin groups is good as well.

Target the top companies that your interested in working with do a little due diligence, and if they have a HR department, just write a intro email tell them how interesting their story is and you'd love to work with them. That worked for me on a few prior websites.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2021, 11:47 PM   #820
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I have a link above with full stack developers and system engineers for one of my contracts.

We're also looking for developers preferably full stack for project work with React0r on some interesting things. Absolutely feel free to DM me if you want to side bar.

I can also give you some other guidance on Job exploration as well.
Thanks Cap, I'll take a look at those if they are still open. Might contact the React0r guy again as well and see if anything new has come down the pipe since we talked last year. Time to start rejigging my shambled mess of a resume.
Kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote