Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2021, 07:29 PM   #661
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
^they have take home assignments as part of interviews now? That seems like overkill and disrespectful of the applicant’s time.

Keep your chin up. At my last unsuccessful interview I was given the impression I was the 2nd choice but a couple weeks later saw the job add open again. Turns out they had landed on one ideal candidate who later turned down their offer. Instead of coming back to me they decided to re-open the search to find someone similarly ideal. Not sure when they filled the roll but it worked out for me when I found a better job a few months later.

Homework assignments are becoming a big thing, companies want to see your communication skills, and planning skills. I did one where I had to basically come up with a plan for gaining new markets and where. I did a ton of market research, and built a solid plan including things like webinar topics, and I didn't get the job, but they sure used the stuff that I gave them. I was insulted by that.

But in one role that I'm recruiting for there's a home work assignment.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:12 PM   #662
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Homework assignments are becoming a big thing, companies want to see your communication skills, and planning skills. I did one where I had to basically come up with a plan for gaining new markets and where. I did a ton of market research, and built a solid plan including things like webinar topics, and I didn't get the job, but they sure used the stuff that I gave them. I was insulted by that.

You should have sent them a bill for your work.

Or, better yet, hand the invoice over at the conclusion of the presentation.

Expecting job candidates and interviewees to act as volunteer consultants is ridiculous, and perhaps one way to stop that practice is by making it clear that payment is expected for services rendered.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HockeyIlliterate For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2021, 08:23 AM   #663
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post

Expecting job candidates and interviewees to act as volunteer consultants is ridiculous, and perhaps one way to stop that practice is by making it clear that payment is expected for services rendered.

Yeah that was my inexperience in that situation peeping through it was the first time I'd been asked for that, and I wanted to job because it was a good opportunity. When I was out of work last year, I had a sales manager interview me and he wanted me to do a 30 day action plan, talk about targeted companies etc. I basically stated that this is the kind of stuff that's done during onboarding, you either trust my experience and results or you don't in this process. Easier to say that tough if you can follow up with, I'm interviewing for x roles and have x offers coming in.

Old 02-12-2021, 09:28 AM   #664
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There is a lot of remote work out there if you're interested in permanently working from home.

Check out the tech jobs in Seattle, San Fran and Austin.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to username For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2021, 01:47 PM   #665
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
There is a lot of remote work out there if you're interested in permanently working from home.

Check out the tech jobs in Seattle, San Fran and Austin.
I actually have an initial interview scheduled for this Monday with a company based out of San Francisco that offers remote work. I assume that by remote work they mean anywhere within the United States.

I'm not sure how to pitch the idea of allowing them to hire a Canadian, as I don't know what implications this may have on them. Any idea what would be involved to hire me? Would it be a TN Visa and then me taking care of the tax aspect myself? Would I set up a US corporation?
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 02:44 PM   #666
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
I actually have an initial interview scheduled for this Monday with a company based out of San Francisco that offers remote work. I assume that by remote work they mean anywhere within the United States.

I'm not sure how to pitch the idea of allowing them to hire a Canadian, as I don't know what implications this may have on them. Any idea what would be involved to hire me? Would it be a TN Visa and then me taking care of the tax aspect myself? Would I set up a US corporation?
You only need a TN visa if you are physically entering the United States. If you are going to work from your home in Canada, you aren't crossing the border, and thus don't need a TN visa, passport, or pants. On a side note, you would only get a TN visa if you were a full/part time employee (not contractor or self employed) and the profession was part of NAFTA professionals. In theory if you set up a US corporation and hired yourself as a full time employee, your own corporation could give you the supporting documentation to get a TN visa. If a US company is not hiring you as an employee, then you wouldn't qualify to receive a TN visa.

If a company is hiring a contractor, not an employee, it usually doesn't matter where that person is located. It also doesn't matter if that person is self employed, is a shareholder of a corporation, or is an employee of a corporation, as long as the contract is agreed upon by two parties that are able to bind a contract. I have several clients in the States and I've only been to one location in the US for meetings. The rest of my work is done from home. As I am only selling services, and not physical goods or commodities, my services are billed to them as zero rated GST services. This means they aren't exempt from GST, but they are charged GST at a rate of 0%. The client is not billed for VATs they cannot claim and my corporation is inline with claiming all ITCs in order to produce those services. All my billings are done from my CCPC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2021, 03:13 PM   #667
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I had to do homework for a job i applied to a couple years ago - essentially had to draft a response to a demand letter. Big company in town. Im a lawyer by trade with the same specialties they were looking for. over 5 years experience. This wasnt even a law job, it was job they would like to have a lawyer in (and not pay law wages)

I couldnt believe i had to prove i knew how to draft a letter. I called my old firm, got them to send me a copy of a letter and copy and pasted it.

I ended up taking that job and left within 6 months. Absolutely no trust from management in even the most minor responsibilities. I shouldve known from the homework....
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 09:36 PM   #668
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post

I work for a company based out of the US and am 100% remote. The easiest way for them to get me started was to onboard me as a contractor through an IT staffing firm. The firm I go through has both a Canadian and US entity. I decided to go the T4 route as I didn’t want to bother with getting incorporated, finding an accountant for my taxes, etc. So I’m on their Canadian payroll, get paid in CAD, taxed, etc no different than any other Canadian employee. The company that I work for gets an invoice from their US entity in USD. Pretty easy and straight forward.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 09:57 PM   #669
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I had to do homework for a job i applied to a couple years ago - essentially had to draft a response to a demand letter. Big company in town. Im a lawyer by trade with the same specialties they were looking for. over 5 years experience. This wasnt even a law job, it was job they would like to have a lawyer in (and not pay law wages)

I couldnt believe i had to prove i knew how to draft a letter. I called my old firm, got them to send me a copy of a letter and copy and pasted it.

I ended up taking that job and left within 6 months. Absolutely no trust from management in even the most minor responsibilities. I shouldve known from the homework....
So, when they asked you to prove that you could draft a letter, you plagiarized a letter? You couldn’t believe they wanted you to prove it and you still didn’t show you could, I am not surprised they didn’t trust you. Unless I am missing something, I don’t see how the company looks bad here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 10:44 PM   #670
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
So, when they asked you to prove that you could draft a letter, you plagiarized a letter? You couldn’t believe they wanted you to prove it and you still didn’t show you could, I am not surprised they didn’t trust you. Unless I am missing something, I don’t see how the company looks bad here.
I kind of read that as they asked their previous firm for a copy of a letter they prepared themselves before.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 10:52 PM   #671
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

3 months in to my new job.

Getting adapted to a new company in COVID times and partial working from home is certainly a new experience.

Glad to now have benefits for the family for the first time in 8 months.
Old 02-13-2021, 12:59 PM   #672
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Just talked to a friend, he's been out of work since April, with very few opportunities. A lot of really senior people are applying for junior or mid level roles, and willing to take the pay cut. Make sure in your interviews if you're competing with that, that you find a way to emphasize the concept of loyalty and how excited you are by that job description. Senior guys taking junior or mid roles does not and never will indicate long term loyalty.

My friends benefits are going to run out in June, its a terrible situation, and I'm talking with a lot of people who are coming across as extremely depressed, and I'm trying to talk to them about getting help if they can.

I don't want to lose friends and colleagues to this situation. I can't emphasize this enough, if your feeling desperate or hopeless, or the job search grind is beating you up, talk to someone, there are lots of resources, or talk to someone here if you're more comfortable with that, I'm sure we're all willing to give that time.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2021, 01:30 PM   #673
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Another thing to add on, with my recruiter hat.

When I'm interviewing for IT roles or managemnt, or finance or life science, I usually have a good grasp on the role, and a good sense of the terminology role.

In one of my current contracts, I'm vetting therapists. So I don't have a sense of the role yet or the terminology, so for the most part, it comes down to the notes that the recruiter takes, and if it checks off boxes.

So when you're talking to a recruiter and your experience is maybe highly technical. Make sure you talk down to the lowest common denominator, or better yet, ask the recruiter if they're clear on what you're saying. It makes you look very good, in the recruiters eyes if you do this and gives them a favorable impression of you when they do recommendations.

Old 02-13-2021, 06:20 PM   #674
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:

Sociopathically ingenious, though.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:26 AM   #675
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Another thing to add on, with my recruiter hat.

When I'm interviewing for IT roles or managemnt, or finance or life science, I usually have a good grasp on the role, and a good sense of the terminology role.

In one of my current contracts, I'm vetting therapists. So I don't have a sense of the role yet or the terminology, so for the most part, it comes down to the notes that the recruiter takes, and if it checks off boxes.

So when you're talking to a recruiter and your experience is maybe highly technical. Make sure you talk down to the lowest common denominator, or better yet, ask the recruiter if they're clear on what you're saying. It makes you look very good, in the recruiters eyes if you do this and gives them a favorable impression of you when they do recommendations.

I think talking down to someone is a super condescending thing to do, regardless of the situation. I would never do that.
Old 02-15-2021, 09:50 AM   #676
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Maybe a misphrase on my part, but by talking down, simplify what you're talking about and make sure they are clear and understanding on the point you're trying to make. Because if you don't you're dependent on someone that is merely taking notes and doesn't understand the context.

Old 02-15-2021, 10:44 AM   #677
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe that person shouldn’t be recruiting therapists if they don’t understand therapy. Just my two bits.
Old 02-15-2021, 01:41 PM   #678
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Next time that happens, submit an invoice and waive it if they hire you.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 04:03 PM   #679
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

I burned up potential job-opportunity today... Got asked by potential employer to produce a video and upload it to Youtube and answer a few questions. I am not in a technology field and prefer to deal with real people on the phone and emails. Simply not possible given current home situation. sigh... Just cos they don't want to actually talk to someone as part of their vetting process. And yes, I do have something to fall back on which is why I can be a bit bold IMO. Don't roast me folks...

"Good day ABC,Due to [...] situation I am not able to create and submit a video in response to your request. [deleted section] . [...] my situation does not allow for needing to "figure out" how to film, produce, create another social media account, and manage this in a timely manner. [...]Best of luck in your search for a [...]. Should you wish to conduct a personal interview then I will happily and respectfully oblige."
[typical signoff here]
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2021, 05:52 PM   #680
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah the video thing wouldn't be something I'm comfortable with, unless you're applying for a media type of role where on screen presentation is important. .

It allows for them to judge you based on age, appearance and other factors, and then deny it when they deny you. "on no someone just answered the questions letter, it has nothing to do with your skin color or your fat head or that you're over the age of 30".

I did a video request once, and decided never again.

Period.

If they don't want to do a proper interview and want to sit around matching movies, I'll send them a video of my junk doing a happy dance.

In that case, I wouldn't be afraid to ask questions around the why they're doing it this way, and then walk away from it.

Good on you for sticking to your guns,

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: