Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2018, 11:06 AM   #101
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
I don't use question time to impress the interviewers, that's what the previous hour was about.

I use the end of the interview to find out if I actually want to work for the company. There's nothing worse than going through the whole process of getting a job then finding out you hate it.

I ask about the office culture, if everyone works the same hours or has to dress a certain way. I ask about why the previous person left and whether there is a lot of overtime expected because I value work-life balance.

The interview is a two way street, I am also interviewing the company to see if I want o bring my talents there. I've declined job offers because of things that have come up in the interviews. For ex: the president was a huge d!ck, I expected the company to fail, employees were not allowed to leave the premises for lunch etc etc.
Honestly, those questions are about the culture.

If they say in their opinions, top performers work 12hrs/day for example, then you know what type of work environment it will be, and if work/life balance is important to you, you know it's not a fit.

Additionally, EVERYONE asks about culture, etc... it is questions like these that will make you stand out more in their minds. JMO
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:26 PM   #102
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nevermind
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:35 PM   #103
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
Honestly, those questions are about the culture.

If they say in their opinions, top performers work 12hrs/day for example, then you know what type of work environment it will be, and if work/life balance is important to you, you know it's not a fit.

Additionally, EVERYONE asks about culture, etc... it is questions like these that will make you stand out more in their minds. JMO
Haha good point.
I just don't like to dance around the issue. I'm done trying to stand out, I just want to get to the gritty details to see if the job is worth it.

I don't actually use the word "culture" though, that just sounds like you're reciting from a book of Questions to Ask at the End of Interviews.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:16 PM   #104
ASP#26525
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Is that someone a job applicant who is doing a "practice shift" as part of the interview process?
Haha, no. We're meteorologists and he's a terrestrial forecaster that I am training to do marine forecasts. It's "on the job training", as they say.
ASP#26525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:30 PM   #105
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Since this is a relevant thread, if anyone is in a company looking to take on a graphic designer without a large requirement of experience or knows of an opening for a 'junior' level position please do PM me.

I'm working a pretty unsuitable type of work currently and would like to be able to go back to using creativity and problem solving skills on a daily basis. Definitely am chomping at the bit to get such an opportunity and have talents that could be of great use to someone.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:00 PM   #106
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

there's a lot of good advice in this thread. Two points however;

1. One thing I think that needs to be stressed is the whole 'don't contact HR and annoy them thing'... yeah that's a two way street. Do you know how annoying it is for people that are sitting around for months on end hoping they have a chance at a paycheque in a soft market?

If your ####ty process takes 3-4 months to hire a person (many companies seem to take this long these days) then at least have the decency to inform the handful of candidates you interviewed what's going on. I find that because it's an employers market in Calgary the respect has gone straight out the window and maybe a little empathy, decency and class would go a long way. People are out of- or low on money, putting a decent amount of effort (likely) into getting a chance to be your dedicated employee so the least you can do is send an email every couple weeks and indicate what's happening. And no, you're not THAT busy that you can't take the 5 minutes to write one email, copy and paste it 5 times change the name and fire it out if your process is still going on. If the HR people are too busy, maybe the hiring manager can. I dunno it's just one thing that's always bugged me when companies are like "yeah we'll get back to you" and then never do. It's pretty disgraceful, actually.

2. Confidence thing. Yes, confidence is important but humility in my opinion is more important. I want people who aren't alpha jackasses walking around. I want people who believe in themselves, but being arrogant is a non-starter, particularly because 90% of oil and gas technical / financial people are super arrogant and very judgmental. Drives me nuts and almost none of them are as good as they think they are. In fact if you act like that, then it basically insinuates that you aren't that good because your social skills are F-, so even if you're technically smart and a hard worker, you're still a dick that probably doesn't fit well into a team environment.

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 08-07-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2018, 11:20 PM   #107
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
2. Confidence thing. Yes, confidence is important but humility in my opinion is more important. I want people who aren't alpha jackasses walking around. I want people who believe in themselves, but being arrogant is a non-starter, particularly because 90% of oil and gas technical / financial people are super arrogant and very judgmental. Drives me nuts and almost none of them are as good as they think they are. In fact if you act like that, then it basically insinuates that you aren't that good because your social skills are F-, so even if you're technically smart and a hard worker, you're still a dick that probably doesn't fit well into a team environment.
This is a great point. Reading through some of these interview questions you guys are posting, if you deliver them in a certain way, they can come off as arrogant, like you know it all. That's threatening. You don't want to come in guns blazing "I'M GOING TO DO ALL THE THINGS AND BECOME YOUR NEW OVERLORD!!!" because you're not going to get the job that way.

You really just want to show that you'll fit in and perform the function they are hiring you for. You can do all the other stuff after you're in the front door.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JD For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2018, 12:51 AM   #108
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

I agree with those that encourage you to use your questions to gauge the fit.

If I interviewed someone and they had no questions, that was a major issue of concern. For goodness sake, you are considering spending a third of your waking time there, why would you not want to know more than the interviewer’s agenda dictates.

Mind you, I was leading, I didn’t just ask if they had any questions, I would say that I’m sure we haven’t covered everything and they must have questions.

When I moved to a different company I asked the interviewer why he/she joined. What they like, what they don’t like. Really easy questions but it tells you about them (and depending on level of interview, they are going to be your colleague or your boss) as well as about the company.

Also I asked about career path opportunities.

You could ask about general employee tenure and turnover. Are there a lot of long term employees? Why do they think that is? What is the culture like, company or team, and what people like.

Try and circle back and ask a question about something you may have touched on in the earlier part of the interview (if relevant, don’t force it). Shows you were paying attention.

Depending on the level of the job you are applying for, do your research. Publically traded companies have annual reports - look for issues or initiatives you can reference and ask about.

Research your interviewer - LinkedIn, see if they have publications you can review and ask about, or anything in their work history that is of interest. I once had a business meeting when I was an account manager and the guy was a director. He was very closed until I mentioned a paper he had written and asked him a question about it. Then, the doors were open.

Hope that one or two of these perspectives may come in handy.

Best of luck.

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 08-08-2018 at 12:53 AM.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:34 PM   #109
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

If you apply for a job online, use the portal provided (like through LinkedIn or Indeed) and you get an email a few days later confirming receipt from an HR director (ie: human being).

Do you reply to that email? If so, what would you put? Would you 'reply all' if people are cc'ed on the email sent to you?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:28 PM   #110
canada_hdk21
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Still looking to fill a few Tech positions if anyone is interested or think they might know anyone

*Crestron - BIAMP - AMX - EXTRON*

• Representing at client location providing exceptional customer service on a daily basis
• Complete preventative and routine maintenance tasks and reporting as assigned
• Test and troubleshoot control system functionality (may include Crestron, AMX, broadcast automation control and other IP-based control systems).
• Test and evaluate performance of video conference systems over IP networks, including local camera and presentation source routing and control, and acoustic echo cancellation.
• Assist meeting participants in the scheduling and usage of the AV system
• Ensure that all action items are updated centrally in the client’s incident management system (ITSM)
• Provide informal user training with the goal of improved user adoption and work efficiency.
• Recommend service items as required (E.g. replacement projection lamps, batteries)
• Perform other related duties as required
canada_hdk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to canada_hdk21 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2018, 02:29 PM   #111
canada_hdk21
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Looking to fill positions

** deleted for double post **
canada_hdk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:46 AM   #112
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

This is kind of odd.

I recently received an email thanking me for my application but said I was screened out for not meeting a qualification.

Thing is... I have it. It was outlined in both my application and resume.

Has this ever happened to anyone before? What would the best way to reply be?

I want to reply "Are you high, WTF?!" But realistically I'm thinking of saying thank you for keeping me updated and requesting clarity on what they were looking for.

I don't want to come across as arguing to put me back into the selection process. It was a job that I had planned on learning more about in the interview as the posting was incredibly vague, and I'm big and certainly ugly enough to move on.

I'm just irked about the 'reason' given.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:34 PM   #113
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
This is kind of odd.

I recently received an email thanking me for my application but said I was screened out for not meeting a qualification.

Thing is... I have it. It was outlined in both my application and resume.

Has this ever happened to anyone before? What would the best way to reply be?

I want to reply "Are you high, WTF?!" But realistically I'm thinking of saying thank you for keeping me updated and requesting clarity on what they were looking for.

I don't want to come across as arguing to put me back into the selection process. It was a job that I had planned on learning more about in the interview as the posting was incredibly vague, and I'm big and certainly ugly enough to move on.

I'm just irked about the 'reason' given.
I don't know if there's a standard practice for this kind of situation, but I think your approach is a good one. Thank them and ask for clarification while pointing out that you meet the qualification in question. Then leave it open with soft language that invites them to have another look and reconsider. Maybe something like:

"I appreciate the opportunity and courtesy follow-up message. However, may I request some clarification regarding the reasoning provided? It seems there may have been a simple misunderstanding as my application and resume acknowledge that I meet the qualification in question.

I would look forward to an interview further to discuss my application and qualifications. Thank you again for your time and consideration."

It appeals the decision, keeps options open, and doesn't lay any blame. Something like that would be how I would approach it. Even if they don't reconsider I would like them to know they made a mistake.

I did something similar when promised a follow-up either way after an interview. After not hearing anything for 14 days I followed up asking about the process, even though I knew full well I didn't get the job. It was entirely a passive aggressive way to let them know they were discourteous and disrespectful, even though it appeared I took the respectful high road.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:01 PM   #114
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am looking to hire a CET at my mechanical contracting company to take on estimating, take-off database creation and maintenance, bid response with occasional site visits, project co-ordination. Bonus point for drafting/stamping ability. 5 years relevant experience as a threshold. PM me with your resume, or put me in touch with some you might know.

CGY
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:14 PM   #115
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Unfortunately after 7 years with my current position I was laid off this morning. Frankly I've never been laid off or fired in my life so this one hit me hard.

So I'm back on the job market. So I assume I'll be asking some questions when I start my job search. First thing though, I am taking the rest of the week off to kind of decharge.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:24 PM   #116
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Unfortunately after 7 years with my current position I was laid off this morning. Frankly I've never been laid off or fired in my life so this one hit me hard.

So I'm back on the job market. So I assume I'll be asking some questions when I start my job search. First thing though, I am taking the rest of the week off to kind of decharge.
It sucks, but you aren't alone. I read that unemployment in Calgary and area is now 8.2%. I've gotten some great pointers and tips since starting this thread that have seemed to make a big difference. Speaking of which...

TIP - Always submit your application in Word format. After doing some reading I found out that most systems that compile applications automatically do not read PDF files properly, and chances are your application is deleted by the system before it's even seen.

Great to know this after 16 months of primarily submitting my application in PDF formats...

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 09-12-2018, 01:50 PM   #117
MrButtons
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post

TIP - Always submit your application in Word format. After doing some reading I found out that most systems that compile applications automatically do not read PDF files properly, and chances are your application is deleted by the system before it's even seen.
Agreed - but if you are emailing the resume to someone try to send it as a pdf, I have found that word formats open up weird and the format can change
MrButtons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrButtons For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2018, 02:37 PM   #118
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got an email yesterday from a mobile game studio in Victoria asking me to do an art test. Even if I don't end up getting the job it's a big confidence boost and makes me feel like maybe I didn't completely screw up my career deciding to leave Vancouver last summer.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2018, 04:05 PM   #119
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Did anyone take the Part-time Intro to Web Development course with Lighthouse Labs? How was the course? And how was the institution?

https://www.lighthouselabs.ca/intro-to-web

I am thinking of taking it to get an edge on my perpetual job search....
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:39 PM   #120
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrButtons View Post
Agreed - but if you are emailing the resume to someone try to send it as a pdf, I have found that word formats open up weird and the format can change
This is the reason I always submitted PDFs, as I have the same experience with Word. All it takes is someone having an older version, or even operating without a particular font file.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran

Tags
job search , jobs , unemployed