Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2018, 08:03 PM   #1821
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Noah Hanifin's Highlight video from same cat who's Lindholm video I posted yesterday.

Big things you notice. Like the slap you in the face about Hanifin.

Aggresive a F**** on pinches.

Reads plays so well so when he does pinch, its low risk.

Skates hard as heck. Kind of the opposite of dougies smooth gazelle like stride.
Yup - really good hockey sense jumped out in those videos to me.

Also really liked a lot of Derek Ryan’s play in those clips as well.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2018, 10:51 PM   #1822
squirtle
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yup - really good hockey sense jumped out in those videos to me.

Also really liked a lot of Derek Ryan’s play in those clips as well.

agreed. I just kept on seeing number 7
squirtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:11 AM   #1823
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
You’re the most negative guy on the board. Sounds like a problem you can easily fix yourself.
Ok i can stop being a dick. My posts can be positive but i don't need the CP Gestapo telling me how to be a fan.

Last edited by Kybb79; 06-27-2018 at 03:18 AM.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:27 AM   #1824
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
Ok i can stop being a dick. My posts can be positive but i don't need the CP Gestapo telling me how to be a fan.

GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2018, 08:41 AM   #1825
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dellow: Flames take on risk for the peace of mind of not having Dougie Hamilton

Quote:
Calgary is, in my view, taking a significant risk that they’ve acquired two expensive players who will never be difference makers. In order for this trade to work well for them, they probably need to have one of those players be something that they haven’t yet proven that they are.
https://theathletic.com/406748/2018/...ugie-hamilton/
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:50 AM   #1826
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

never be difference makers. Pretty harsh for a 21 and 23 year old players. Didn't know they already peaked.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2018, 08:53 AM   #1827
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Dellow: Flames take on risk for the peace of mind of not having Dougie Hamilton

https://theathletic.com/406748/2018/...ugie-hamilton/

Tyler Dellow? This guy still has a job??

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2018, 08:53 AM   #1828
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always laugh when I hear extreme statements like ‘two expensive players who will never be difference makers’ and the athletic is brutal for over the top assertions like this. Was William Karlsson an impact ‘difference maker’ before he exploded with the VGN this year?

Lindholm is 23 with a great consistent start to his career.. lots of room to grow before he even hits his peak seasons... even more so with Hanifin who is 21... you cant assume he won’t be a difference maker at this stage and he already has more than a solid start to his career; numbers wise almost identical to Hamilton’s start of his career through his first 3 seasons... was Hamilton a ‘difference maker’ to this guy who wrote that article when Boston traded him?

Just a stupid article that is more over click bait and I can’t believe they expect people to pay for that full story of garbage.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:55 AM   #1829
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

‘In order for this trade to work for them they probably need one of those players’ to improve?

Uhhhh. Yeah. Do they have open positions at the Athletic?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2018, 08:58 AM   #1830
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Tyler Dellow? This guy still has a job??
Believe it or not, Dellow seems to be a well-respected writer at a well-respected organization. It is a good article, even if the headline is a little dramatic.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:03 AM   #1831
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah this trade was always going to get blasted by the "twitter" media.

They love Hamilton. Love his advanced stats, love the shot contributions, and look at how strong Gio & him were at driving play. And they are not wrong in those assertions.

What I think people are missing is that Hanifin is also pretty good at all that stuff. They were the 2nd pairing so they didn't face other teams top lines but him and TVR had pretty good advanced stats as well and that one chart posted yesterday showed that in an individual contribution perspective that Hanifin is actually very similar to Hamilton with stuff like puck retirevals, zone exits, etc.

The Flames did give up a lot in this trade but I feel like people are missing that you usually need to overpay for 21 year old, 5th overall picks, that have already been to an all-star game and put up 30 points last year. Plus add in another 23 year old, 5th overall pick that is a consistent 40 point guy at the age of 23.

So sure the Flames did give up a lot of value in this trade, and they do need to hope these guys take another step but I feel like most 21/23 year olds that have already succeeded at the NHL level tend to develop and grow as players in their mid-20s - and comparing just what they did last year to what Hamilton did last year may not be a fair assessment of the deal.

Also if what was said at the media availability yesterday is true and Fox's agent told Treliving that he wasn't signing with any team before free agency and was finishing his time at Harvard then his value would have plummeted. Would have been lucky to get a 3rd or 4th for him at that point.

And outside of the headline that is actually a really good article from Dellow.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 06-27-2018 at 09:12 AM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2018, 09:04 AM   #1832
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think that comment is out of line. More like captain obvious stuff.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Saqe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2018, 09:05 AM   #1833
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Believe it or not, Dellow seems to be a well-respected writer at a well-respected organization. It is a good article, even if the headline is a little dramatic.
A little dramatic? Dellow is writing off a 21-year-old defence man who led his team in scoring from the blue line and played in the All Star Game. That is not a little dramatic. That is typical of what I remember of Dellow: jaded and myopic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2018, 09:13 AM   #1834
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A little dramatic? Dellow is writing off a 21-year-old defence man who led his team in scoring from the blue line and played in the All Star Game. That is not a little dramatic. That is typical of what I remember of Dellow: jaded and myopic.
Dellow really didn't do that if you read the article. He's simply saying that given precedence, it is extremely unlikely he ever becomes as good as Hamilton right now. He notes that Hanifin was given a little more freedom last season but was still sheltered after being extremely sheltered the two seasons prior.

That doesn't mean he can't turn into a star (he is not a star, regardless of what the all-star fan vote says), but that seems like a massive risk from the Flames perspective, especially considering what was given up.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:17 AM   #1835
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it true Treliving said Fox’s advisor told him he wouldn’t sign with anybody before he was able to hit UFA? That is certainly very disappointing but if true also reduces Fox’s value to that of a throw in in almost any trade.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:25 AM   #1836
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is John Carlson a difference maker? Asking for a friend.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:27 AM   #1837
Kickazzflames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
TSN

Verified account

@TSN_Sports
Following Following @TSN_Sports
More
Lindholm eyeing long-term deal from Flames.
MORE: https://www.tsn.ca/lindholm-eyeing-l...ames-1.1124591
It isn't the biggest news, but it's news.
Kickazzflames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kickazzflames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2018, 09:27 AM   #1838
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too though we have to consider that Hamonic is >>> TVR

There is a very good chance that Hanifin continues his upward trajectory for a 3rd straight season; both these guys at 6 x 5 mill would be amazing value contracts by year’s 3 and the long term improvement to the core in acquiring them can’t be undervalued here either.

Did we give up the current best player in the deal? Yep

Did we get two highly skilled assets to lockup for 6+ years at a great number? Yep

Hamilton has 3 years remaining, 2 years until extension talks of 8 to 10 million if he’s who all the people dissing the trade think he is. Ferland needs to be locked up in a year and both are 3 or 4 years older than their counterparts in the deal.

If a never gonna sign here Fox was the tipping point of the trade happening or not than so be it - Nashville waiting out Vesey turned into a 4th round pick from Buffalo (who still couldn’t sign him BTW so there’s a great chance Fox waits out the canes too)

People need to step back and truly look at the players involved and their year’s left / values - especially after the RFA contracts for Lindholm and Hanifin are signed. To me this is nothing close to the worst trade in history for the flames which I’ve actually read more than once and it actually has the potential (Rick Ball!) to become one of the best trades for the club.

Last edited by Heavy Jack; 06-27-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:29 AM   #1839
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't really understand how Lindholm could be looking at ~$5 million per season when JT Miller, who is significantly better, just got $5.25 million AAV.

To me, that puts Lindholm at around $4.25 million.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2018, 09:31 AM   #1840
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He was just on 960 for about 15 minutes discussing this. He didn't dismiss Hanifin only emphasized that Hamilton was the best player in the trade and the Flames have to hope that Hanifin can be as good while Carolina knows what they have in Hamilton. They also discussed Treliving's obsession with character (and Montreal) and how character is overrated when it comes to winning cups as Kessel is kind of an oddball guy (like Hamilton) but he was worth it to the Penguins for their two Stanley Cups and Subban may not be the greatest locker room guy but you can't dismiss that the Predators two most successful seasons have come with him on the team and that winning is more important than guys hanging out together.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: