Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 02:47 PM   #3001
hansmoleman
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
Pat Verbeek: 5’9” - 190 lbs
Steve Sullivan: 5’7” - 156 lbs

Mark Jankowski: 6’4” - 205 lbs

One of these things is not like the others.
Sorry guys I think I meant someone else, maybe more like Keith Primeau with his chippy board play and being able to muscle guys down low. I think Janko has potential to have a wicked shot too. Once he puts on some more muscle, his ceiling is so much higher than his floor.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:57 PM   #3002
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Other than the fact they have been looking to move Duchene or he has wanted out for months, if not a year now(as rumored)... Duchene has 2 years left on his deal and is a UFA at the end(fact), how can one not conclude that the rumor of an offer that has supposedly been on the table, isnt BS? Unless the offer is simply for spare parts..?

"Speculation based on assumptions" ? isnt that the whole thread? At least I have used some sort of deduction of speculation to apply to my thought process.

If this was information by a unknown source, who's to say the source isnt from the Avs front office in an attempt to drive up the price on Duchene as the offers they have actually received are not what Sakic thinks the is fair market value?
Well there were rumours that he turned down Hamonic and a 1st. That's not spare parts.

There's a few major problems with your deduction and conclusion. The major flaw in your reasoning is you assume Sakic will take any offer that isn't spare parts. That's a very, very flawed assumption. Which then leads you to take a very questionable deductive leap into assuming any reports of teams having offers on the table must be false since Sakic hasn't traded Duchene. Overall some poor logic on your part IMO.

This is an important trade for Sakic. He already fubar'd the O'Reilly trade and therefore cannot make the same mistake with Duchene. He's not going to accept just any offer. They obviously value Duchene highly and are probably looking for a young established NHL dman or forward + picks/prospects. Just because Duchene demands a trade doesn't mean Sakic has to take any offers he gets. Sakic is doing the right thing by waiting until they get an offer they deem acceptable. It seems like he might have learnt from his O'Reilly mistake.

People praise Yzerman for not trading Drouin immediately when he demanded a trade. Sakic is just doing the same thing but people like to pile on him for whatever reason.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2017, 03:01 PM   #3003
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Well there were rumours that he turned down Hamonic and a 1st. That's not spare parts.

There's a few major problems with your deduction and conclusion. The major flaw in your reasoning is you assume Sakic will take any offer that isn't spare parts. That's a very, very flawed assumption. Which then leads you to take a very questionable deductive leap into assuming any reports of teams having offers on the table must be false since Sakic hasn't traded Duchene. Overall some poor logic on your part IMO.

This is an important trade for Sakic. He already fubar'd the O'Reilly trade and therefore cannot make the same mistake with Duchene. He's not going to accept just any offer. They obviously value Duchene highly and are probably looking for a young established NHL dman or forward + picks/prospects. Just because Duchene demands a trade doesn't mean Sakic has to take any offers he gets. Sakic is doing the right thing by waiting until they get an offer they deem acceptable. It seems like he might have learnt from his O'Reilly mistake.

People praise Yzerman for not trading Drouin immediately when he demanded a trade. Sakic is just doing the same thing but people like to pile on him for whatever reason.
IMO, this is a very logical and well thought out post.

Even if you don't agree with all of it, it would give you pause to consider another view point.

Although I do agree with it.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:27 PM   #3004
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

LeBrun says he thinks the Canadiens will be patient with Galchenyuk. He also said that the Devils came close to acquiring Galchenyuk this summer but the Habs pulled out.

https://www.fanragsports.com/lebrun-...th-galchenyuk/

Quote:
“And I think the Canadiens plan to be patient with him. I know everyone is saying, ‘Just trade him. Let him have a fresh start.’ Well, the Oilers did that too with a guy named Justin Schultz because his confidence was shattered at one point in his career and the Oilers just said, ‘You know what? It’s never going to happen here for him.’ So they gave him away for three pucks and a hockey stick to the Pittsburgh Penguins, and he’s now a $5 million player.

“So it’s not ideal to trade a guy when he has no value, or he’s at his lowest value. I think they nearly traded him this summer. I think the Devils were in some pretty heavy talks with the Canadiens. The Habs I think pulled him back because they were like, ‘He’s worth more than this.’ And I don’t know what they would have got from the Devils. And right now, his value is even lower after a poor start.

“So I think one day they will trade him, but what they want to do is bring his value back by having Alex Galchenyuk return himself, by being the guy that they think he can be. And right now he’s just not that at all.”
Old 10-12-2017, 03:30 PM   #3005
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

All this smoke with galchenyuk makes me think the habs are close to pulling the trigger
Old 10-12-2017, 04:57 PM   #3006
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

FDW, thanks and I agree. I totally forgot about the Hamonic offer. You're right that is a far cry from spare parts.

But can we expect a team to be offering more than what NYI did at this point?

Last edited by IgiTang; 10-12-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:32 PM   #3007
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
FDW, thanks and I agree. I totally forgot about the Hamonic offer. You're right that is a far cry from spare parts.

But can we expect a team to be offering more than what NYI did at this point?
Why not? If that was the offer at the draft and he's played well this season so far there's no reason to expect the offers to come down from Hamonic & a 1st.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:52 PM   #3008
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Insider trading:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider-...tthews~1230997

Dreger suggests that Matthews may get more than McDavid. Watch the video for the logic.

Nylander might get signed first by the Leafs because he is RFA next season. Number likely to start with a 7.

LeBrun thinks is is very likely Kucherov's next contract will eclipse Stamkos'

McKenzie points out that Slashing penalties are up 495% compared to last year, but PPs are only up 18% which shows that other penalties are being called less.

Lebrun repeated the previously reported Galchenyuk stuff.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2017, 06:06 PM   #3009
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Insider trading:

Dreger suggests that Matthews may get more than McDavid. Watch the video for the logic.

Nylander might get signed first by the Leafs because he is RFA next season. Number likely to start with a 7.

McKenzie points out that Slashing penalties are up 495% compared to last year, but PPs are only up 18% which shows that other penalties are being called less.

Oy Nylander at 7 is very very high imo. His defensive game is not that good and considering what Pastarnak just got I'd say around 6.5 would be fair especially with the other contracts they wil need to sign.

Nylanders contract is important because Tkachuk's contract could use his as a comparable
Old 10-12-2017, 06:17 PM   #3010
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Insider trading:

This is a logical error. Other penalties aren't being called less, it's just that slashing penalties are only a portion of penalties that are called, so 5x more of them then last year could only effect total penalties by 18%.You can't make that correlation without knowing the percentage or portional breakdown of the types of penalties that were called last year. Also, the percentage of slashing penalties taken this year being so much higher this year would reduce the proportional percentage of other types of penalties compared to slashing.

Finally, other penalties could also be called less because players that are frequently penalized for tripping ect, might already be in the box for taking a slashing penalty that wouldn't have been called last year, reducing their ice time to commit other shenanigans.

Last edited by FlamesFanTrev; 10-12-2017 at 06:29 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FlamesFanTrev For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2017, 06:44 PM   #3011
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

He didn't just provide the percentages. He also provided the actual penalties called. I am just not going to summarize all his words.

He also claimed to look at hooking, tripping, etc. (obstruction penalties) and they are down across the board.

He also said he is not sure if the reduction in calls are because the refs are focusing on slashing and letting other things pass or if calling the initial slash is stopping the play before a player goes for the hook, trip, etc.

So yes he addressed most of your concerns.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2017, 07:06 PM   #3012
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
He didn't just provide the percentages. He also provided the actual penalties called. I am just not going to summarize all his words.

So yes he addressed most of your concerns.
Sweet. Thanks for your follow up post, much appreciated. I feel better knowing this wasn't just shoddy math.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:38 PM   #3013
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, if you take slashing penalties out of the equation, power plays decreased from 340 to 295. A 13% decrease in all non-slashing calls.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:14 PM   #3014
Wyguy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
icon53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Oy Nylander at 7 is very very high IMO. His defensive game is not that good and considering what Pasternak just got I'd say around 6.5 would be fair especially with the other contracts they will need to sign.

Nylander's contract is important because Tkachuk's contract could use his as a comparable
What kind of number should we expect for Chucky? I was thinking 3m but I doubt many people have him that low. 3m for 6 that is.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:27 PM   #3015
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyguy View Post
What kind of number should we expect for Chucky? I was thinking 3m but I doubt many people have him that low. 3m for 6 that is.
$4.5m @3yrs/
$5m @ 4yrs/
$5.5m@5yrs or 6 years

I'm guessing he goes balls out and is a 50-65 pt guy this year and next
and the team goes for a 8yr around $6m/
Old 10-12-2017, 08:33 PM   #3016
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the number will be north of 6 million on a 6 million contract.

Unless his best season was his rookie season, one could expect his numbers to improve. His advanced metrics are a statisticians' dream right now, he is picking his spots much better these days with his 'antics' that pull the team into the game, and his offensive numbers are good as is, though once again, improvement there should happen.

I can't see a scenario that the Flames wouldn't want him on a long term deal north of 6 million. I think in the neighborhood of Monahan and Gaudreau (thank goodness for the Giordano cap!).
Old 10-13-2017, 12:21 AM   #3017
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It really depends on what his stats are this season and next, if he has a massive year where he puts up 25-30 goals and gets 35-40 assists over the next 2 seasons we are looking at close to 7 on a long term contract (That's the highest I can envision), if he caps out at lets say 20 goals and 30-35 assists I think that would get him closer to 6. Playoff performances (hopefully) will also play a big role. He keep his play up he's gonna get paid big time

Last edited by Beninho; 10-13-2017 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:37 AM   #3018
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
sorry, but LOL
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2017, 07:49 AM   #3019
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

7 million for Nylander?!?! Good god the Leafs will be in cap hell once all those guys are signed. If Ny is at the very least 7 mill and Matthews is making more than Mc######vid (13 mill?) than that means Marner is at least gonna cost 8 mill.

That's 28 to 30 mill just for their top 3 forwards alone and Marleau is making 6.25 mill too for two years after this... expensive no doubt.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:52 AM   #3020
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the leafs have to trade one of Marner or Nylander for a good young defender like the Jones for Johanssen deal