Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2020, 10:17 AM   #3081
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
So I have an exterior GFCI outlet on the side of my house that isn't getting power.

The one on the front of the house works fine, and I just finished replacing the one on the left side of the house which now works fine. But the right side I get bupkiss.

I don't even know where to begin to tackle this problem. Thoughts?
Was it working prior to replacing the other one?
Old 10-16-2020, 10:21 AM   #3082
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looking for some advise on soundproofing windows.

My place is at the end of a residential street with a commercial sidestreet on the south side of the house. The sidestreet sees lots of loud traffic in the middle of the night (delivery trucks, garbage/recycling pickup) and it's disrupting my sleep.

Based on my research, there are a few options to add soundproofing but it starts to get expensive quickly. It's also hard to know how much soundproofing is enough (at some point I assume you reach diminishing returns where the window is more soundproof than the wall, though I'm not sure where that line is).

- Add a double cell blackout blind such as the Hunter Douglas Duette (questionable how effective this would be but probably a good starting point)
- Retrofit existing double pane windows with a laminate soundproofing layer (The Glass Guru seems to offer this service)
- Replace windows with a more soundproof + energy efficient model, likely triple pane (don't really even know where to start)
- Add a soundproof interior window such as a bQuiet (extremely expensive)

Any other options I'm missing? Anyone have experience with this kind of problem or advise on where to start / how far to go?

Last edited by Flames0910; 10-16-2020 at 10:25 AM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:28 AM   #3083
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post

My place is at the end of a residential street with a commercial sidestreet on the south side of the house. The sidestreet sees lots of loud traffic in the middle of the night (delivery trucks, garbage/recycling pickup) and it's disrupting my sleep.

Based on my research, there are a few options to add soundproofing but it starts to get expensive quickly. It's also hard to know how much soundproofing is enough (at some point I assume you reach diminishing returns where the window is more soundproof than the wall, though I'm not sure where that line is).

- Add a double cell blackout blind such as the Hunter Douglas Duette (questionable how effective this would be but probably a good starting point)
- Retrofit existing double pane windows with a laminate soundproofing layer (The Glass Guru seems to offer this service)
- Replace windows with a more soundproof + energy efficient model, likely triple pane (don't really even know where to start)

Any other options I'm missing? Anyone have experience with this kind of problem or advise on where to start / how far to go?
I don't have any feedback on those options, but would a white noise machine be a possibility? Could be a cheaper alternative to combine with with the blind.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:33 AM   #3084
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Was it working prior to replacing the other one?
Negative. When we bought the house the only exterior plug that worked was in the front of the house. The ones on either side didn't.

The one of the left side was right some fried. The one on the right side just didn't work.

I replaced both. Left side works, nothing on the right.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:39 AM   #3085
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Negative. When we bought the house the only exterior plug that worked was in the front of the house. The ones on either side didn't.

The one of the left side was right some fried. The one on the right side just didn't work.

I replaced both. Left side works, nothing on the right.
I'd pull the plug out and see if the box has power first. If not, see if all your breakers are on. If they are, see if a circuit nearby on the inside is working. If you have an outlet inside very near the outside one, you could pull that and see if wires look to lead from there outside.

Remember to always confirm power is off before pulling outlets out, then turn power on to test for current. If you don't have a no contact tester, go buy one first.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:31 AM   #3086
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Only triple pane windows will make a material difference. Everything else is useless.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:51 AM   #3087
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I don't have any feedback on those options, but would a white noise machine be a possibility? Could be a cheaper alternative to combine with with the blind.
Great idea! Just ordered one, hopefully it helps
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 12:15 PM   #3088
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Great idea! Just ordered one, hopefully it helps
Is it a dedicated white noise machine? If yes, I'd suggest returning it and getting an Amazon echo or Google home or something like that. They're only a few bucks more, but you can install a white noise skill and do far more than just the white noise.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:09 PM   #3089
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Is it a dedicated white noise machine? If yes, I'd suggest returning it and getting an Amazon echo or Google home or something like that. They're only a few bucks more, but you can install a white noise skill and do far more than just the white noise.
I considered that but ended up pulling the trigger on a Lectrofan. It's the top recommendation from The Wirecutter and apparently the better of the two main types of fan for blocking noise.

The garbage and delivery trucks we're dealing with can be pretty loud so I think while we try to figure out a long term solution a specialized device that blocks more frequencies of sound will be worth the (small) cost.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:12 PM   #3090
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think a dedicated white noise machine is better. Your probably running that thing 6-8 hours straight everyday and the white noise machines are built to handle that. I'd be concerned that the echo or google home's speaker wouldn't be able to handle that.
Old 10-16-2020, 02:33 PM   #3091
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'd pull the plug out and see if the box has power first. If not, see if all your breakers are on. If they are, see if a circuit nearby on the inside is working. If you have an outlet inside very near the outside one, you could pull that and see if wires look to lead from there outside.

Remember to always confirm power is off before pulling outlets out, then turn power on to test for current. If you don't have a no contact tester, go buy one first.
This is all good advice, one question for you though, are all of your outside plugs GFCI plugs or regular house ones?

Sometimes electricians will install a GFCI dead front in the basement next to the panel. The dead front looks exactly like a gfci plug except it doesn't have any plugs.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:29 PM   #3092
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
I'd pull the plug out and see if the box has power first.
Fair advice, I haven't checked. I get the feeling that it doesn't.

Quote:
If not, see if all your breakers are on.
They are on.

Quote:
If they are, see if a circuit nearby on the inside is working.
The inside outlets are working. There used to be an electric stove in the basement (that was in a room that isn't by the outside outlet), we took the stove out and used the space in the breaker panel for something else, what I don't remember, it was done by our contractor when we bought the house. I mean I suppose it's possible it was on that circuit even though it would be nonsensical.

Quote:
If you have an outlet inside very near the outside one, you could pull that and see if wires look to lead from there outside.
Interesting. I don't know if that would necessarily work but I'll try it tomorrow.

Quote:
But... then how will I get superpowers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
This is all good advice, one question for you though, are all of your outside plugs GFCI plugs or regular house ones?

Sometimes electricians will install a GFCI dead front in the basement next to the panel. The dead front looks exactly like a gfci plug except it doesn't have any plugs.
I assumed that it was the plug, and grabbed some GFCI plugs on sale. I replaced the plug assuming that was the problem, so it's a new GFCI plug that's there now. The old one was GFCI as well, as were the others.

Thanks for all the input. I'd like to get it working, if for nothing else it would make putting up the Christmas lights a bit easier as it's in the best place for extension cords.

Old 10-16-2020, 05:11 PM   #3093
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Fair advice, I haven't checked. I get the feeling that it doesn't.

They are on.

The inside outlets are working. There used to be an electric stove in the basement (that was in a room that isn't by the outside outlet), we took the stove out and used the space in the breaker panel for something else, what I don't remember, it was done by our contractor when we bought the house. I mean I suppose it's possible it was on that circuit even though it would be nonsensical.

Interesting. I don't know if that would necessarily work but I'll try it tomorrow.

But... then how will I get superpowers?

I assumed that it was the plug, and grabbed some GFCI plugs on sale. I replaced the plug assuming that was the problem, so it's a new GFCI plug that's there now. The old one was GFCI as well, as were the others.

Thanks for all the input. I'd like to get it working, if for nothing else it would make putting up the Christmas lights a bit easier as it's in the best place for extension cords.
Often, the exterior plugs are all on one circuit, perhaps at one point, the wire was disconnected upstream in the box of the other one?
Old 10-16-2020, 05:28 PM   #3094
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

How long were the nails you used when re doing the siding? I have seen people using way too long of nails before and piercing a wire. That usually happens during the plywood sheeting though.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:34 PM   #3095
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Often, the exterior plugs are all on one circuit, perhaps at one point, the wire was disconnected upstream in the box of the other one?
One of the breakers is labeled "outside plugs". So what you're saying makes sense.

If that is the case, how do I fix it?

Old 10-16-2020, 08:53 PM   #3096
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
One of the breakers is labeled "outside plugs". So what you're saying makes sense.

I’d pull the working outlet off, just to see if there’s extra wires in there, or evidence that there has been. If there is, check with a non contact tester to see if the unconnected ones have any power in them. (If they were disconnected, and that’s the reason why the other outlet doesn’t work, you would not find power in that set of wires)
Old 10-16-2020, 09:06 PM   #3097
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Key advice (thanks to foolish personal experience): Don't let the magic smoke out.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:16 PM   #3098
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

May need to defer to Paperbagger here, but aren't you only supposed to have one GFCI on a circuit, and the others off the load terminal of it? So if you replaced one or more, this may cause problems. Might want to Google that.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:41 PM   #3099
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
May need to defer to Paperbagger here, but aren't you only supposed to have one GFCI on a circuit, and the others off the load terminal of it? So if you replaced one or more, this may cause problems. Might want to Google that.
Yep you'll only ever have 1 point of GFCI protection per circuit, all the downstream plugs should be wired from the load side (bottom of gfci) terminals.

The advice given so you so far is good. I'd first look at the dead plug and make sure there isn't power on the screw terminals. The next place id check is the regular plug that is working and make sure there are 2 black and 2 white wires coming off of it. Beyond that you should be calling an electrician, theres a few things they can check which I wouldn't recommend a homeowner doing, plus some specialty testing equipment.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 04:03 AM   #3100
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Yep you'll only ever have 1 point of GFCI protection per circuit, all the downstream plugs should be wired from the load side (bottom of gfci) terminals.

The advice given so you so far is good. I'd first look at the dead plug and make sure there isn't power on the screw terminals. The next place id check is the regular plug that is working and make sure there are 2 black and 2 white wires coming off of it. Beyond that you should be calling an electrician, theres a few things they can check which I wouldn't recommend a homeowner doing, plus some specialty testing equipment.
Without running back outside at the moment, I can tell you that the plugs on each side of the house have one white and one black wire. No wires for the load.

It would reason the front would be the same.

PaperBagger I'll buy you pizza and beer if you come check it out for me. I mean, you'll need to pay for your own flights, plus hotel, and then quarantine for two weeks... but I'll guarantee the best burnt Delicio pineapple pizza and warm O'Doull's you've ever had!

Last edited by Maritime Q-Scout; 10-17-2020 at 06:30 AM.