Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2020, 11:14 AM   #3061
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've done about $50k in windows/doors through Gienow Renovations (owned by Ply-Gem now, so they obviously only use their in-house custom windows).

Always happy with the work/quality of the windows; initially went with them on the first order because their aluminum clad vinyl windows were only 10-15% more than vinyl exteriors. (most places were 25%+). And since we weren't willing to compromise with ugly white windows (which wouldn't match at all, but doesn't faze a lot of homeowners), they were cheapest for metal clad exteriors.

That said, since then, we've continued to use them since the service and quality has been great. Friends did similar scope of work with Jeld-Wen windows, and they've already had mechanical and sticking issues.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2020, 12:00 PM   #3062
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Replaced a bunch of windows last year with Lux. Very happy with service, price, install and window quality.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2020, 12:29 PM   #3063
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

To kinda piggy back on the windows discussion. I have a two part question.

I have a window on the second floor of my house original to the house. Sometime during the summer, the rubber seal turned basically to rock and the window wouldn't close. There was like almost a 0.5 to 1 cm gap around the window.

I ripped out a bunch of the rock hard seal and I can get the top closed now and I can activate the top windows latch lock to ensure the window doesn't accidentally pop open. But the bottom around the windows casement crank still has around half a CM gap. The casement crank somehow is hitting something I think and I've tried a few things to try and get it to close flush, but to no avail.

Question 1: Do I need to do anything extra with this window and if yes, how do I diagnose and fix it so it closes completely?

Question 2: For the rubber windows seal I ripped out, do I need to bother replacing it? (ie: some crappy foam To help prevent moisture getting into the wood window frame?)

I do plan on using those plastic window seal kits on it for the winter, but I just wanted to know if I'm going to get some serious problems with condensation and whatnot if there's that half a CM gap on the bottom.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:32 PM   #3064
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can you get on a ladder and investigate from the outside?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:44 PM   #3065
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Its a $107 part from LG Canada. I'm going to see if its covered under the warranty.. If I can just get some money off the part I will be happy. I will be making an attempt to do it myself as I found some videos showing it to be fairly easy.
I changed the gasket on my Samsung a few weeks back.

Not sure what the LG videos show, but you may not have to take the whole front of the washer apart. I just took only the gasket off, there was no need for me to remove the front and top pieces as all the videos for Samsungs show.

Took about 45 minutes start to end. Hardest part by far was getting the outer retaining ring back on.
Old 10-08-2020, 01:26 PM   #3066
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Can you get on a ladder and investigate from the outside?
Not yet. Only from the 2nd floor inside.

Hoping not to have to, but may have no choice. Window in front of a sloped driveway.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:45 PM   #3067
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well timed for the windows discussion. Our living room has a large edge to edge crack on the inside. Nasty. Not good timing budget wise. Only had Supreme in for a quote so far and running about $2400'ish incl install, crank open side window, triple glaze, solar whatsit, etc... Also quoting ~January install based on 10-12 weeks ARO. Sounds like I should get Lux, Giewow, Jeld-Wen, in too.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 02:54 PM   #3068
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
I've done about $50k in windows/doors through Gienow Renovations (owned by Ply-Gem now, so they obviously only use their in-house custom windows).

Always happy with the work/quality of the windows; initially went with them on the first order because their aluminum clad vinyl windows were only 10-15% more than vinyl exteriors. (most places were 25%+). And since we weren't willing to compromise with ugly white windows (which wouldn't match at all, but doesn't faze a lot of homeowners), they were cheapest for metal clad exteriors.

That said, since then, we've continued to use them since the service and quality has been great. Friends did similar scope of work with Jeld-Wen windows, and they've already had mechanical and sticking issues.
+1 for Gienow Built a 7 figure home a few years ago and went with Geinow. Great windows, great service. Over 40 windows and not a single issue (*knock on wood*).
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigNumbers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2020, 03:23 PM   #3069
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Window discussion - anybody have an old window around that they don’t want. I’m looking for a small window for a shed project. Looking for something immediately

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:49 PM   #3070
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Window discussion - anybody have an old window around that they don’t want. I’m looking for a small window for a shed project. Looking for something immediately
FYI I just bought this

https://www.rona.ca/en/prestofen-fix...-15392-7931001

for my shed, they are not to bad, and not expensive. You can stop by and check it out if you want, build day is tomorrow. So bring your tool belt!
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2020, 06:53 PM   #3071
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You also have to take some concrete rubble with you.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:01 PM   #3072
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Finished exterior (except eaves and downspouts):

Left it ready for a mini deck as a replacement for the aging concrete steps, which I’ll need to do in the next couple years.

Previously, it had faded cream coloured siding/metal, and peach/salmon trim, with an orangey brick column.

Last edited by You Need a Thneed; 10-12-2020 at 11:04 PM.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to You Need a Thneed For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 07:58 AM   #3073
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post

Left it ready for a mini deck as a replacement for the aging concrete steps, which I’ll need to do in the next couple years.

Previously, it had faded cream coloured siding/metal, and peach/salmon trim, with an orangey brick column.
Looks fantastic, I'm closing in on biting the bullet and replacing my hodgepodge of stucco and metal siding all painted the same colour by the previous owner. Sharp looking houses like yours inspires me to get going on the project.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 08:10 AM   #3074
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, tackling the siding on my house is my big project for next year. Right now it looks like Santa's summer home.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:14 AM   #3075
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I changed the gasket on my Samsung a few weeks back.

Not sure what the LG videos show, but you may not have to take the whole front of the washer apart. I just took only the gasket off, there was no need for me to remove the front and top pieces as all the videos for Samsungs show.

Took about 45 minutes start to end. Hardest part by far was getting the outer retaining ring back on.
Good to know. I have it on the list of things to do this week!
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:27 PM   #3076
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post

Looks great, what is that product in your peaks called? That's exactly what I've been trying to explain to people that I'd like to have.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 12:34 PM   #3077
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Looks great, what is that product in your peaks called? That's exactly what I've been trying to explain to people that I'd like to have.
Thanks for asking this, I too am curious as in need to replace my dingy vinyl in that location. This place looks so damn good!

The rest of my place is pink brick which is pretty much the worst appearance wise. No idea what to do, seriously considered staining it but have abandoned that idea.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 01:07 PM   #3078
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Looks like Hardie Board Siding, no? Fiber Cement Siding.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:45 PM   #3079
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Thanks for asking this, I too am curious as in need to replace my dingy vinyl in that location. This place looks so damn good!

The rest of my place is pink brick which is pretty much the worst appearance wise. No idea what to do, seriously considered staining it but have abandoned that idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
Looks like Hardie Board Siding, no? Fiber Cement Siding.
The material on the peaks is LUX v groove steel siding (made in Alberta I believe). The colour I used is “espresso”

https://luxarpro.com/lux-4-6-v-groove-panel/

The siding is Mitten - Regatta Blue.

The aluminum fascia and soffit is Royal Aluminum - Ironstone
Old 10-16-2020, 10:10 AM   #3080
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

So I have an exterior GFCI outlet on the side of my house that isn't getting power.

The one on the front of the house works fine, and I just finished replacing the one on the left side of the house which now works fine. But the right side I get bupkiss.

I don't even know where to begin to tackle this problem. Thoughts?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote