Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2020, 02:53 PM   #2821
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You could also just feed a measuring tape into it and see how far it goes, and if it feels like it gets hung up, if it were to turn down. If you have a snake that would be sturdier.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 03:44 PM   #2822
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
If it was a french drain that would make my decision on where to move that downspout so much easier so I'm really hoping it is. Right now it runs alongside the path and ends at the top of the basement stairs (and then of course, runs down the stairs) which is not only colossally stupid for drainage but also in the way...

I guess what I'm looking for is how I'd confirm if that's the case?
Stick a garden hose in and see how far it goes. If it only goes 6-8 feet it's probably going down to the footing. If it keeps going, it's maybe a french drain.

You could also leave the hose running and wait and see if your neighbours come running out of their houses soaked.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 04:15 PM   #2823
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Stick a garden hose in and see how far it goes. If it only goes 6-8 feet it's probably going down to the footing. If it keeps going, it's maybe a french drain.

You could also leave the hose running and wait and see if your neighbours come running out of their houses soaked.
Or more likely, see if my basement floods.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 05:53 PM   #2824
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missdpuck View Post
I’m finding the same with my kitchen cabinets. My kitchen’s tiny anyway.
I’m doing beadboard cabinets in very light blue on the bottom, and linen Shaker on the top. A couple of the cabinets will be Merillat, and the rest will be matched to those by the cabinetmaker (have to use every inch possible in my kitchen). The pantry will be made by the cabinetmaker.
Who are you using as a cabinet maker? I'm going to put a small kitchen in our basement and was looking around for cabinets, there's Ikea and a few other options when it comes to ready-to-assemble types but might be worth getting an estimate for something more custom (though to be honest the normal sizes end up being fine for what I've laid out).
Old 06-29-2020, 06:19 PM   #2825
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Who are you using as a cabinet maker? I'm going to put a small kitchen in our basement and was looking around for cabinets, there's Ikea and a few other options when it comes to ready-to-assemble types but might be worth getting an estimate for something more custom (though to be honest the normal sizes end up being fine for what I've laid out).

Somebody many kilometres away! Scoopy posted about a cabinet maker further up. (2812) .

In any case, Merillat owns KraftMaid, and I chose Merillat because they have the blue color I wanted and they also have a good selection of sizes or whatever you call it.

Down here KraftMaid is sold at Lowe’s and Home Depot. It’s also sold by some designers. However, Merillat has a line called Masterpiece that is (supposedly) better quality.

I was getting so fed up with the whole process that I almost went with Lowe’s. I asked the designer (just casually) how much space is needed behind a dishwasher. She asked me how it was going to be plumbed. I kinda
thought that might be her department but okay. I said assuming the lines are run from the sink which is how my present dishwasher is plumbed. She asked again, how is it going to be plumbed. And I said, I don’t know. In the layout I’m hoping for I’ll only have about 3” behind the dishwasher to play with. Is that enough room to run hoses like I have now. She slammed her hands down and shook her head.

Then I went to a locally owned shop and ended up with the owner designing my kitchen. We’ll then use the cabinet guy to fabricate what stock Merillat can’t.

I should have gone to the local people to begin with, but I always think they’ll be more expensive. They’re not. And the service is so much better.

Perhaps you meant to ask Scoopy, pho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by missdpuck; 06-29-2020 at 06:38 PM.
missdpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to missdpuck For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 09:00 PM   #2826
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Ran a measuring tape 16 feet down the tube without running into anything and then ran out of length.

Also played music in it and didn't hear it coming out anywhere.

Next step, turn hose on and run it for a couple minutes and see if anything gets wet? I'm starting to think it's probably a drain?

Another photo https://imgur.com/a/hWJNdNl

Last edited by Torture; 06-29-2020 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:55 PM   #2827
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missdpuck View Post
Perhaps you meant to ask Scoopy, pho.
Lol no, I just have teh dumb.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2020, 10:02 AM   #2828
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ran a measuring tape 16 feet down the tube without running into anything and then ran out of length.

Next step, turn hose on and run it for a couple minutes and see if anything gets wet? I'm starting to think it's probably a drain?

Running out of length really sucks
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:22 AM   #2829
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh. That is a weird location then. Was the gate always on that side?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:26 AM   #2830
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Oh. That is a weird location then. Was the gate always on that side?
Judging by old google maps photos it looks like the pathway along the side was added within the past few years so it's possible the gate was added around the same time but TBH I'm not sure.

Maybe they moved the downspout (which you can't see, but it's just on the other side of the gate) at the same time as installing the gate rather than leaving it going into the ground where it was kind of in the way?
Old 06-30-2020, 03:18 PM   #2831
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The only problem with a hose is if water isn't supposed to get in there... although I think you'd probably be OK.

Did you pay attention to which direction the measuring tape went before you ran out of length? I'd walk in that direction to see if I can find the end. If you can't find the end, the water might be a good option and you have have an idea which area to look for a wet spot?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:20 PM   #2832
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Archived Google Street views might be worth looking at also if you can see. Not sure if MLS has photos, maybe the real estate guys on here have access to old photos?
Old 06-30-2020, 05:06 PM   #2833
ryeguy252
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Anyone have experience with bamboo flooring ? Seems like luxury vinyl plank is more popular? But for resale value bamboo is recommended?
ryeguy252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:11 PM   #2834
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
The only problem with a hose is if water isn't supposed to get in there... although I think you'd probably be OK.

Did you pay attention to which direction the measuring tape went before you ran out of length? I'd walk in that direction to see if I can find the end. If you can't find the end, the water might be a good option and you have have an idea which area to look for a wet spot?
Yeah seems to go down and continue toward the backyard or alley (although that's a ways so idk if it goes all the way).

Essentially seems like it goes the same way it enters the ground in the photo.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:34 PM   #2835
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Not sure if this is right thread, but it’s home related stuff, and maybe something that needs to be addressed!

But after the heavy rain the past few days, I’m getting this weird slimy substance all over my front lawn. It’s not dog vomit or waste, as it’s a huge patch over my lawn. It seems to be seeping up through the lawn itself.

Anyone have any idea what this is from, or what it could be?

MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:58 PM   #2836
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Looks like nostoc. It’ll dry and you can move it, won’t hurt anything.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2020, 04:07 PM   #2837
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Looks like nostoc. It’ll dry and you can move it, won’t hurt anything.

Or a result of negative energy like in Ghostbuster 2. Maybe sing to it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2020, 04:54 PM   #2838
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeguy252 View Post
Anyone have experience with bamboo flooring ? Seems like luxury vinyl plank is more popular? But for resale value bamboo is recommended?

no experience with bamboo, but i installed vinyl plank in my shop - the stuff is awesome - i love it! and it was suuuuuper easy to install

Spoiler!
Old 07-01-2020, 04:58 PM   #2839
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

thanks to covid and work being slow (hence i have spare time), my wife suggested i paint the exterior of our house. it's been probably 10 years since i last painted it.

it's coming along nicely and looks soooooo much better! it's amazing how much the sun has faded the paint. a neighbor asked why we chose to go 'darker'... i told him it's actually the original colour!!

IMG_1176 by bc-chris, on Flickr

can't wait for it to be all done!!
Old 07-01-2020, 07:23 PM   #2840
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sun fading? Never heard of her
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote