Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2023, 05:59 PM   #21
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
I thought it got traded to Kelowna??
A quick Google search indicates this is true. Forget that last part. He should get a really good chance in Kelowna to play up the line-up I think.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 07-17-2023 at 06:06 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 09:17 AM   #22
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
His name is spelled wrong on the link (Yaremchuk). Watched Yak play his whole life, was a Brick kid. He was always a very tall dude and appears to be filling out. Beautiful skater for a big guy and always had great hands and just seems to be able to score.

Two other locals are Basha and Elick.

Probably watched every game Bash has played from timbits to Midget. See's the ice well. Head on a swivel since timbits, laser shot as well. Always one of the youngest being a later birthday. I think Grant Point (Brayden's dad) helped mentor/coach him a lot as well.
^Thanks - got Yak's name correctly shortly after posting!

We must have had former NHLer Ken Yaremchuk on the brain!

Love that Basha info! As noted in OP, so intrigued to follow his progress.

I may have watched the WHL draft live the year he got drafted with his Aunt alongside. We were a wee bit excited.
Old 07-18-2023, 02:55 PM   #23
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
I thought he got traded to Kelowna??
Thanks gang - got that updated as well.
Old 07-22-2023, 10:51 AM   #24
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1682759440229978118
Tkachukwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tkachukwagon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2023, 11:08 AM   #25
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

He needs to fulfill his destiny and become a Devil
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2023, 11:59 PM   #26
jjgallow
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Upside has him slotted in the early 3rd round. Of course, being this early, there will likely be a lot of jostling around. If Tij has a really good season, he could rocket up. Seattle is deep at center, but some of those guys could move on before next season giving Iginla a much bigger role on the team. It will be interesting to see his progress.

Flames.....Gotta...draft him somehow lol. They gotta.
jjgallow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jjgallow For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2023, 12:00 AM   #27
jjgallow
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Early indications are a lot of d-men are projected to go in the 1st round.

Looking super strong for D, which is good for us.
jjgallow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jjgallow For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2023, 10:08 AM   #28
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Tomas Suoniemi making a name for himself at the Hlinka-Gretzky.

Hat trick against Canada.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1686040732035919872
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2023, 10:44 PM   #29
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hlinka-Gretzky Tournament Day 1 Thoughts:

Team Canada was beaten 9-6 by Finland. The score was 5-5 with under 9 minutes left in the game, and Canada led 3-1 halfway through the first. Obviously, it's very hard to critique players this young, but Canada was sloppy defensively and didn't get great games from their goalies.

-Captain Berkly Catton led the way offensively for Canada, with a goal and 3 points. I'm a little familiar with this kid, as he had 4 points in 7 games at the U-18's, and he looks like a sure-fire NHLer, as he already plays a mature game with pace. He's skilled, competitive, and plays an energetic 2-way game with a hard forechecking style. He had 55 points in 63 games for Spokane of the WHL this past season.
-Finland Center Tuomas Suoniemi had a hat-trick and 2 assists, and was buzzing around all game, with his stickhandling and speed. He's a bit under the radar, as he wasn't really talked about much before the tournament, and he didn't set the J20 league on fire this past season. I would bet that he had a good day today mostly because Canada was so loosey-goosey, but he's underrated.
-Emil Hemming was pegged as one to watch for Finland, and he had a goal and 4 points today. At 17, he's already 6'2", and had 16 points in 22 U20 League games. He is a good skater, but not a burner, and has good skill with an excellent shot. He's big, but plays more of a skill game- he could afford to use his size more. Pretty raw, I think.
-RW Justin Poirier is Jeremie's little brother, and i mean little- he's 5'8", but he plays much bigger. He's chippy, physical, and drives the net. 48 points in 55 games for Baie-Comeau as a 16 year-old. 1 goal today. Justin might possess a snarl like his older bro, but doesn't possess the same smooth skating ability, as his stride looks short and choppy to me, with not much power.
-Byron Ritchie's son (and nephew to Andreas Johansson), F Ryder Ritchie looked very good today. Only 1 assist, but he showed off his speed, skill, and creativity. He likes to carry the puck. 55 points in 61 games for Prince Albert of the WHL. He's already 6'0", and I would bet on him going in the 1st round of next summer's draft.
-Despite putting up only 1 goal, 6'2"C Cole Beaudoin was named Canada's Player of the Game. I already love this kid- he won't be outworked, wins one-on-one battles, and plays a dominant power-forward style with a tight two-way game. He seemed to be everywhere today, and skates well for a kid his size. Perhaps not the greatest offensive player, but does a lot of the things that need to be done in order to win. 20 points in 63 games for Barrie, as a 16 year-old.
-Another player I already love is RW Porter Martone, who wore an "A" today. He was very impressive at the U-18's, with 6 points in 7 games, and had an assist today. Martone is a 6'3" power-forward who goes to the net hard looking for screens and rebounds, and is excellent along the boards. He's gritty and competitive, moves well, and has an excellent shot and release. Little bit on the invisible side today, but I was looking for him. 35 points in 61 games in the OHL, split between Sarnia and Mississauga.
-RW Maxim Masse was another player who seemed to be on the ice the whole game. Masse was the 2023 recipient of the Michel Bergeron Trophy, as the top offensive rookie in the Q, with an incredible 62 points in 65 games for Chicoutimi. He seems to do everything well, and plays a very well-rounded game. Good stickhandling, shooting, and creativity, but needs a bit of work on his skating. 1st rounder all day long.
-D Frankie Marrelli led the way in points for Canada's D today, with 2 assists. He's only 5'11",but is a fiery competitor, and plays with an enormous chip on his shoulder. He seems to pay close attention to his defensive duties first, but he obviously has some dynamic offensive skills. 16 points in 50 games with the Ottawa 67's.
-Marrelli's teammate on the Ottawa 67's, D Henry Mews, is much more highly touted, being talked about as a potential high first-rounder in the 2024 Draft. Mews was the best D-man for Canada today IMO, and plays a poised, cerebral style. He drives play, and is very well-rounded. I can't help but think of Brandt Clarke here, as Mews plays with speed, has top-tier hockey sense, and is excellent in all situations. 31 points in 55 games this past season for Ottawa of the OHL.
-You may remember C Michael Misa as the kid who was granted exceptional status for the 2022-23 season in the OHL for Saginaw- where he put up 56 points in 45 games. He only just turned 16 in February, and may be the top prospect in the 2025 Draft. No points today, but his skill was evident late in the third when Canada was pressing- he had a few individual efforts in carrying the puck through traffic for a few shots that almost ended up being goals. He was a bit invisible the rest of the game, but he was another player I was looking for.
-D Zayne Parekh wasn't as effective as I expected today, but he's one to watch for next summer's draft. He's a dynamic offensive defenseman who loves to carry the puck, and drive play. Excellent speed, stickhandling, and vision, and he plays a good 200-ft game. Parekh loves to activate, and to shoot- he broke the OHL's record for goals by an U-17 defenseman this past year with 21, and had more goals than assists in the regular season and playoffs. 21 goals and 37 points in 50 games with Saginaw of the OHL.
-D Sam Dickinson wore an "A" today, and had an assist, but was minus-3. He's huge (6'3"), skates well, and can really move the puck. Looking for more from him, as he's yet another potential first-rounder. 23 points in 62 games for London this season.
-I noticed D Mitja Jokinen quite a bit, even though he finished with only 1 assist, and was minus-2. He's very diminutive right now, but he's an excellent skater and loves to carry the puck. Looks like a great puck-mover, and transitional player, but needs to be more attentive in his own zone. He played at the U-18's, with 1 assist in 5 games.
-D Nilopekka Muhonen finished with 1a, +1, and was solid. He's a top prospect on D, being 6'4" with an excellent skating stride, top-notch puck-moving ability, good two-way acumen, and some offensive ability. He's one to watch.
-No Konsta Helenius or Aron Kiviharju for the Finns.

Next up for Canada is Slovakia, tomorrow.

Last edited by Sandman; 08-01-2023 at 02:41 AM.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 07:40 AM   #30
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sandman wasting no time!
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2023, 02:11 AM   #31
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hlinka-Gretzky Thoughts, Day #2:

It's a travesty that the arena in Trencin, Slovakia is named after the late Pavol Demitra. It's an old building, and they were having a huge problem today with a thick fog hanging over the ice- which was also terrible. Luckily, there was no problem seeing the game on TV, but from the vantage point of the cameras behind the nets, you could barely see the players at the point- it was that bad. During stoppages in play, they had fans blowing in the arena that sounded like air-raid sirens. Bush league. Canada beats the home team, Slovakia, 14-4.

-Coaches for Canada switched it up a bit for today's matchup, putting Michael Misa (2025 eligible) on the top line with Berkly Catton and banger Carson Wetsch. Misa responded with 2 goals, and 4 assists, and is now tied for the tournament lead in scoring. Misa is the kid that was granted exceptional status to play in the OHL last season. Misa isn't the fastest, but he's an excellent skater, and he showed today why there was so much hype about him. He's just a dynamic offensive player with supreme skill and vision, and a lightning-quick shot with a deceptive release and pinpoint accuracy. He's a superstar in the making, no doubt about it.
-Ryder Ritchie, son of Byron and nephew to Andreas Johansson, had 3 goals and 2 assists today to put himself in a tie for the tournament lead in scoring. As I said yesterday, Ritchie loves to have the puck on his stick, but I think he could stand to use his teammates more. He was grandstanding a bit today, and obviously it served him well, but he won't get away with that in higher levels. It could be that he's enjoying playing against players so young, too. There was one sequence (and he was doing it yesterday too), where he did a complete circle around the Slovaks zone, but had the puck poke-checked off his stick just inside the blueline, and out of the zone. He then collected the puck in the neutral zone by himself, waited for his teammates to tag up, then charged back into the zone along the wall, cut inside the circle, and fired it top-shelf for a goal. Obviously, he's a gifted player with all the right stuff- skating, shooting, skill, and vision. He battles in the tough areas, and goes to the net with no fear.
-RW Carson Wetsch of the Hitmen will be a fan favorite wherever he goes. He's 6'2", and hits like a mack truck. Today, he launched an opponent into the team Canada bench, and was dishing it out all game. I wouldn't say he's a burner, but he's pretty mobile, and he really keeps his legs pumping. He had a goal and an assist today, and was all over the ice- showing off his work ethic, and taking away all time and space from the Slovaks. He's not without skill, or IQ.
-It's a tourney for players 17 and under, so one can't get too worked up over a player's performance. That said, C Roger McQueen (2025 eligible) reminds me a bit of Jonathan Toews at this level. He was Canada's Player of the Game today, with 2 goals, 2 assists, and a plus-5- centering the second line. Incredibly, he's only 16 and already 6'4", with a powerful, galloping stride. Like Toews, he plays a detailed game, and does all the little things needed to win. He's cerebral, skilled, and takes pride in his defensive game. He goes to the greasy areas and wins pucks, and will bowl a guy over to do it. Uses his size as leverage, and goes to the net. Very good hands and vision. I've become a fan, and will be watching him going forward.
-C Cole Beaudoin was Canada's Player of the Game yesterday, and he had another admirable showing today. 2 assists, and plus-3, and was an absolute stalwart on the PK today. He was dominant in man-down situations, leaving attackers with no time or space to get anything going. There was a few occasions when he actually corralled the point man, and chased him out of the zone with the puck, forcing his opponents' teammates to tag-up and re-set. He also seemed to deny countless entries, and he blocks shots. He's 6'2", skates well, and will not be outworked or outmuscled. It's a young man's tourney, but it's hard to not love this kid.
-Captain Berkly Catton centered the top line again, and produced 2 goals, and a plus-3. He'll be a first-rounder in 2024. He's not big (5'11"), but he has everything you want in a top-6 player- excellent 2-way play, speed, good shot, and top-tier hockey sense. He's already a leader, and plays hard.
-D Charlie Elick is one of those players you don't notice until you check the stats sheet after the game. Today, he led Team Canada with 21:54 TOI, and had a game-high plus-6 (!!), to go with 2 assists. The Calgary product plays a very simple game, eats up minutes, knows his role, and obviously takes pride in his defense. He moves fairly well for a kid who stands 6'3".
-D Henry Mews was again the best D-man for Canada, despite playing the 3rd-most minutes, at 18:44. 3 assists, and plus-3, putting him in first for scoring by D in the tournament. It's very premature to make comparisons to players this young, but like I said yesterday- he reminds me of Brandt Clarke. Very calm and composed, but is a play-driver, and is quite cerebral in his approach. Excellent skater, high IQ, good shot, and plenty of attention to his defensive play.
-RW Justin Poirier (who looks a lot like his older brother Jeremie), is a little ball of energy, and a sparkplug. He's only 5'8", but has a big chip on his shoulder. Despite his size, he's not afraid to attack the net and hack and whack. He will dish out hits, and has no problem competing in the dirty areas. There's plenty of offensive skill here, and some good hands, and he put up a goal and an assist in only 11:12 TOI. Like his older brother, he could use a tune-up in his defensive play, but unlike Jeremie, his stride is a bit short and choppy and in need of more power. He likes to show off his hard, accurate shot.
-D Sam Dickinson was impressive again today, with 2 assists and a plus-4, while wearing the "A". Dickinson is an excellent two-way player, with good mobility- especially for a kid who stands 6'3". He keeps his game simple, and doesn't activate much in the offensive zone, instead running the play from the point. He's hard-working, physical when he needs to be, and always separates his man from the puck. He has a good breakout pass, and some transitional ability when he sees the opportunity.
-D Zayne Parekh was the 7th D today, and only played 8:40. He was put out on the PP in the first period, but much like Ritchie, I feel like he needs to use teammates more. He was all over the offensive zone, and perhaps not in a good way. He doesn't seem to like quarterbacking the play from the point, and seems to want to pinch for a goal, circling around the zone and forcing his teammates to cover for him. It resulted in at least one egregious turnover. He's an excellent skater and stickhandler, and he loves to shoot- plus, he plays a pretty good 200-ft game. He's still one to watch for the 2024 Draft as a top offensive D.
-RW Maxim Masse' played on the third line, but he was dangerous all game long, and wound up with a goal, an assist, and a plus-2. He's going to have a big year in the Q with Chicoutimi, and will likely be a first-rounder. This past season, he was the recipient of the Michel Bergeron Award, given out to the best offensive rookie in the Q, after piling up 62 points in 65 games. Simply put, he's an offensive weapon-but he still plays a good 200-ft game. I think his skating needs work, but everything else is there- he has supreme skill and vision, stands 6'1", and seems to be equally good at shooting as he is at creating.
-D Frankie Marrelli played the second-most minutes for team Canada, at 20:06, and put up 1 assist and a plus-4. Marrelli is a bit diminutive, at 5'11", but he doesn't back down from anyone. Like Poirier, he has a giant chip on his shoulder, and plays with energy. He's not devoid of offensive skill, but he proved again today that he takes pride in being a good defensive player first. He played in all situations today, and was solid. I would like to see what he does in junior this year, as his offensive game is a bit of a question mark to me- he distributes well, and can shoot, but didn't put up good numbers for the 67's in the regular season this year. My guess is that he was buried on a powerhouse team, but he came through with 7 points in 11 playoff games.
-RW Porter Martone had a goal and an assist in 14:29 today, but finished even in plus/minus. He looked a bit slow today at times, and took a hooking penalty when an opponent beat him. I think he's got a good top speed in a straight line, but needs work on his acceleration and short-area quickness. At his best, Martone is a 6'3" power-forward with skill who goes to the net, and uses his size and strength to bull his way around the ice. He's dominant along the boards, and has a good shot and release.
-I used to be a fan of F Branko Radivojevic, so I watched his son, D Luka Radivojevic for Slovakia. The younger Radivojevic is only 5'10", and had a "meh" game, with no points and a minus-4- though he played a team-high 21:48. He looks to be a good skater with offensive instincts, and he puts effort into his defensive duties. He's not eligible to be drafted until 2025, though- so he has plenty of runway.
-If there was a Slovakian player to be impressed with, it would definitely be C Tomas Pobezal, who isn't draft-eligible until 2025. Goal and 2 assists in 18:48 TOI. Pobezal had a game-high 5 shots (tied with Poirier), and those shots are hard and accurate with a nice release. He's not huge right now (5'10"), but he skates well and isn't afraid of the danger areas.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2023, 02:12 AM   #32
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hlinka Gretzky Tournament Day 3 Thoughts, Canada vs. Switzerland, from Aug.2nd (I'm 2 days late):

-The first line of Misa (2a)-Catton (2g)-Wetsch (1a) were stars again today, but the second line of Beaudoin (1g/1a)-McQueen (1g)-Ritchie (2a) were just as good. Canada wins 5-0, but the Swiss played a pretty good game. They had a lot of grit and speed today, and played fairly good defense despite the score. Pretty mean, chippy game from both teams today.
-Can't say enough about Catton- he might be the best player in the tournament. A tournament with players this young is much more wide open than the typical junior game, but Catton plays with maturity and poise. Responsible in all facets of the game. Fast with good hands and vision, and an intelligent off-puck game.
-Misa is a 2025 eligible, and he's supremely skilled with outlandish hockey sense. He's quite good along the boards, too- and plays effectively from the half-boards on the PP.
-D Charlie Elick had the most ice-time again today, and he was fantastic. Best D on the ice, despite no points, and he's had a fantastic tournament. He's 6'3", skates very well, and is a very dependable player in all 3 zones, especially defensively. He's got an excellent shot, but has some trouble getting it through traffic, or on net. He's perhaps not going to be the biggest points-producer, but he's good at distributing from the blueline, and has shown himself to be very adept at keeping play alive in the offensive zone- nullifying many clearing attempts in this tourney. Today, he was activating a bit more off the rush, and roaming a bit more in search of scoring plays. Elick is also a native Calgarian.
-Elick's D partner, Henry Mews had no points, but along with Ryder Ritchie, was tied with a game-high +3. After games today on August 4th, Mews (7 points) is the highest-scoring D in the tournament, 2 points up on the next highest-scoring D-man, Sweden's Leo Sallin Welenius- with 5 points. Mews is calm and poised in all areas, highly skilled, drives play, and sees the ice better than most of his peers. He will undoubtedly be a high pick in 2024.
-D Sam Dickinson had the third-most TOI for Canada (21:59), and is cut from a similar cloth as Elick- although I think Dickinson has more offensive chops, and will activate a bit more. He's 6'3" as well, possesses good mobility, and is a dependable minute-muncher. He too has an excellent point shot, but his is more accurate, and more likely to find it's way through to the net.
-Really, really like C Roger McQueen. It's so hard to believe that's he's not draft-eligible until 2025. He's 16, and already 6'4" with good mobility. He understands the C position better than most kids in his age group, and does all the little things to help his team win. As of August 4th, he's tied for 7th in tournament scoring, and first in plus/minus with +10. Good two-way C, and can play a physical game.
-C/W Cole Beaudoin had 1g/1a today, with a +2 in 17:42 TOI. He's big and hard-nosed, and does a lot of the heavy-lifting. Won't be outworked or outmuscled, and does all the little things.
-D Anthony Cristoforo played less than 7 minutes, and was pretty shaky with the puck. He's only 5'11", and seems to lose a lot of the 50/50 battles. He has plenty of offensive skill and skates very well, but needs work on his decision-making, and defensive game. 41 points in 63 games for Windsor of the OHL last season, so he'll be around a ppg this year, and may be a first-rounder.
-D Ben Danford has been playing third-pairing, and has been virtually invisible- which might be a good thing. When I have noticed him, it's because of a timely stick-lift, poke check. or intercepted pass. Solid, but not spectacular, at least in this tourney.
-C Cayden Lindstrom has been noticeable, mostly because he's 6'5" and has impressive mobility. Lindstrom was one of 4 nominees for the WHL's Rookie of the Year Award, but ultimately lost to Ryder Ritchie. Lindstrom uses his size well in board battles, and to separate man from puck, and he can also dish out the odd hit. He's been playing bottom-6 minutes, so he hasn't had many opportunities to unleash his laser shot, but he shows flashes of being an excellent two-way player. Keep an eye on him.
-D Frankie Marrelli played the 4th-most minutes today, and has quietly been very effective for Team Canada. He's smallish, but plays with heart, and pays attention to his defensive duties.
-RW Porter Martone had no points, but was a more of a physical force today. He's another 6'3" power forward who is not devoid of mobility or skill.
-RW Maxim Masse has been one of Canada's top offensive contributors, despite playing mainly on the 4th line. He had another goal today, and only 11:04 TOI. Excellent hands and vision, but I think he needs a bit of work on his skating, defensive play, and consistency.
-D Zayne Parekh didn't play much again, with only 9:40 TOI. He's one of the team's best skaters, and is brimming with offensive skill. He set an OHL record last year for goals by a 16 year-old D, with 21, and is projected to go high in the 2024 Draft. I think he's too much of a rover at this point, and plays a pond hockey style with not enough usage of his teammates- or so it would seem, in this tournament. His skill and skating are undeniable, though.
-RW Justin Poirier had no points in only 10:18 TOI. Again, he was chippy and physical, despite being only 5'8". Needs work on his defensive coverage, and his skating.
-W Ryder Ritchie was again one of the best players on the ice. 2 assists, +3 in 16:23 TOI. He's 6'0", and still growing, and has everything you want in a top-6 forward- he can stickhandle in a phone booth, outskate defenders and beat them wide, excellent hands, good shot with deceptiveness, and vision.
-LW Malcolm Spence was very noticeable today, weaving through traffic with his speed. 1 assist and +1, with 3 shots in 16:39 TOI. He's quietly had a point in each game, and his ice-time has increased in each contest. He's another 2025 Draft-eligible, who put up 42 points in 64 games for the Erie Otters. He's obviously fast and a very good stickhandler, with good hands around the net and playmaking ability. He was buzzing around the ice at times today.
-W Carson Wetsch is an energetic, 6'2" banger with good mobility, and a killer work-ethic. He's been riding shotgun on the top line with Misa and Catton, which shows that he's not without offensive ability. Another assist today,+1, and 2 shots.

Last edited by Sandman; 08-05-2023 at 02:39 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2023, 02:35 AM   #33
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hlinka Gretzky Tournament Thoughts, Aug.5th:

-Canada and Czechia will play for Gold on Saturday, and USA/Finland for bronze after games on Friday. Canada has been dominant in the history of the Hlinka, and we're going for our 24th Gold.
-Canada beat USA, 7-2. Catton had 2g/1a, while Masse had 2g.
-USA's Trevor Connelly has been getting rave reviews, and appearing on highlights, with 8 points in 4 games. He looks like an amazing skater with good hands, Reminds me of another Trevor- Trevor Zegras.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2023, 07:44 PM   #34
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Connelly did look very good at the Hlinka.

But apparently a red flag on him, that might be a PR headache for the team selecting him. Teams will have to do their research on him and hopefully something he learns from and he turns out more remorseful than Mitchell Miller.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1686429034198999040

https://twitter.com/user/status/1686481430228987904
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2023, 07:43 PM   #35
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why would a Jewish teammate be posing in front of a swastika?

And who is Grant McCagg? Rick Westhead wannabe?
Old 08-06-2023, 09:27 PM   #36
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I know it was discussed briefly in this thread but I think it would be such a cool story if the flames ended up drafting Taj Iginla.

There are a lot of reasons why it would probably not be the best thing for the kid to have to follow a legacy like his dad’s on this team. I would totally understand if the team decided not to draft him and he got picked up by another team. It’s probably the smart move for all considered.

However… despite all of that… the fan in me can’t help but hope to see an amazing moment where Jerome steps up to the podium and gets to call his son’s name to come up and put on a flames sweater. Moment’s like that are so rare in any sport (for lots of legit reasons) but it would be such a cool story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2023, 09:40 PM   #37
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Why would a Jewish teammate be posing in front of a swastika?

And who is Grant McCagg? Rick Westhead wannabe?
McCagg is a former Montreal scout. Former seems appropriate with some of his #### takes on Twitter or whatever the #### it's called now.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2023, 07:37 AM   #38
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Catton sure looked like his projected high pick self, he’s that Swiss Army knife forward who loves to get the flashy goals but also parks in front of the net and garbage man’s it up.

Misa was a little underwhelming but you could see the skill and ability, he’s also super young so I expect him to improve drastically next year.

Good tournament this year, lots of entertaining games.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2023, 10:34 PM   #39
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Catton sure looked like his projected high pick self, he’s that Swiss Army knife forward who loves to get the flashy goals but also parks in front of the net and garbage man’s it up.

Misa was a little underwhelming but you could see the skill and ability, he’s also super young so I expect him to improve drastically next year.

Good tournament this year, lots of entertaining games.
Did you mean to type "Masse'", instead of "Misa"? Misa was 3rd in scoring for Canada, and tied for 7th in the Tourney with 8 points in 5 games- after no points in the first game, when he was playing down the lineup. This, for a 2007 born player. He looked excellent to me.

Masse' was tied for 12th in the tournament in scoring, with 5 goals and 6 points in 5 games, playing mostly 4th-line minutes; however, his defensive commitment seemed to wane, as did his consistency. I still see an elite offensive player, who needs work on his overall game as well as some elements of his skating.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2023, 06:59 AM   #40
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Did you mean to type "Masse'", instead of "Misa"? Misa was 3rd in scoring for Canada, and tied for 7th in the Tourney with 8 points in 5 games- after no points in the first game, when he was playing down the lineup. This, for a 2007 born player. He looked excellent to me.

Masse' was tied for 12th in the tournament in scoring, with 5 goals and 6 points in 5 games, playing mostly 4th-line minutes; however, his defensive commitment seemed to wane, as did his consistency. I still see an elite offensive player, who needs work on his overall game as well as some elements of his skating.
Nope, Misa for sure though his point totals were team 3rd I just felt in my viewing he struggled a bit as the games got harder, not for a lack of trying but I had him pegged as the top scorer in the tournament going into it and a guy you’d want on the ice when it mattered.

He was up and down the lineup, but you aren’t wrong he did really well early on I guess I just was hoping he’d keep that rolling the whole time, but also likely expecting too much on my part.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft