Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 167 17.06%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 277 28.29%
He should not and will not be fired 288 29.42%
He should not but will be fired 27 2.76%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 37 3.78%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 183 18.69%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2021, 09:03 PM   #1021
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
How does this differentiate Treliving from any other GM? They all make mistakes that cost millions of dollars.
And these aren’t negligent mistakes like failing to know the CBA or something. They are strategies that didn’t work out for one reason or another, and that were taken because the GM thought they were the right thing to do.

Treliving may pay the price for a general lack of success, but not for individual mistakes like that.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2021, 09:12 PM   #1022
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
How does this differentiate Treliving from any other GM? They all make mistakes that cost millions of dollars.

Of course it’s the internet so we all take a piss out if each other

But you surely can not deny that Tre has distinguished himself with his coach metrics (head coaches / yr)
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:20 PM   #1023
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
And these aren’t negligent mistakes like failing to know the CBA or something. They are strategies that didn’t work out for one reason or another, and that were taken because the GM thought they were the right thing to do.

Treliving may pay the price for a general lack of success, but not for individual mistakes like that.
Exactly. In the field of a registered professional, whether it is law, medicine, engineering, or architecture, one is held to a reasonable standard of care. Does an individual act to the same level of care that his/her peers would have. Murray Edwards, who has a law degree, would know this.

Treliving will very likely be shown the door eventually but, to date, it won’t be because of negligence or incompetence. He has done his job and then some, in my mind.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:24 PM   #1024
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Of course it’s the internet so we all take a piss out if each other

But you surely can not deny that Tre has distinguished himself with his coach metrics (head coaches / yr)
Sure. We can question his selections, I won’t argue that, but I can also understand his thought process behind each one. It’s not like he hired his buddy who has been coaching junior B for the last decade.

Honestly, what would have been the reaction if Treliving hired rookie head coach Jarrod Bednar, or recycled coach Craig Berube?

Last edited by TOfan; 03-05-2021 at 09:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2021, 09:25 PM   #1025
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Its actually 5 coaches in 5 years.

Though some apparently "don't care"...just to get that out of the way.
5 coaches in 5 years?

Are you talking about Treliving?

This is his 4th coaching hire by my count.

1st one (Gulutzan) was a HUGE dud. A total flub

2nd one (Peters) led the team to 2nd overall in the NHL, got fired for something completely out of Treliving's control and had to be replaced mid season, so Treliving gave the interim tag to a very sharp, in house assistant

3rd hire (Ward) was another bad hire by Treliving, because although Ward had a decent record as the interim, he really dropped the ball during the Dallas series, especially at the end

Credit to Treliving, and Flames ownership for righting that wrong just 20-some games into a 2 year contract. And thank goodness Sutter decided to come out of retirement to take the job.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2021, 09:26 PM   #1026
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Sure. We can question his selections, I won’t argue that, but I can also understand his thought process behind each one. It’s not like he hired his buddy who has been coaching junior B for the last decade.

Yes and many people outlined the risks of each one. Many of which materialized, although Peters threw in a wild card bonus lower probability risk that wasn’t projected but did materialize
Old 03-05-2021, 09:27 PM   #1027
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Exactly. In the field of a registered professional, whether it is law, medicine, engineering, or architecture, one is held to a reasonable standard of care. Does an individual act to the same level of care that his/her peers would have. Murray Edwards, who has a law degree, would know this.

Treliving will very likely be shown the door eventually but, to date, it won’t be because of negligence or incompetence. He has done his job and then some, in my mind.
Right. I’m a lawyer, and we get sued if we miss a limitation date, because it’s basic and you have to know it. But if I’m wrong about a trial strategy that doesn’t pay off, it’s not something I can be sued over. If I lose over and over and over again, people won’t hire me.

Edwards was at my former firm but he took off to make money before I started there. But I did have dealings with him because he continued to use the firm for things, and I was very involved with him when he acquired Lake Louise and the related resorts out of CCAA.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:28 PM   #1028
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Yes and many people outlined the risks of each one. Many of which materialized, although Peters threw in a wild card bonus lower probability risk that wasn’t projected but did materialize
There’s risks with every coach. If there’s a polished gem out there, by all means, let us know.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:28 PM   #1029
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
5 coaches in 5 years?

Are you talking about Treliving?

This is his 4th coaching hire by my count.

1st one (Gulutzan) was a HUGE dud. A total flub

2nd one (Peters) led the team to 2nd overall in the NHL, got fired for something completely out of Treliving's control and had to be replaced mid season, so Treliving gave the interim tag to a very sharp, in house assistant

3rd hire (Ward) was another bad hire by Treliving, because although Ward had a decent record as the interim, he really dropped the ball during the Dallas series, especially at the end

Credit to Treliving, and Flames ownership for righting that wrong just 20-some games into a 2 year contract. And thank goodness Sutter decided to come out of retirement to take the job.
Maybe some are counting his extension of Hartley, which I think he didn’t really want to do, but the PO win and Adams trophy kind of forced it.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:31 PM   #1030
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe some are counting his extension of Hartley, which I think he didn’t really want to do, but the PO win and Adams trophy kind of forced it.
Ah I see.

And I agree with you, I don't think Treliving wanted to extend Hartley, but making the playoffs, winning a round, an winning the Jack Adams definitely forced his hand.

As soon as the team back slid he was shown the door.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2021, 09:34 PM   #1031
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Honestly, what would have been the reaction if Treliving hired rookie head coach Jarrod Bednar, or recycled coach Craig Berube?
If anything, Treliving was going the way of a number of successful teams like Boston, TB, Pitt, who all went with guys with pretty limited NHL HC experience ( admittedly their minor or junior success was better than Ward or GG). And there were plenty of people even here who chanted “no retreads” at the time of the GG hire especially.

I think with the players’ commitment in question he had to go with a big name and boy did he ever.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2021, 09:35 PM   #1032
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ah I see.

And I agree with you, I don't think Treliving wanted to extend Hartley, but making the playoffs, winning a round, an winning the Jack Adams definitely forced his hand.

I wonder who would have been hired but for the miracle success that year. Who was even available? Or would it have been GG one year earlier.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:36 PM   #1033
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
There’s risks with every coach. If there’s a polished gem out there, by all means, let us know.

Not my job. I don’t hire them

And not really the point
Old 03-05-2021, 09:42 PM   #1034
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Right. I’m a lawyer, and we get sued if we miss a limitation date, because it’s basic and you have to know it. But if I’m wrong about a trial strategy that doesn’t pay off, it’s not something I can be sued over. If I lose over and over and over again, people won’t hire me.

Edwards was at my former firm but he took off to make money before I started there. But I did have dealings with him because he continued to use the firm for things, and I was very involved with him when he acquired Lake Louise and the related resorts out of CCAA.
Interesting. Too bad he didn’t, or maybe wasn’t able to, do something with Lake Louise. Whenever I get the chance to go to Whistler, it leaves me wondering what could be....
Old 03-05-2021, 09:46 PM   #1035
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
If anything, Treliving was going the way of a number of successful teams like Boston, TB, Pitt, who all went with guys with pretty limited NHL HC experience ( admittedly their minor or junior success was better than Ward or GG). And there were plenty of people even here who chanted “no retreads” at the time of the GG hire especially.

I think with the players’ commitment in question he had to go with a big name and boy did he ever.
At the risk of being labeled a heretic, I completely understand the GG hire. It didn’t work out, obviously, but I don’t think Treliving’s intentions were misplaced.
The Following User Says Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2021, 09:53 PM   #1036
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Interesting. Too bad he didn’t, or maybe wasn’t able to, do something with Lake Louise. Whenever I get the chance to go to Whistler, it leaves me wondering what could be....
It’s only the ski hill he owned. And I’m not sure he still has it - the original owner Charlie Locke reacquired some of the properties. And of course, the national park has a lot to do with development (or lack thereof).
Old 03-05-2021, 10:02 PM   #1037
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It’s only the ski hill he owned. And I’m not sure he still has it - the original owner Charlie Locke reacquired some of the properties. And of course, the national park has a lot to do with development (or lack thereof).
I have some work with Parks Canada. I have to say it’s pretty disappointing to see first hand how our tax dollars are being spent. It is actually unbelievable. Probably a discussion for another thread though,
Old 03-05-2021, 10:15 PM   #1038
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have some work with Parks Canada. I have to say it’s pretty disappointing to see first hand how our tax dollars are being spent. It is actually unbelievable. Probably a discussion for another thread though,
We should have this discussion. I'm all for preservation of our natural wonders but these bureaucrats are in a league of their own.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2021, 10:16 PM   #1039
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Ah I see.

This almost appears to be a pattern: it looks to me like Treliving is committed to rewarding achievement, even if it is not his first choice to do so. Did tbe same thing happen with Ward? The way that both Sutter and Treliving were talking today it sure sounded as though this is something that has been in the works for months.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:22 PM   #1040
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ah I see.

Should have been brutal like Masai firing Coach of the year Dwayne Casey, trading for a star, then winning the cup with a rookie coach.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote