Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 167 17.06%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 277 28.29%
He should not and will not be fired 288 29.42%
He should not but will be fired 27 2.76%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 37 3.78%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 183 18.69%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2021, 11:14 PM   #81
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The product speaks for itself

A bad team with no future

BT has to go. Sooner the better.

Bring someone new to rebuild

BT has no clue what a good team looks like
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:15 PM   #82
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
What's Tre prepared to do to save the season or his job? I would bring in a real coach asap and see if we can get more out of the players. At the very least a competent coach can focus on stability and winning games.
I really hope Tre doesn't start making desperation trades to try and save his job. That's a recipe for losing every deal, especially under covid circumstances.

Whoever's choice it was to give Ward the job permanently, I can't see them being willing to fire him before the first season of his new deal is even half over.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 11:16 PM   #83
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Right but even they made pretty good sense at 4th line prices. We’ve always complained we spend too much on bottom line players (or guys who end up there). Stajan, Ryan, etc.
Agreed. Although I do like what Ryan brings to the team for the most part, Stajan as well. With the only caveat is the hope Simon and/Leivo expecting to make a contribution to the top 6. I get Simon played with Crosby occasionally, so I get the reasoning. As well as the potential in Leivo, whom had an injury and also the PK attributes of Nordstrom.

I get hindsight is 2020, however if one continues to make inferior decisions and moves, no matter if it was initially heralded to be a decent one, they should pay the price. In this case, he should bear the brunt of all of his combined failures. Coaching. Free agent work. Trades. Etc etc.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:16 PM   #84
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I really hope Tre doesn't start making desperation trades to try and save his job. That's a recipe for losing every deal, especially under covid circumstances.

Whoever's choice it was to give Ward the job permanently, I can't see them being willing to fire him before the first season of his new deal is even half over.

Not embarrass enough after tonight?
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:19 PM   #85
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Old 02-20-2021, 11:21 PM   #86
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chucky, good interview. Sounds like one of us.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:21 PM   #87
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I am for a different hire, but it has to makes sense. Who would you guys want to hire as replacement?
I am thinking that not many coaches would want to risk their reputation coaching a team that has zero desire to play.
Might get Keenan back, but I would bet that a top tier coach would pass on this team at the moment.
wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:21 PM   #88
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have our money goalie lined up for 5 more years (hoping his play does not decline).

So once you decide Tre is not the guy to re-build from there he needs to go.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:23 PM   #89
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
We have our money goalie lined up for 5 more years (hoping his play does not decline).

So once you decide Tre is not the guy to re-build from there he needs to go.
Yeah, no more burning up years of star contracts.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:25 PM   #90
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
I am thinking that not many coaches would want to risk their reputation coaching a team that has zero desire to play.
Might get Keenan back, but I would bet that a top tier coach would pass on this team at the moment.
Done Keenan how about Ted Nolan.
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:26 PM   #91
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I am for a different hire, but it has to makes sense. Who would you guys want to hire as replacement?
Think the real question is what established coach would want to come to Calgary and have their career ruined by this group of snowflakes?
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 11:27 PM   #92
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
What is spent on players is public domain. So fans get mad about ticket prices and such when the on ice spend is not matching up against what we have to pay. It's optics and PR.

Whereas the back office is a mystery to us. The team doesn't have to tell us contracts and terms. But we know they have taken passes on top people in favour of unproven people.

I agree that it doesn't add up.
Maybe ownership and BT don't think the coach matters much.

There's a number of posters here who have stated coaching is essentially pointless and only the players are responsible for their play, so maybe the teams head office is of that mindset too.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 11:28 PM   #93
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulchoice View Post
I thought there was depth as well, however Nordstrom, Simon and Leivo, who it appeared were supposed to be the depth are minimum salary players whom I am sure, nether player, had that many options for contracts this past offseason.

Scorp was onto something when he suggested we bring up some added skill. The idea of adding middling players is not working. Does this team have an team identity?. What are we, big, skilled fast?? If we can't answer that how can we implement a system that complements the players?
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:29 PM   #94
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wrong thread.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:31 PM   #95
rooster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Maybe ownership and BT don't think the coach matters much.

There's a number of posters here who have stated coaching is essentially pointless and only the players are responsible for their play, so maybe the teams head office is of that mindset too.
Oh man that's brilliant!! Shut the #### up!
rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rooster For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2021, 11:37 PM   #96
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not adding anything that hasn't already been said but I just really struggle with how so many in the fanbase/media continue to treat Treliving like he is a veteran gm with pedigree. He is a capable GM that will no doubt go somewhere else after Calgary and build a playoff calibre team. He might even take what he has learned here and become a great GM in his next stop. What is clear though is he is either unwilling or unable to get this team over the hump. The name bars on the back have changed but the on-ice play remains the same year after year. He has had opportunities to rework the core and he has declined/failed and unfortunately that is on him.

Time to move on and retool from the top down. You have a new building to build towards in a couple years. Let's do it right for once.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:38 PM   #97
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Scorp was onto something when he suggested we bring up some added skill. The idea of adding middling players is not working. Does this team have an team identity?. What are we, big, skilled fast?? If we can't answer that how can we implement a system that complements the players?
The Flames identity is “soft” and has been for a number of years.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:38 PM   #98
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
It doesn't really add up logically though. Why would they be okay with spending on player contracts, going after free agents, spending to the cap, but then hiring a more reputable coach is going to break their bank? I suppose it could be true, but it just doesn't make sense. Isn't the more likely scenario that Treliving just has his vision with what he wants in a coach, and none of them have worked out? I don't think ownership was behind him not interviewing several candidates etc. He seems to just think he knows what makes a good diamond in the rough coach and goes with that.

In other words... he lacks experience on how to build a contender and implement a proper coach! They say some people have to learn the hard way... Whose tires have been spinning for the last 7 years and we have been told it is part of the process..?

Brad should have hired a competent coach when he had the chance because if he did we would be looking at what kinds of players are actually needed to successfully fit the system.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:39 PM   #99
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It’s obvious the Flames don’t want to be a fast, heavy and hard hitting team. Especially being they have a few players who seem to want to play that way. I agree, what is the harm of giving a few skilled players a game or two.

The only issue I can see is that we really don’t have any blue chip offensive skilled players in the system. Phillips perhaps, but who else? As well, why not give Kylington a chance to play on his offside, being he had stated in the past he prefers it. Plus, he played the right side for most of his career prior to the AHL.

The team has been developing Kylington for years. Give the players the best chance to succeed.

Unless there is something in practice they are not liking.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:55 PM   #100
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passe La Puck View Post
His dad makes ####ty pizza as well. #### that family!
I've had some good nights in the before times on "Fishbowl Friday"

Anyway, there's no way Brad gets another coach, right??
Geeoff is online now   Reply With Quote