Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2019, 11:04 AM   #1021
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I also thought Pinder's evaluation of the Keller contract was poor. It's like he didn't know that Keller was a high pedigree player picked one spot behind Tkachuk. It's not Keller's fault he's not been stuck on a low talent team as we all saw what happened to Dylan Strome when he got moved from the Coyotes to a team with some offensive talent.
I just listened to this interview with Toronto radio guy JD Bunkis, and it was quite easily one of the most arrogantly projected pontifications of misinformation I have ever heard. This guy begins by disparaging Flames fans by relating a discussion he had with Calgary MLB pitcher Mike Soroka, and scoffed at notions that David Rittich might be a NHL goaltender, and that Lucic might be better than a replacement player in Calgary. Then he proceeded to declare that the Mitch Marner contract was all but completed, but that Keller's ridiculous overpayment will ensure that Tkachuk does not sign for less than $10 m to stay in Calgary.

Holy hell, what nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:07 AM   #1022
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Commodore is on 960 this morning. They are calling it a PTO. He definitely has more of the Warrener approach with the little I have heard. Lots of "guy talk". Golf talk, advice for Vegas etc.

They had Loubardias on earlier and he thought the Keller contract was preposterous FWIW.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:09 AM   #1023
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wish it was someone that was not all about "guy" talk. Too much of that, especially with so much going on. Maybe occasionally, but with how much is going on in sports this time of year, it should be easy to have stuff to talk about and if your host doesn't know enough about certain sports like NFL, maybe get someone who does.
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colbym72 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 09:09 AM   #1024
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Its been a while so I need to ask.

Has Calgary Puck indeed "taken that"?
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 09:29 AM   #1025
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Commodore is on 960 this morning. They are calling it a PTO. He definitely has more of the Warrener approach with the little I have heard. Lots of "guy talk". Golf talk, advice for Vegas etc.

They had Loubardias on earlier and he thought the Keller contract was preposterous FWIW.
I don't understand the reaction of some to the Keller deal. Am I off the mark to think that this is a pretty good contract for both sides?

Quote:
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 09:37 AM   #1026
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I don't understand the reaction of some to the Keller deal. Am I off the mark to think that this is a pretty good contract for both sides?
I think it's a good bet.

If I'm a team owner I look at getting as many of these done I can, and then understand that you won't be 100% correct in projections.

If Andersson got done now it would be a good bet. Valimaki would be a good one, something tells me Dube might be as well.

But as I said you won't hit on all of them. So you have 5 guys on term that were locked up early that are saving you millions, and another guy that became a bottom roster player that is making $2M mor per year than he should.

You'd still be ahead.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 10:01 AM   #1027
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you subscribe to the theory that the cap may not increase much over the next few years to manage the escrow issue, then you are projecting him to be almost 9% of your cap. If you see it going up because of the US TV deal, then obviously it looks better.

It's a pretty big bet for a player with 14 goals last year. Considering the team did the deal a year early, they should have earned a discount for that. IMO Keller didn't sacrifice much upside by signing this deal early. I think the team could have gotten a better discount by doing the deal at this time after his production from last year.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:25 AM   #1028
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Loubo still subscribes to the thought that you have to earn your contract and not be payed what your worth. Playing in the NHL is a gift etc etc. He doesn't understand the market anymore.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:26 AM   #1029
Toonage

Exp:

I'm starting to sour on Lou. Anyone else beginning to feel this way?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 10:32 AM   #1030
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Its been a while so I need to ask.

Has Calgary Puck indeed "taken that"?
Considering that the original context of the "take that" was in the sense of "here's a small bit of information that Calgarypuck can 'take' and run wild with speculation about", and there are over 1000 posts in this thread, I'd say the answer is yes.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:37 AM   #1031
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I'm starting to sour on Lou. Anyone else beginning to feel this way?
I think he is still a really good analyst of the game, but insofar as the off ice stuff is concerned Loubardias's opinion becomes less and less meaningful.

Quote:
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 10:38 AM   #1032
Toonage

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Considering that the original context of the "take that" was in the sense of "here's a small bit of information that Calgarypuck can 'take' and run wild with speculation about", and there are over 1000 posts in this thread, I'd say the answer is yes.
I saw it as more of a threat that some big change was impending that would set our collective nose out of joint.

Nothing has changed.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:40 AM   #1033
Toonage

Exp:

Quote:
I think he is still a really good analyst of the game, but insofar as the off ice stuff is concerned Loubardias's opinion becomes less and less meaningful.
He seems to get needlessly argumentative, and as has been pointed out just can't seem to separate the player from the person.

I guess he's just starting to rub me the wrong way, and where I used to look forward to hearing from him I now get a "what now" feel when he's on.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 10:42 AM   #1034
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
If you subscribe to the theory that the cap may not increase much over the next few years to manage the escrow issue, then you are projecting him to be almost 9% of your cap. If you see it going up because of the US TV deal, then obviously it looks better.

It's a pretty big bet for a player with 14 goals last year. Considering the team did the deal a year early, they should have earned a discount for that. IMO Keller didn't sacrifice much upside by signing this deal early. I think the team could have gotten a better discount by doing the deal at this time after his production from last year.
Yeah, it seems like they are counting on a huge jump in production from him. That may or may not be justified, but as it is he's paid like a 30 goal/70 point guy at least, when he's come nowhere near that so far. So I can see how some observers are a little surprised.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:05 AM   #1035
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't usually listen to the morning show because I ain't awake until it's over and then I get into podcasts until the afternoon shows and then it's old news.

But the last week, with no more Prime Time Sports, nothing on The Lede or 31 Thoughts, I've been giving the morning show podcast a listen right about 10.

Soooo, the Flames are #1 in this town and the morning show guys didn't take the time to watch a YouTube video of the Red Deer prospects game?

Commodore's voice is too loud to be paired with Boomer. When they talk over each other, I can barely hear him.

Krahn, last week was good. He works well in the format, and comes across better than he ever did as an afternoon guest, usually to discuss goaltending, but the hosts would just degrade him the whole time.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:49 PM   #1036
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
He seems to get needlessly argumentative, and as has been pointed out just can't seem to separate the player from the person.

I guess he's just starting to rub me the wrong way, and where I used to look forward to hearing from him I now get a "what now" feel when he's on.
These have been my exact thoughts for the last 5-6 years.
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikeecho For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 11:51 AM   #1037
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Now that it has been a week with Commodore's PTO on the morning show, I wanted to ask daily listeners (like myself) on their thoughts of Krahn Vs. Commodore?

Maybe it needs a new thread or a poll....?

Personally, I like Krahn's personality better, but I think Commodore has better stories and insights into the NHL. I loved his KHL stories along with talking about buyouts.

....But I also liked Krahn talking to Conroy last week.
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:54 AM   #1038
Toonage

Exp:

Krahn is more fun, like you said, more of a morning show personality.

I like Commodore, but how can they make fun of James Neal or Mike Smith if her's there? Won't work.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:58 AM   #1039
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Krahn is more fun, like you said, more of a morning show personality.

I like Commodore, but how can they make fun of James Neal or Mike Smith if her's there? Won't work.
Like this: “hey insider, what’s mike Smith think about the 7 softies he let in last night?”
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:59 AM   #1040
BeltlineFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I preferred Krahn overall, I think he could fill more of a Pinder/Warrener hybrid role. Commodore would fit squarely into a Warrener role.

Although, I was pleasantly surprised by Commodore and wouldn't be too upset with either choice.
BeltlineFan is offline   Reply With Quote