Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Recovering something deleted in Windows

Is it possible to get something that was deleted from the recycling bin? I have googled around a bit and there seems to be a few options but do they work? How far back will a program like this go back? Any that can recover any type of file?

Windows Vista I think and it's a laptop, not mine so it could be XP.

Any help appreciated!
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:24 PM   #2
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Recuva from Piriform might do the trick.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

On Vista, shadow copies should be enabled by default - if you right click on the folder where the file USED to be (before moving it to the recycle bin), choose properties, and go to the previous versions tab, you may be able to roll the folder back to before the deletion.

You can also navigate into the folder where the file used to be, right click on empty space and select properties too, that’s a less confusing way of describing where to navigate for inexperienced users.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #4
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

another trick that i have sometimes had success with in vista is to search the name of the file off of the start menu.

sometimes...just sometimes...the person has saved the file more than once or else it is in a temp file or some other directory or...

what always kills me is that you can delete something and never get it back, and yet there are a million warnings about how anyone can get your data after you have formatted a hard drive and done lots of other things to it to erase your data.

it just doesn't seem right somehow.

good luck!
Old 09-08-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

http://lifehacker.com/5237503/five-b...recovery-tools
Old 09-08-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
On Vista, shadow copies should be enabled by default - if you right click on the folder where the file USED to be (before moving it to the recycle bin), choose properties, and go to the previous versions tab, you may be able to roll the folder back to before the deletion.
Did they change this in Window 7? I always assume the same thing but when I tried to restore something on my windows 7 machine at work, it was off.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Did they change this in Window 7? I always assume the same thing but when I tried to restore something on my windows 7 machine at work, it was off.
It’s on by default in my installs direct off technet DVD’s...maybe your work admins turned it off via group policy?
Old 09-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #8
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Problem is he doesn't know all the names of the files. It was just a deletion of a folder he didn't want to delete. I'll check out those products.
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #9
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
It’s on by default in my installs direct off technet DVD’s...maybe your work admins turned it off via group policy?
I am the work admin, well the junior one at least.

I don't think our GP turns it off, but it could be in the mess of default settings in SBS 2008 that we just migrated to and we have yet to go through to tweak.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:33 AM   #10
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

If too much time has passed, unfortunately those files are likely overwritten already, especially if it's on his main harddrive. Even the act of browsing the internet and downloading files like those programs to the same harddrive that the deleted files existed on very likely overwrites whatever was left.

If I ever accidentally delete something, I stop doing everything and run my undelete programs and hope that the space where the file used to be was not overwritten.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote