Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-28-2018, 07:11 AM   #1
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default You Nieder worry, there is a Silfver lining

A Monday morning trade with Buffalo sees two more Sharks head out the door. It looks like there is a complete overhaul underway in San Jose.

To Buffalo:
Nino Niederreiter
Jakob Silfverberg

To San Jose:
Anthony Mantha
Alex Iafallo
2019 2nd

The Sharks have been busy beefing up the blueline but it has come at a cost because we have a lot of money tied up there right now. That put us in a bit of a difficult spot heading into free agency.

So we decided to part ways with a couple RFA's and bring in a a couple of players that are still on ELC with a low cap hit.

We like Mantha's production in the NHL and he outproduced both Niederreiter and Silfverberg. We are not sure who the heck Iafallois but at the very least he played a full season in the NHL so perhaps he will rate high enough to be a 4th liner. Adding a 2nd is nice.

Thanks SportsJunky for the easy trade talks.
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MJK For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2018, 08:53 AM   #2
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I didn't want to give up Mantha as I see him rating up for sure this season plus he's younger. Iafallo is a wild card. He played most of the season in LA on the top line and yet only amassed 25 points. If they give him PP time this year in LA he may pile up some points. I'm not sure what he is but I figured he is a couple of seasons away yet from finding out. Plus, I signed him for free as a college free agent so it's a nice flip.

As far as Niederreiter and Silfverberg, I needed more hard-to-spell names on the team. Actually, they are both RFA, relatively young and didn't have the best of seasons last year. I'm hoping to lock them up relatively cheaply for the next 3 years.

Thanks Dave.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post: