Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2017, 02:42 PM   #161
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Players I would love to see make it to Calgary Flames roster this season: Jankowski, Spencer Foo, Rasmus Andersson.

On the bubble I think: Garnet Hathaway, Hunter Shinkaruk, Tyler Wotherspoon, Kulak, Bartkowski.

I think I am happy with our Top 9: Monahan-Gaudreau-Ferland, Backlund-Frolik-Tkatchuk, Bennett-Lazar-Versteeg. I am okay with Brouwer on the 4th line but as much as I like Stajan because he is a nice guy, it is time to let him go put some fresh young blood in this team.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:42 PM   #162
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames do have 6 top six forwards, maybe 7. It's just they play on the left side and at C.

All of Versteeg, Monahan, Backlund, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Frolik and Bennett (although he produced like a 3rd liner last year) could fall in that category.

The top 180 scoring forwards = top 6 forwards. The first six are all in that category. Bennett, Ferland and Brouwer came in at 218, and 223 for the latter two.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:05 PM   #163
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

From Aaron Vickers:

Gulutzan said Giordano tested higher across the board on fitness testing compared to his numbers last year...and Frolik topped him.

Gulutzan cautioned us though...tests were weighted differently. Some friendly debate in the room over who the true champ is.

Gulutzan said 90% of the returning NHLers put up better numbers in testing.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2017, 03:12 PM   #164
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
The top 180 scoring forwards = top 6 forwards. The first six are all in that category.
Are the top 30 scoring centres therefore #1 centres? IMO, it's a good starting point for answering the question, but I don't think it's definitive.

I like what Verteeg brought last year, particularly for his salary, but I don't think he's a #1 or #2 line winger in the league anymore, and wasn't played in that role for the Flames last year.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2017, 03:13 PM   #165
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
Since I'm so out to lunch here - how many goals are you guys projecting from Foo? Lazar? Stajan? Jankowski? Where does the depth scoring come from?
Just for kicks, here's my knee jerk goal projections (guesses)

Gaudreau 20/25 - Monahan 25/30 - Ferland 15/20
Tkachuk 15/20 - Backlund 15/20 - Frolik 10/15
Versteeg 10/15 - Bennett 10/15 - Brouwer 10/15
Hamilton 0/5 - Stajan 0/5 - Lazar 0/5
Jankowski and other call-ups - 0/5 over the season

Forward goals - Low side would be 160, let's say 165.

Giordano 10/15 - Hamilton 10/15
Brodie 5/10 - Hamonic 5/10
Kulak 0/5 - Stone 0/5
7th D -0/5 over the season

Defensemen goals - low side would be 40, let's say 42.

Total GF: 207

Seems reasonable? Most guesses are on the low side. If the team takes a step forward and plays more consistently (especially from the start of the season), 225 GF seems entirely doable. It would just take a forward or two to hit the high side of their range and perhaps the PP to be a little better.

207 would rank us 22nd in the 15-16 season. 225 GF (an improvement of 3 from last season) would put us right in the middle of the pack last season.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:53 PM   #166
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
Are the top 30 scoring centres therefore #1 centres? IMO, it's a good starting point for answering the question, but I don't think it's definitive.

I like what Verteeg brought last year, particularly for his salary, but I don't think he's a #1 or #2 line winger in the league anymore, and wasn't played in that role for the Flames last year.
I tend to use 1-15 being the best, then the next group from 16-45 being the tweener 1st line players, then 46-75 being the tweener 2nd line guys.

Adds for more flexibility when you have someone who is all about points only vs someone that's a two way guy like Backlund.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2017, 04:25 PM   #167
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

By the way, I love that Gully isn't screwing around this year and we are actually playing players where they will likely be playing already.. REFRESHING.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:02 PM   #168
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Versteeg is what he's always been - he's a very good 2nd/3rd line winger. He scored 34 points last year but he only played 69 games. Two years ago, he scored 34 in 61.

His knock is, he always misses 10-20 games a year, and you can't commit term to people like that. He's the perfect veteran free agent signing.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:19 PM   #169
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post

Gaudreau 20/25 - Monahan 25/30 - Ferland 15/20
Tkachuk 15/20 - Backlund 15/20 - Frolik 10/15
Versteeg 10/15 - Bennett 10/15 - Brouwer 10/15
Hamilton 0/5 - Stajan 0/5 - Lazar 0/5
Jankowski and other call-ups - 0/5 over the season

Forward goals - Low side would be 160, let's say 165.

Brodie 5/10 - Hamonic 5/10
Kulak 0/5 - Stone 0/5
7th D -0/5 over the season

Defensemen goals - low side would be 40, let's say 42.

Seems reasonable? Most guesses are on the low side. If the team takes a step forward and plays more consistently (especially from the start of the season), 225 GF seems entirely doable. It would just take a forward or two to hit the high side of their range and perhaps the PP to be a little better.

207 would rank us 22nd in the 15-16 season. 225 GF (an improvement of 3 from last season) would put us right in the middle of the pack last season.
Those are about the most conservative goal totals that can conjured. Even an oilers fan would estimate higher.
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jonkaupp For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2017, 07:24 PM   #170
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Versteeg is what he's always been - he's a very good 2nd/3rd line winger. He scored 34 points last year but he only played 69 games. Two years ago, he scored 34 in 61.

His knock is, he always misses 10-20 games a year, and you can't commit term to people like that. He's the perfect veteran free agent signing.
Yep, that's why I'd really like to bring in Jagr if two of Jankowski/Foo/other forward prospects don't make the Flames out of training camp.

Versteeg will miss his games and I could see him and Jagr almost being a platoon with Jagr getting some rest if Versteeg doesn't miss a lot of games, but he probably will.

Injuries will hit and I think Jagr would be a huge addition for this forward group and would pay off throughout the year.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:16 PM   #171
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

What's with the Jagr talk still. He's not coming here lol
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 442scotty For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2017, 09:03 PM   #172
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
What's with the Jagr talk still. He's not coming here lol
I don't think it's dead at all, I think Brad would like to add at least one more vet to the forward group, to add a real NHL depth forward in case of injury. He needed to get Bennett dealt with and may even wait through training camp a bit to see what the young guys have to give.

I think for the first time in years this franchise is content at defense heading into camp and won't add, you can't say the same for forwards, you'll likely see some kind of addition and Jagr would make a lot of sense.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:29 PM   #173
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Versteeg is what he's always been - he's a very good 2nd/3rd line winger.
So he is and always has been a very good 2nd/3rd line winger. . . . who could only land a PTO last season?

Again, I'm not unhappy with his prefomance last year, but lets take off the homer glasses. He's a complimentary player who can provide a veteran presence and slot into a lot of places in a pinch. That's a valuable asset, but no replacement for a true top 6 guy, which is a big part of the reason why the Flames were 17th on offense last year.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2017, 10:47 PM   #174
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So he is and always has been a very good 2nd/3rd line winger. . . . who could only land a PTO last season?

Again, I'm not unhappy with his prefomance last year, but lets take off the homer glasses. He's a complimentary player who can provide a veteran presence and slot into a lot of places in a pinch. That's a valuable asset, but no replacement for a true top 6 guy, which is a big part of the reason why the Flames were 17th on offense last year.
He's a 0.5ppg winger. He's good with the puck on his stick. He can play on the powerplay. He can play 5v5.

He misses 15-20 games a year. He has for several years in a row. That's why he can't get term. If Kris Versteeg had played 80 games the last five years, he'd still be a Blackhawk.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:13 PM   #175
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkaupp View Post
Those are about the most conservative goal totals that can conjured. Even an oilers fan would estimate higher.
I would really like my favorite team to be able to average over 3 goals a game, for no reason other than it makes for a more interesting brand of hockey.

It is a commentary on the state of the game that 2.5 goals/game only puts you in bottom third of league.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:15 PM   #176
Plaedo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I don't think it's dead at all, I think Brad would like to add at least one more vet to the forward group, to add a real NHL depth forward in case of injury. He needed to get Bennett dealt with and may even wait through training camp a bit to see what the young guys have to give.

I think for the first time in years this franchise is content at defense heading into camp and won't add, you can't say the same for forwards, you'll likely see some kind of addition and Jagr would make a lot of sense.
I agree. From both sides (Brad Treliving's, and Jagr's) I think the signs pointed to seeing what training camp brings, but that there is still a real possibility that he lands in Calgary at some point. When Jagr's side was hinting that he might play for his own minor league club in Europe because it gave the flexibility to join an NHL team even midway through the season, they were really communicating that there is/are target team(s) that Jagr wants to play for if they have space and a need for him, and he is willing to wait some.

BT hinted that there has been some interest but, alas, he is non-committal and won't sign him yet, like a good GM would do in this scenario. With so much promise in a number of prospects, one would want to see what the young guys truly have first, if they are legitimately ready and bring sufficient talent. Giving them experience and allowing them to grow with the young team would be the most desirable outcome. It would also leave cap flexibility to work with throughout the season. Jagr is a great plan B that brings other intangibles, and it's even possible he signs somewhere midway into the season. I don't see it as being dead either. It's not dead until he commits to another club.
Plaedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 12:13 AM   #177
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

My dream lineup (not including any wishful signings):

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Jankowski - Versteeg
Stajan - Lazar - Foo/Poirier
Foo/Poirier

Gio - Hamilton
Brodie - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone
Wotherspoon

Smith
Lack

Also would like:
Jankowski - Backlund - Frolik
Tkachuk - Bennett - Versteeg

What I expect:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Versteeg - Bennett - Brouwer
Stajan - Jankowski - Lazar
Hamilton

Gio - Hamilton
Brodie - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone
Bartkowski

Smith
Lack
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:12 AM   #178
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post

SNIP

Seems reasonable?
No, doesn't seem reasonable at all. Those are the same or worse numbers for almost everyone in down years. Seems unlikely, especially the way the team played in the last 40 versus the first 40 game. The Flames scored 226 in a down year for many of their big scorers. My kick:

Gaudreau 25/30 - Monahan 30/35 - Ferland 20/25

Gaudreau and Monahan both suffered through injuries last season, and Gaudreau was slow out of the gate as a result of the contract debacle. Gaudreau is motivated and that means good things. Definitely bigger numbers from him, meaning bigger numbers from a healthier Monahan. Ferland is going to surprise the crap out of people this year. I have a feeling this is going to be his breakout season and he's going to be a force on this line. I think I may be too conservative on this projection. I think this is going to be one of the best lines in the game this season and be a scoring machine. (75-90 as a line)

Tkachuk 20/30 - Backlund 15/20 - Frolik 15/20

I fully expect Backlund to take a step backward this year. He was awesome last year and had a career year. I don't expect a repeat of that performance. I don't see a huge drop off though. Frolik is what he is. He is a 15-20 goal guy and has been for the past four seasons. I see nothing that would indicate he is headed backwards. Every second year player has potential to see their scoring diminish as they suffer the sophomore jinx, or increased expectations. Tkachuk does not come across as a player that will wilt under the pressure of higher expectations. I think he takes the next step toward being one of the Flames highest paid players in two seasons. (50-70 as a line)

Versteeg 5/15 - Bennett 15/25 - Foo 10/15

Sam Bennett is going to score this year. How much he scores this season will be dependent on his PP time, the chemistry on his line, and their ability to dig pucks out of the corners. This is my concern on this line, they may not have someone to dig pucks out. I think they start this way but may have to play some line makeup Bingo to find the right guy to dig pucks out. Could see Brouwer, Lazar or Jankowski in the mix on this line during the season as well. This will be the nice thing about the mix they have, they have some good options in moving players around and finding chemistry. Foo, if he sticks, is going to surprise. His shot is sneaky quick and appears to be heavy. He seems to surprise goaltenders with his release and pucks get through. I think it just depends on whether the coaches are convinced of his two-way play to make the team. Versteeg is Versteeg. He'll get some PP time and he'll chip in offense here or there. I think his production will be down as I don't think he's going to be relied upon as much as he was last season. (25-45 as a line)

Lazar 5/10 - Jankowski 10/15 - Brouwer 10/15

I don't see this a 4th line with limited ice time. I see these as guys that will be moving parts and could play on other lines throughout the season. I think that as a line they will be very good and provide some offense on their own, but because of injuries and cold performances, these guys will find their scoring predominantly in other roles. As a line I expect them to play hard and chip in where they can. (20-25 goals as a line)

Hamilton, Stajan, and other call-ups - 10/15 over the season

Forward goals - 185-195.

Brodie 5/15 - Hamonic 5/10
Kulak 5/10 - Stone 0/5
Wotherspoon and defensive callups over the season - 0/5

I think our reliance on defensemen to score will be less this year. I don't expect them see a significant drop in scoring I think we see about the same from the past couple of years, it will just be more distributed. (40-45 goals from the blueline)

Total GF: 225-235, which should put them top of the middle tier of teams in the league.

If things come together and players play to their ability, I would not be surprised to see this lineup come closer to 250 goals, and be in the middle of the top 10 in goal scoring. While everyone is gooing over McJesus in Edmonton, this team will be quietly turning into a top end team similar to the '89 cup team in makeup. The pieces just need to be put in the right places.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:31 AM   #179
Fan69
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Well done assessment and I agree on a great deal, especially about Ferland.

Howèver I think the 3m line will be better. Tkachuk is going to improve and quite frankly i could see Frolik being shuffled down. I like frolik but more offense on that wing would make the second power play better, and I don't see Backlund regressing.

Also by 30 games in I see whatever line Jankowski is on to be a problem for other teams. Size, skill, and skating learning from an old dog. I kind of like it.
Fan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:57 AM   #180
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkaupp View Post
I think he's a good 15 goals light on the forwards, most of it coming from the first line.

plus a good 45 from the back end gets you to 220
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post: