Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 09:48 AM   #461
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
It better have a life span of >30 years. Cities need to stop building anything that has a lifespan of less than that. Would anyone buy a house that needs to be demolished in 30 years? Fifty years should be the bare minimum that this building should be in service with at most one major and a couple minor renovations.
So PLEASE PLEASE include a 30,000sq ft teleportation deck.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:48 AM   #462
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo_t_baggins View Post
Nenshi said that CSEC refused to move forward unless the Saddledome was demolished and could no longer host concerts
Sure, but the Flames don't own the building. Or the land. It would be like the city including some green line LRT charges, those things were going to happen anyway.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:48 AM   #463
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Nenshi says he has seen the projected money that a new arena will generate over the Saddledome and that it is very substantial. $5 million/year in property taxes is a drop in a bucket compared to that. He could not share the exact numbers because of a NDA.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:49 AM   #464
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo_t_baggins View Post
Nenshi said that CSEC refused to move forward unless the Saddledome was demolished and could no longer host concerts
In that case demolition charge... justified.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:49 AM   #465
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCoGnEtO View Post
Then it is officially part of the cost of building a new arena. Case closed.
Ha, I hadn't thought of this. Excellent point.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:50 AM   #466
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Sure, but the Flames don't own the building. Or the land. It would be like the city including some green line LRT charges, those things were going to happen anyway.
Then the don't have to tear it down, either!
Old 09-15-2017, 09:50 AM   #467
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I'm not sure why that would be a sticking point. King said it couldn't host concerts anymore anyway

It still shouldn't be it the city contribution. To me it should be in that outside infrastructure component because at some point the Saddledome goes down. I suspect it is where it is because that 25 million can be converted to cash as a negotiating point.

So the city's final offer is likely 155 cash plus 30 land plus we own you pay us property tax equivalent in rent on the city portion of property tax (until 155 is repaid without interest) and no one pays the provincial portion of the property tax.
Technically, it would come off the total price tag too, so more like 16 million extra cash.
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 09-15-2017, 09:51 AM   #468
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess is the Flames proposal is this

City - 50%
Flames -25%
Ticket tax - 25%

Claiming a 50/50 split but really they pay a quarter and the user pays a quarter. I agree that money comes from the Flames if they don't increase ticket prices but I assume this will be a ticket tax above and beyond the current cost to go to the Dome
Old 09-15-2017, 09:52 AM   #469
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

It just feels like the CSEG was set on CalgaryNEXT and now they're just throwing a massive adult temper tantrum about not getting that arena. The city seems 100% reasonable with the offer and its a melon scratcher why the Flames came out this week.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:52 AM   #470
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
Objecting to it is fine, and you're right it's kind of bogus. But stomping their feet and walking away from the table is just childish. Come back with a proposal that removes it and keep the talks moving.
No that part's fair. I guess I've found myself on the "pro-flames" camp on this board but I believe that what King pulled on tuesday was ####ing stupid and the 1/3 1/3 1/3 framework is the most equitable.

Also agree with others that I'm nervpus if the Flames are the one designing the arena, they can't even get a jerseys or anniversary patches right.
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2017, 09:52 AM   #471
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post

City - 50%
Flames -25%
Ticket tax - 25%

Claiming a 50/50 split but really they pay a quarter and the user pays a quarter. I agree that money comes from the Flames if they don't increase ticket prices but I assume this will be a ticket tax above and beyond the current cost to go to the Dome
Plus no property tax.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:53 AM   #472
Bent Wookie

Maybe I'm out to lunch here, but isn't there some risk taken by the CSEG over the course of those 35 years? I mean it seems to be that the city is guaranteed their money back but like any business, couldn't the CSEG face all those risks associated with running a sports franchise? They may make money, they may not.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2017, 09:53 AM   #473
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post

City - 50%
Flames -25%
Ticket tax - 25%

oh, sweet summer child
Old 09-15-2017, 09:55 AM   #474
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting that the Flames wanted to ensure that the Saddledome was demolished...it makes sense as you don't really need the competition around (although we may need that Saddledome for the Olympics!). But I agree if that's CSEC demand, then it's part of the math.

It does hilight though why don't really want to own an arena in the first place...you're the one left holding a pretty expensive bag at the end of it's life cycle.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:55 AM   #475
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
oh, sweet summer child
I should have clarified. They will increase their typical % but with the ticket tax will we see a double digit increase as STH?
Old 09-15-2017, 09:55 AM   #476
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Nenshi says he has seen the projected money that a new arena will generate over the Saddledome and that it is very substantial. $5 million/year in property taxes is a drop in a bucket compared to that. He could not share the exact numbers because of a NDA.
Well it's easy for him to say that when the Flames would be owning the building. I wondering what his comment would be if the city owned it and the Flames were paying rent.

I'll take this comment with a grain of salt unless the projected numbers are released.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:57 AM   #477
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent Wookie View Post
Maybe I'm out to lunch here, but isn't there some risk taken by the CSEG over the course of those 35 years? I mean it seems to be that the city is guaranteed their money back but like any business, couldn't the CSEG face all those risks associated with running a sports franchise? They may make money, they may not.
The city does not get there money back at all here. The city collects property tax on a business like any other business in the city. They are not providing a tax subsidy in addition to a land and capital study.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:57 AM   #478
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Drop the puck!!!!
Old 09-15-2017, 09:57 AM   #479
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Well it's easy for him to say that when the Flames would be owning the building. I wondering what his comment would be if the city owned it and the Flames were paying rent.

I'll take this comment with a grain of salt unless the projected numbers are released.
Not really. My takeaway from that press conference was that barring a revenue sharing deal, the Flames will still get 100% of the revenue regardless if the city owns or the Flames own the arena.

The only way city gets money is via rent or property tax.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2017, 09:59 AM   #480
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
No that part's fair. I guess I've found myself on the "pro-flames" camp on this board but I believe that what King pulled on tuesday was ####ing stupid and the 1/3 1/3 1/3 framework is the most equitable.

Also agree with others that I'm nervpus if the Flames are the one designing the arena, they can't even get a jerseys or anniversary patches right.
I think we're on the same page. I've been pro-flames as well, prior to this week. I can't stand disingenuous posturing or threats in a negotiation. Combined with other stupid things from the flames lately, like the incompetent calgaryNEXT proposal and the jerseys, I'm just really frustrated.
Closed Thread