Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 09:37 AM   #441
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_eoj View Post
If the 185 MM contribution from the City is not a loan, I don't see how that deal isn't taken.

I assume the City will recover this amount with property tax.

This proposal doesn't seem to show how much the Flames pay to use the facility.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:38 AM   #442
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
I assume the City will recover this amount with property tax.

This proposal doesn't seem to show how much the Flames pay to use the facility.
Nothing. They own it (if they are paying property tax).
Old 09-15-2017, 09:38 AM   #443
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will credit the City with this though: They at least appear to be proficient with Power Point.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2017, 09:39 AM   #444
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
About 1.5% of value so about 8 million but a chunk of that is provincial and I'm not sure how they asess the value of the property.
This would be the sticking point then, they want to be property tax exempt and get the 185 million for nothing.

Uh... Lance Uppercut.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:39 AM   #445
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
The infographic suggests that the Flames would receive all arena revenue. That presumably includes any facility fees charged for converts, events, etc.

And unless this arena will have a life span > 30 years, it's unlikely that there is any need for a cap (although I agree that is a carrot that the City might reasonably add to the agreement).
It better have a life span of >30 years. Cities need to stop building anything that has a lifespan of less than that. Would anyone buy a house that needs to be demolished in 30 years? Fifty years should be the bare minimum that this building should be in service with at most one major and a couple minor renovations.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2017, 09:39 AM   #446
Redlan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The fact that the cost for demolition of the Saddledome is on here is a joke. If the same rational is used a "New Stadium Demolition" line item can be added on the Flames' Ownership pays graphic. It is almost as if they said "We are 25 million short, what could get us there? How about we put an arbitrary figure for the demolition of the Saddledome, ...cause you know... tenants are always asked to look after this".

Last edited by Redlan; 09-15-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:40 AM   #447
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Carrie Tait‏Verified account @CarrieTait 5m5 minutes ago
Replying to @CarrieTait
Flames owners would own the arena, Nenshi says. But open to other ideas like #yyc own then rent it to Flames.

Carrie Tait‏Verified account @CarrieTait 4m4 minutes ago
More
Replying to @CarrieTait
Nenshi tossing out other ideas Calgary would consider. Example: City take an equity stake in the Flames. #yYc #Yyccc

Carrie Tait‏Verified account @CarrieTait 3m3 minutes ago
More
Replying to @CarrieTait
Clarification: The "community" wd take equity stake in Flames. Hi, Riders! #yyc #Yyccc
Old 09-15-2017, 09:40 AM   #448
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand what the "non-property tax" contribution means. Just cash?

I'm also curious as to how the Done demolition is a "contribution", unless the Flames' current lease says they are responsible for that. It may be something the City has to do as owner of the building, but unless there's some agreement that the Flames are currently on the hook for it, I don't see how that's a factor at all.

"Land" I get, though I suppose the actual value of that land as it is now is debatable.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:40 AM   #449
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I will credit the City with this though: They at least appear to be proficient with Power Point.
Yeah, their infographic game is tight.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2017, 09:40 AM   #450
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Nenshi says the city is open to who owns the arena.

If the Flames own it, there will be property tax.
If the city owns it, the Flames will pay rent.

Nenshi says that who fronts the money for the ticket tax is up for negotiation. In the city's proposal CSEC will front the money

Nenshi also says the property tax is also up for negotation. The municipal act allows for exemptions for professional teams. He estimates $5 million/year to be appropriate.

Nenshi thought deal was close before CESC stopped negotiations.
The City's position is so reasonable. I don't know what more the Flamescan plausibly ask for.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:42 AM   #451
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The City's position is so reasonable. I don't know what more the Flamescan plausibly ask for.
I don't think they're going to ask for more, from Nenshi at least. I suspect if he's reelected they probably hash out something close to what the city is offering. What they want is their preferred mayoral candidate to win so he can give them a sweeter deal. But that's probably not happening given that Nenshi is coming out ahead at the end of this week.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:43 AM   #452
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I mean, as others have pointed out, the saddledome demo charge is kinda bogus. If I was with the CSEC I'd also object to having to front the money for the ticket tax.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:44 AM   #453
frodo_t_baggins
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
I mean, as others have pointed out, the saddledome demo charge is kinda bogus. If I was with the CSEC I'd also object to having to front the money for the ticket tax.
Nenshi said that CSEC refused to move forward unless the Saddledome was demolished and could no longer host concerts
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to frodo_t_baggins For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2017, 09:44 AM   #454
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The hilarious thing about all of this is that the Flames announcement was all a political play to get Nenshi voted out. Instead, they have strengthened his re-election bid. Tough to see him losing after this charade.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:45 AM   #455
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo_t_baggins View Post
Nenshi said that CSEC refused to move forward unless the Saddledome was demolished and could no longer host concerts
Then it is officially part of the cost of building a new arena. Case closed.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:45 AM   #456
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCoGnEtO View Post
The hilarious thing about all of this is that the Flames announcement was all a political play to get Nenshi voted out. Instead, they have strengthened his re-election bid. Tough to see him losing after this charade.
I don't know if it will play a big part either way. People on both sides are claiming the public backs them, with no real data to support it.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:46 AM   #457
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough. I can see the objection to the demolition cost. But it certainly appears that those collateral issues are negotiable.

I'd like to see a requirement that CMLC have full responsibility for design and development of the arena. Would significantly reduce the risk of cowboy boot shaped arena.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:47 AM   #458
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Objecting to it is fine, and you're right it's kind of bogus. But stomping their feet and walking away from the table is just childish. Come back with a proposal that removes it and keep the talks moving.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:47 AM   #459
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
It better have a life span of >30 years. Cities need to stop building anything that has a lifespan of less than that. Would anyone buy a house that needs to be demolished in 30 years? Fifty years should be the bare minimum that this building should be in service with at most one major and a couple minor renovations.
Yeah, I was thinking along these lines as well. The Saddledome is a bit of an outlier because it cant really be expanded because of its location and it cant really be renovated because of its style.

Hopefully thats something thats being thought about with any potential new arena.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-15-2017, 09:48 AM   #460
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo_t_baggins View Post
I'm not sure why that would be a sticking point. King said it couldn't host concerts anymore anyway

It still shouldn't be it the city contribution. To me it should be in that outside infrastructure component because at some point the Saddledome goes down. I suspect it is where it is because that 25 million can be converted to cash as a negotiating point.

So the city's final offer is likely 155 cash plus 30 land plus we own you pay us property tax equivalent in rent on the city portion of property tax (until 155 is repaid without interest) and no one pays the provincial portion of the property tax.
Closed Thread