Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2018, 10:18 AM   #1661
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
He wore a princess dress to a Halloween dress-up visit to sick kids in a hospital and now 868904 is making a huge leap.
Ahh yeah thats a HUGE leap.

Thanks for clearing that up.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:19 AM   #1662
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He wore a princess dress to a Halloween dress-up visit to sick kids in a hospital and now 868904 is making a huge leap.
If you read my original post, you'd realize what I am saying is that I don't care what he does personally or what his personality is. He can be whoever he wants to be, I just expect him to do his job, which includes showing up for the media year end interviews and facing the music. Giving some damn effort in the defensive end is also part of his job that I would have liked him to do.

Secondly, he dressed up twice as a woman, as Elsa and as Wonder Woman. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, though perhaps it came out like that. He probably did it to make the kids laugh, in which case, good for him.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:21 AM   #1663
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
I really wonder now if Dougie & Brodie clashed over losing his top spot to Hamilton. It seems like since Hamilton came to Calgary that was when Brodie started to decline.
That would be pretty disappointing on the part of Brodie.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:24 AM   #1664
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
I really wonder now if Dougie & Brodie clashed over losing his top spot to Hamilton. It seems like since Hamilton came to Calgary that was when Brodie started to decline.

?

2015-16 was the best individual season of Brodie's career, whether paired with Russell or Gio.

The reality is that we've never had a #4 who fit seamlessly. Russell was a possession drag. Jokipakka wasn't a #4. Wideman got blown by multiple times a shift. Stone is a #5/#6 on a competitive team, although he did have chemistry with Brodie. And Hamonic / Brodie did not suit each other. I argued last year that we should have signed someone like MDZ to pair with Hamilton or Brodie as that would have been a better fit in my eyes in the modern NHL but we went a different direction.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 06-25-2018 at 10:27 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:25 AM   #1665
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
If you read my original post, you'd realize what I am saying is that I don't care what he does personally or what his personality is. He can be whoever he wants to be, I just expect him to do his job, which includes showing up for the media year end interviews and facing the music. Giving some damn effort in the defensive end is also part of his job that I would have liked him to do.

Secondly, he dressed up twice as a woman, as Elsa and as Wonder Woman. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, though perhaps it came out like that. He probably did it to make the kids laugh, in which case, good for him.
I read it, I just think you should be a little more careful with your terms. You basically said you didn't care about his cross dressing and provided zero context into what was actually happening. Which was dressing up on Halloween to go visit some kids. That's not right.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2018, 10:31 AM   #1666
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajazz View Post
If someone told CP that BT would trade for a middle six forward and a defenseman a week ago - would you say that sounds logical? Especially if it's Hamilton?

No, you send Hamilton and whatever is needed to get a top line forward.

Lindholm is only two years younger than Ferland who might cost you 4-5 million on his next contract. Lindholm is probably coming in at 5+.

That's why I hate the trade. The Calgary Flames are not a better team after the trade. We might be, so again, we traded on of our most valuable pieces for two good players with potential.

So now we are left with pretty much 0 pieces to trade for scoring help. Brodie is needed, Gio is Gio, Hamonic well... yea so hey who wants some D prospects and a 1st? Hold on, we didn't have one.

I love to have Hanifin & Lindholm on the team. Great players. But we didn't need Hanifin, we didn't need to replace Ferland with Lindholm. We needed someone who could step in and score 30 goals.
Why would we not need Hanifin? Who moves into the top 4 to replace Hamilton? Essentially we got two top players for one and Furland will be replaced in free agency.

Also, from the perspective of the fan base looking forward I like that we got young guys that are improving. In a year where we had no blue chip picks that is a good thing.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:31 AM   #1667
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post

Princess Leia too.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:37 AM   #1668
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Flames were dealing from a position of weakness. Yes, Hamilton is an a great defenceman. But I'm sure everyone in the league knew about Dougie and off ice stuff. I'm sure they knew about Fox not wanting to sign as well. Plus who knows what other teams were offering?

I think Hamilton may have a decent year if Flavin will cover for his defensively warts. I don't think Ferland will though.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:38 AM   #1669
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Hey, Whatever makes him feel pretty.
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:00 AM   #1670
Meers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well, that makes it official. Hamilton was a locker room cancer princess.
Meers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:08 AM   #1671
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone have a TLDR of the Hanifin interview that supposedly happened this morning around 7am?
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:09 AM   #1672
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope this trade has to opposite effect on both teams than the Phaneuf trade. The Phaneuf trade was largely viewed as a win for the Leafs but in the end both teams lost as the Leafs rebuild didn’t move forward and the Flames were unable to avoid their inevitable rebuild (or get back to the playoffs under the Iggy/Kipper era)

I am hoping this trade works out for both team. I hope the Flames talk about their top line RW and top poring D in a couple years and the Canes have their number 1 Dman and are able to sign Fox.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2018, 11:19 AM   #1673
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I read it, I just think you should be a little more careful with your terms. You basically said you didn't care about his cross dressing and provided zero context into what was actually happening. Which was dressing up on Halloween to go visit some kids. That's not right.
Alright, I apologize for going down that route in my original post. I should have just said "I don't care about his personality" as that was my point. I really don't think his personality or who he is off ice should matter is what I was trying to say.

For the record, I've dressed up as a woman a few times so I really have no problem with someone doing it! Least of all doing it to cheer up kids.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:21 AM   #1674
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Not necessarily true. Its also possible that Hamilton and ferland take steps backwards and fox amounts to a disappointment/doesn't sign.

I'd be unsurprised if Ferland and Hamilton both regress next year given the downgrade in linemates.
I get that, although who really cares how they do with Carolina. Question is how Lindholm and Hanifin do here, and do they make the team better. The original point was about production, which is only one measure. Can Lindholm out produce Ferland's production with the team? Hopefully. Can Hanifin out produce Hamilton? Maybe. Hamilton's lack of PP time in first half of the year is well documented so while GIO certainly helped him, he also might have more to give.

Fox is harder to evaluate. Regardless of whether he signs with Carolina, question is whether Flames received good value. Thought I heard on the radio that Pronman had Fox rated in his top 30 prospects. It's hard to figure out what Fox was worth to this trade so question is whether another team would have paid more.

Two days later and it still stings a little that Flames had to give up both Fox and Ferland.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:29 AM   #1675
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Anyone have a TLDR of the Hanifin interview that supposedly happened this morning around 7am?
It was a pretty lighthearted interview. I was only half paying attention.

Excited to come to Calgary, loves the Pats and Red Sox, Johnny is a legend at BC, Tkachuk is a pest.

I honestly don't remember anything of substance, not that we'd expect any hard hitting revelations. Seemed like a nice kid.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:32 AM   #1676
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm actually excited about thinking of how much the PK is going to be improved with this move. Adding Lindholm's 55% faceoff and overall strong 2-way play (I've seen quite a few Backlund comparisons) this really gives the Flames a #2 pk that doesn't rely on Stajan/Brouwer. Hanifin also sounds much more defensively reliable than Hamilton so we could see him out there too.

I expect to see Lindholm and Bennett paired up as the other middle 6 line with Backlund/Frolik, assuming Bennett isn't moved. Add the PP/RW guy that they are looking to pick up and move Jankowski to the Backlund wing.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
Bennett-Lindholm-(Perron/Neal)
Jankowski-Backlund-Frolik
Mangiapane-Shore-Brouwer

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Kulak-Stone
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:35 AM   #1677
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah if the Flames can basically upgrade on Ferland in free agency then the trade looks more like one core player + unsignable prospect for two potential core players.

Gotta make up for the goal scoring lost in Ferland, then this will be a lot more rosy.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:41 AM   #1678
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless I have missed it (not hard with a thread this long), I have not seen any real comparisons of Hamilton v. Hanifin in terms of:

1. Ice time
2. Plus/minus
3. Puck possession
4. Shots taken/shots on goal
5. Speed
6. Passing accuracy/giveaways

These are the basics. Am sure there is in-depth analysis somewhere, I just haven't been able to find it.

Many are of the view that the two players are very similar in terms of current and future skills such that we essentially received Lindholm for Ferland (and got younger).

My issue is could Tre have done significantly better in terms of acquiring a true top six scoring forward for Hamilton (accepting the view of many that at best Lindholm is "middle six")?
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:43 AM   #1679
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finalllllly read through this entire thread. Only took 3 days lol.

My thoughts:
- Initially not thrilled
- Exciting trade
- we seem to lose goals here, which is the main issue on our team that Treliving has been worried about, so that hasn't really changed here
- I LOVED Ferland but he was definitely inconsistent. Maybe we will still get him back after a down year in Carolina
- Excited about the 2 new guys
- the whole Hamilton situation is weird
- so we are pairing up Hanifin with Hamonic eh? Isn't Hanifin very similar to Brodie? That didn't work out too well this last year?
- who gets my F now?
Old 06-25-2018, 11:49 AM   #1680
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Finalllllly read through this entire thread. Only took 3 days lol.

My thoughts:
- Initially not thrilled
- Exciting trade
- we seem to lose goals here, which is the main issue on our team that Treliving has been worried about, so that hasn't really changed here
- I LOVED Ferland but he was definitely inconsistent. Maybe we will still get him back after a down year in Carolina
- Excited about the 2 new guys
- the whole Hamilton situation is weird
- so we are pairing up Hanifin with Hamonic eh? Isn't Hanifin very similar to Brodie? That didn't work out too well this last year?
- who gets my F now?
HaniFin
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote